Sentinel Profiles on Multiple Computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcat

Is there a way to share PROFILES on multiple computers?

The only way I can see is to copy them from the Sentinel folder structure to the other computer.

Also as far as I can tell the profiles only reside on the PC and not on the scanner SD card, correct?

Ubbe

Everything you can config in Sentinel that are scanner related are programmed in the scanner and you only have to read the profile back from your scanner to each computer to have them updated with the same profile info. If you read the favorites it will tell you if it's gonna overwrite the info you have edited in Sentinel so that you can skip that part.

/Ubbe

papa_p

Copy the sentinel folders to a shared drive. Then under tools and options change the folder location on both computers to that shared dive sentinel folder. The what ever changes you make on one computer will show up on the other computer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Agree with the above. If you network the computers and map drives appropriately, you should be in business.

Profile files are stored on your PC. (Profiles are actually file folders with several files). Whichever one is active in Sentinel is the one whose "contents" are written to the scanner. There is no way to know by looking at/reading the scanner, which profile is active in the scanner.

If you aren't cautious, you can create a headache. For example if you have 5 profiles on your PC and write Profile 1 to you scanner. At some later point, you have Profile 2 open on your PC and do a read from scanner. This will result in Profile 1 overwriting Profile 2 (as in replacing Profile 2), without any warning.

You can guard against this by making backup copies of your Profile file folders. They are located, typically, in your Users/.../Documents/Uniden/Profile directory.

papa_p

Most scanner programs freaks out when they try and access networked files if they are not designed for it.

/Ubbe

Sentinel works fine using a shared drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donirving

Copy the sentinel folders to a shared drive. Then under tools and options change the folder location on both computers to that shared dive sentinel folder. The what ever changes you make on one computer will show up on the other computer.

I created a shared folder environment like papa is suggesting yesterday, and it seems that this is the best option if you have such a network folder to use. However, from the troubles I had I think you want to change the order of things:

First : In both Sentinel programs change the Sentinel folder location to the desired new Sentinel folder on the shared drive and exit Sentinel on both computers.

Then: Copy/paste the original Sentinel folder contents into the new shared Sentinel folder.

The reason is that (as I learned the hard way) when you change the folder path in Sentinel it immediately writes a fresh, empty set of folders (no favorites, etc) to that new folder overwriting what ever might already be there. If you had profiles/favorites there they will be gone. So you need to copy your originals there after changing paths.

Actually, I would recommend starting by backing up your existing Sentinel folder to some other location before you do any of this as a backup in case things go wrong. What could go wrong? Oh I don't know, perhaps for whatever reason changing the path back to the original then back again to the shared folder. It will trash your original files in both locations. You would have to be dumb (ahem, clears throat, averts eyes ) to do something like, but it could happen. Someone also pointed out that you can use your scanner as your backup and "Read from Scanner" to populate new Sentinel folder.

If I am wrong about any of this (but how could I be with my whole 1.5 days of newbie experience? :) ) then someone please correct me.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.