HP-2: homepatrol 2 Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnasa

hello All I have a question about home patrol 2 software

do I need to setup Trunking frequencies in the home patrol 2 I have added all the system via software to My Favorites list but do I need to set anything up in order to hear all the talk groups or should it pickup someone please Help.

thank you

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
hello All I have a question about home patrol 2 software

do I need to setup Trunking frequencies in the home patrol 2 I have added all the system via software to My Favorites list but do I need to set anything up in order to hear all the talk groups or should it pickup someone please Help.

thank you
If you added the system by appending from the main database to a Favorites list, all the needed information, including frequencies and any talkgroups that are in the database, would have been included in the system.

If you only want to hear talkgroups that are in the database already, make sure that the system is set to ID Scan. That will scan only TGIDs that are already entered for the system, providing that they are not Avoided (locked out), in a Department that is Avoided (locked out), and the attached Service type is enabled.

If you want All TGIDs, regardless of whether or not they've been identified and entered in the database, you would use ID Search instead. That would get you all active talkgroups, even if they were not in the database, with the condition that they are not already Avoided, and are not in a Department that is Avoided. Talkgroups already in the database would show both the ID and the identified text tag. ID's not in the database would only show up as talkgroup IDs, no text tag.

The ID Search/ID Scan selection is made in Sentinel, under the System Options tab in the Favorites list editor. You cannot toggle between the modes on the scanner itself, only via Sentinel. However, if you also have the Extreme Option upgrade, then you could edit the system via the scanner's on-screen menu to turn ID Search on or off. (ID Search/ID Scan options are not available if scanning using your location and the main database. You must be using a Favorites list to enable ID Search.)

usnasa

ok thank you for explaining this I am hearing talk group now thank you , I also installed a 32 gb sd card but I am getting error
SD card error. It says to disconnect power and batteries for 60 seconds then use Sentinel to clear. I have reformatted the sd card but wont work I put the one that came with the radio and that works fine any idea ?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ok thank you for explaining this I am hearing talk group now thank you , I also installed a 32 gb sd card but I am getting error
SD card error. It says to disconnect power and batteries for 60 seconds then use Sentinel to clear. I have reformatted the sd card but wont work I put the one that came with the radio and that works fine any idea ?
Did you format the card with Windows? If so, you might have better results with this:https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

I had one card that was being stubborn; a quick format to reset it was not working (this was on my HP-2). I ended up using the SD card formatter (the link above), and chose the 'full format, overwrite' option to clear and reset the card. Then, used the 'clear user data' from Sentinel to copy the basic files to the cleared card. That sets up the card and writes the main database (if it's been a while since you updated the main database in Sentinel, I'd suggest getting the latest version beforehand). Once you've 'cleared' the data, then use the Write to Scanner to send your Favorites to the card.

(PS: I've never had luck with the onscreen suggestion to remove the batteries and power for 60 seconds. I have not had a continuing issue with cards on my two HP's, maybe a handful of times in the years I've owned the HP models, the HP-1 since 2011, HP-2 purchased shortly after it was first released.)

usnasa

hello AND thank you

yes i did use the SD tool to format still the same , but i didn't 'clear user data' in Sentinel ? if I use the clear wont i lose all my favorites list in the software ? and do i hook the radio up with the cable while doing that it wont go pass the SD error window on radio ?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
"Clear User Data" is a bit of a misnomer. When you get a new SD card, you should format it (as you did) using that SD Formatter Tool.

That wipes out all files on the SD card giving it a "clean slate". Next certain system type files need to be put on the SD card so the scanner will work properly. That is where "Clear User Data" comes in. "Clear User Data" writes those system files to the SD card. ("Clear User Data" really out to be "Prepare New SD Card").

Following the Clear User Data, you'll want to update the full database and write any Favorites Lists to the newly formatted/prepard SD card via Sentinel.

You won't lose the Favorites Lists that you have in Sentinel. They are stored on your computer and written to your scanner when you tell it to.

You can connect the scanner to the computer via the cable to do all these things, which is easiest for the novice user.

For someone a little more confident with computers, the SD card can be put in a card reader and these tasks performed that way. It goes faster, but you have to remember some drive letters and take a few more steps.

fire701

Feed Provider
Home Patrol 2

Can home patrol 2 pick up MOTOTRBO LCP Recently our VFD went to this system and I found where you buy a 60.00 upgrade for the BCD536 but nothing for the Home Patrol. Also I had another question on the BCD536 is that one time charge or is it each scanner that has to pay $ 60.00 to receive MOTOTRBO LCP
Any Help would be appreciated.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Can home patrol 2 pick up MOTOTRBO LCP Recently our VFD went to this system and I found where you buy a 60.00 upgrade for the BCD536 but nothing for the Home Patrol. Also I had another question on the BCD536 is that one time charge or is it each scanner that has to pay $ 60.00 to receive MOTOTRBO LCP
Any Help would be appreciated.
Unfortunately, DMR (MotoTRBO) is not an option for the HP-2. Neither is NXDN. The only upgrade available for the HP-2 is the Extreme Upgrade. See the linked page for more details. It does not add any new formats to the HP-2.

In the Uniden line, the DMR upgrade is available for the BCD325P2, BCD996P2, BCD436HP/-536HP, and the SDS100. The $60 fee is per radio, not a blanket one time fee for multiple radios. Uniden has to pay a licensing fee for each scanner upgraded for DMR or NXDN. Since Uniden pays for the licensing, the upgraded scanners can actually trunk track a DMR orNXDN system.

Most of the newer Whistler models can receive DMR. Whistler does not charge an upgrade fee, but their scanners do not actually trunk track the systems. They do allow you to link one or more talkgroup IDs and receive the ones selected, but they do not follow the system. However, if your VFD is using DMR on a conventional frequency (not a trunked system), they should work acceptably for that. On a trunked system, as long as it is not heavily loaded with users and traffic, the Whistler scanners do fairly well, even if they are not tracking the trunked system.

Status
Not open for further replies.