BCD536hp wifi and App

Status
Not open for further replies.

salrahman101

Premium Subscriber
The sales rep and the store owner where I purchased My 536hp discussed with me with some uncertainty two issues why we haven't seen the Wifi streaming and control of the 536hp as was promised and a vertices by uniden.

This would require a major firmware and or hardware revision " specifically wifi dongle". That needs to be resolved and implemented before this feature is available. This is why no other software company like
Butel has come out with a siren like app either.

Uniden has receive pressure being a hardware manufacturer of scanners and at the same time creating the capability for its users to broadcast public safety communications over I P.

I personally love my 536. But am being patient for the wifi features. From what I was hearing it seems like we won't see this feature for some time if at all. I hope I am wrong though.
If anyone is buying this scanner just for its wifi features. I would wait.
Sincerely.

JamesO

Vaporware is cheap.

Working out the details and delivering a properly working product, like the commercial says "Priceless"!

Not to knock anyone at Uniden, they made the same age old mistake that many vendors and others have made time and time again, rely on a 3rd party to provide an assembly and did not thoroughly vet and test the product. Either assumed it worked correctly and/or took the vendors word that it worked correctly. WiFi and networking is a complicated technology.

A scanner and networking are 2 very different disciplines and rarely, if ever, do the 2 disciplines cross, much less merge into a single product. There are FEW people that have the experience to glue these together.

This chore is not a simple and easy thing to do, otherwise it would have been done a long time ago.

I wish every bit of success to Uniden and hope they can get everything sorted in a timely fashion, but I would not be expecting the WiFi and Siren App to be available in the near term.

Overall the 536HP does have a lot of good features and performance, so assuming you do not need or want a handheld scanner, I would still recommend a 536HP regardless of the WiFi and Siren App.

I mentioned this before, Uniden should offer a hard wired 100BT USB interface, this would GREAT simply things and would make the 536HP a far more flexible platform.

BigEvil

I solved this problem super super quickly this past weekend. Sold the 536 to a eager new owner who will enjoy it. For me, the 436 does everything I need and after further reflection, owning a extra $600 scanner on the hopes that future capabilities will enable me to use my iPhone to replace my handheld scanner is just too wishful thinking for a number of reasons.

Larkin71

Premium Subscriber
I'm a news director at a small radio station. My BCD536 will arrive tomorrow by UPS. I'm excited about it, particularly the ability to actually have a scanner tell me who is speaking. I haven't had my own physical scanner since my BC248. Once my local police went digital, I was done. For the last year or so, I got back into the hobby but could only use an APP to listen through tune in. Can't tell who's talking and of course, sometimes the feed goes down and I always get agencies from areas I don't cover. This is exciting to be able to do this now. If the Siren App comes out..great. If not, I can take it to work and back if I must, or eventually stream my own scanner over the internet I suppose. But I think they'll figure it out. Like a previous poster said, they have figured out how to stream cameras from home security systems. You'd think audio would feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.