USB drive malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

I'm running a BCD536HP to a Dell computer and am using Sentinel and Proscan. Have never had a problem like this before. Starting a few days ago the radio would randomly disconnect from the computer and I would have to turn the radio off and back on before it would be seen by the software. Then today when I turned the radio off and on I got a computer message saying that the "last USB drive you connected to the computer has malfunctioned". I turned it off and on again and then tried to do a firmware update in Sentinel, but the SD card isn't recognized. I took the card out of the drive and used a card reader to determine that it's ok and readable. Could this be a driver or a cable issue?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like a cable or cable plug malfunction.

Moose

It sounds like a cable or cable plug malfunction.

I just tried the old "turning the COMPUTER off and back on again" trick. When I did that I got the message that it was setting up the USB driver. Guess it took the week off,,, Anyway, back working normally and thanks for the reply.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's the little devils that live in the computer. My printer quit working this morning for no apparent reason. I had to delete then reinstall the printer software.

DJ11DLN

How soon we forget...everybody ought to have to run a Windows 95 machine for a couple hours once a year or so. That would re-fix in our minds that a reboot often fixes things that go ker-thunk for no apparent reason.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
How soon we forget...everybody ought to have to run a Windows 95 machine for a couple hours once a year or so. That would re-fix in our minds that a reboot often fixes things that go ker-thunk for no apparent reason.

Or Windows ME or Vista.

Moose

I just tried the old "turning the COMPUTER off and back on again" trick. When I did that I got the message that it was setting up the USB driver. Guess it took the week off,,, Anyway, back working normally and thanks for the reply.

Well, my problems aren't over yet. After the computer restart I don't get the "USB drive malfunction" message anymore but it still disconnected again overnight. I had to turn the radio off and on again to get it to communicate with the software but at some point it disconnected again this morning. Guess I'll have replace the cable next.

Status
Not open for further replies.