Almost been 30 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

durangoGreg

Well it has almost been 30 days since UPMan posted this:

We've progressed to 1.0.2 in beta, and have a very nice looking app coming. That's the good news. The bad news is that there have been some pretty major pains with getting the WiFi module to work reliably with the app. This seems to have been traced down to something that can be resolved with a firmware update to the module, but the module vendor is studying. They hope to resolve this within 30 days.

30 Days!!!

Not too happy about this. But, we are trying to see if we can resolve it through other means while we await that update. If we can, then we'll have the app out much sooner...but I cannot promise a date at this point, only that it will get released.

Has Upman or anyone else posted an update.

I would really like to get this software soon so that I can use my BCD536HP in my vehicle. Only place to mount it is under the rear seat and I want to use my iPhone as a remote head. Heading out on a 2 week break at the end of May and hoping for this app soon.

bberns22

I would really like to get this software soon so that I can use my BCD536HP in my vehicle. Only place to mount it is under the rear seat and I want to use my iPhone as a remote head. Heading out on a 2 week break at the end of May and hoping for this app soon.

And where will the wi-fi network be?

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber

Plan on a portable or get a 996XT with the BC-RH96 remote head. No way you'll see a full working version in 2 weeks. More like two months.

durangoGreg

And where will the wi-fi network be?

The BCD36HP can set up a hot spot wifi network. No need for cell service or outside wifi. The radio will create the network and the iPhone will connect and act as a remote head.

This has already been discussed before.

JamesO

The BCD36HP can set up a hot spot wifi network. No need for cell service or outside wifi. The radio will create the network and the iPhone will connect and act as a remote head.

What year??

I did find this post by the Forums Manager late last night interesting that it was moved back from the Archives for an update that has yet to be posted??

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...iscovery-mode-bug-same-hp1-4.html#post2183736

Getting prepared for something, maybe?

Hope and Pray is all we can do for now.

JamesO

The problem is most firmware need to be developed serially. Most of the time there may be a few guys working on it, but usually only a single person really controls, compiles and debugs the firmware.

Worked for many places and the better firmware guys also understood the hardware quite well and could quickly and easily separate hardware, firmware and software issues. Many times my firmware guys would find hardware or software issues. Usually had to fight tooth and nail to convince the hardware and software guys they had issues.

Now add networking layers on top of all the other issues, lets just say it is NEVER ready when expected. If the hardware/firmware/software guys are new to networking, well just more fun and games as well as more delays.

Let's just hope Uniden takes good care of the firmware developer and provides unlimited Mountain Dew/Monster and lunch everyday. Chain them to the desk and toss in raw meat.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Iphone remote head is a neat idea. Touch screen interface, etc etc.

I hope amateur radio takes notice. Those remote head units are $$$$...they'd have more sales by having iphone/android compatible units.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Not going out of town but I do plan on wetting a line at the local beaches a few times so my scanning time (and visits to this site) will be minimal (I'm sure there are dozens of people on this site who will be thrilled about that last part :D )

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber

I have not looked much into the Wi-Fi but from what I am reading I am very interested in it. My question is though, will you be able to shut down the scanner properly so it rights to the card with out having to go to the scanner itself?

JamesO

I have not looked much into the Wi-Fi but from what I am reading I am very interested in it. My question is though, will you be able to shut down the scanner properly so it rights to the card with out having to go to the scanner itself?

Do not count on it. Also do not count on being able to remotely connect and turn on the scanner with the App. With the Home Theater stuff I deal with that has AirPlay, the receivers can be set such that there is a "Network Standby" that allows the device to connect to the network and receive "Wake On LAN" type of messages. So you can "Wake Up" a receiver using AirPlay on an IOS device. BUT, there is no way to turn off the device using the IOS device. There are other Apps that do allow remote turn on and off of the receivers. Assuming someone do some forward thinking, this would all be possible. But I have he feeling the Siren App is more for remote monitoring and less about full device control and as a "Remote" head will not likely give the ability to turn the scanner on and off.

Hopefully I am wrong, however, nobody asked my opinion before they designed the hardware platform or the Siren App!

Maybe Uniden will change what and how things need to be written to the SD card as well for shut down, but unclear if this is possible.

Time will tell, we just have to wait and see what is delivered.

daneg

Do not count on it. Also do not count on being able to remotely connect and turn on the scanner with the App. With the Home Theater stuff I deal with that has AirPlay, the receivers can be set such that there is a "Network Standby" that allows the device to connect to the network and receive "Wake On LAN" type of messages. So you can "Wake Up" a receiver using AirPlay on an IOS device. BUT, there is no way to turn off the device using the IOS device. There are other Apps that do allow remote turn on and off of the receivers. Assuming someone do some forward thinking, this would all be possible. But I have he feeling the Siren App is more for remote monitoring and less about full device control and as a "Remote" head will not likely give the ability to turn the scanner on and off.

Hopefully I am wrong, however, nobody asked my opinion before they designed the hardware platform or the Siren App!

Maybe Uniden will change what and how things need to be written to the SD card as well for shut down, but unclear if this is possible.

Time will tell, we just have to wait and see what is delivered.

It would be really good if it could turn the scanner off. I always hated that with my BCT 15x and remote head. I'd have the scanner elsewhere in the car. Turn off the remote head and had to go around and turn off the scanner yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.