BCD436HP/BCD536HP: some intresting notes on this scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Well, i`ve now had my BCD436HP for a goodly while now (snagged it at Dayton), and for the most part i like this unit :). Display is nice & big, much easier on the eyes IMO, like the look of the scanner, looks a bit more "modern" if ya will, than my older `396XT does (i like that one too, that`s why i`m not sellin` it yet :D), Now that said, i have a question, has anyone else noticed that when you`re monitoring a P25 trunk system the unit has problems staying "locked" onto the control channel? Tested this against my `396XT just now and noticed that that unit had no problems locking on and staying locked on c-channel, the `436HP had problems, symptoms of this are, DAT indicator goes on & off on the display along with the signal indication going from full signal to no signal, which tells me the unit has "lost lock" on the c-channel then regained it (think a light switch being turned on and off quickly here). Is this something others have noticed or is this a function of mabey RFI here in the building i`m in? Right now just putting out a feeler to see what others are noticing/thinking on this. Thanx! N9NRA

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Are you running both scanners right next to each other?

Kinda, what i did was i first tried a different antenna on my `436HP thinkin` it was mabey a problem with the stock duck, didn`t make. Next tried it outside thinkin` mabey it was from something in my pad, still had the problem, monitored with my `436HP for a while then switched to my `396XT just to see if mabey this was a system problem, `396XT worked fine, no problems locking onto the c-channel, `436HP still had problems. What i might do now is hand-program the band plan for that system and see what happens, if i still have the symptoms then i`ll start to consider this a real bug and not just a fluke. I`m hoping this works, if so then i can say it`s a actual bug, and that the workaround i`m gonna try will work. N9NRA

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Update on my test that i just did. Well, that didn`t work ether (i hand-programmed the band plan info as given in the RRDB for the WISCOM system, still have tthe symptoms mentioned (not reliably locking on c-channel), might have to call this `un an actual bug, as i`ve pretty much done all i can to ether resolve it on my own or try to reproduce the symptoms (which i now have done). Here`s hopin` they set an update out there to fix this, it`s kinda anoying. I`d be curious to know if others are having the same problem, and if they were able to resolve it and what worked for them. Thanx! N9NRA

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Not a problem. About every 2 seconds the scanner is going to do "housekeeping" that will make the RSSI go to 0 briefly. If you want this to happen less often, you can set the system hold time to a big number (but then if you scan it with other systems, the scanner will hold on that system for a long time, then go scan the other stuff).

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Not a problem. About every 2 seconds the scanner is going to do "housekeeping" that will make the RSSI go to 0 briefly. If you want this to happen less often, you can set the system hold time to a big number (but then if you scan it with other systems, the scanner will hold on that system for a long time, then go scan the other stuff).

Understood :). But know this, i also had this problem with my `396XT after doing an update (same symptoms as i`m having with my `436HP now) and i fixed it by rolling back to the last firmware, which happened to be the stock that it came outta the box with. As i`ve said before, this is a REALLY GREAT scanner, and i don`t want to have to just let it sit there on a shelf waiting for a fix to this (or god forbid sell it stright away after getting it...that would really stink :(). You`ve done too good a job with this to just let this run on without having some way of making a "reverse movement" when a buggy update comes along (which i can understand from time to time will happen, no one`s perfect here :)). Guess the curious question i will ask now is, what of the feuture of these new scanners, will there be anymore updates/fixes/enhancements, or will these simply head off into "EOL-land" after mabey a year to two years? Hope these stay around a while, as i`ve been looking for something like an HP-1 but with the nice form-factor of the T/XT models, and i`ve found it in the `436HP :), but PRETTY PLEASE! (Yeah, my did used to do that to us kids...quite funny now LOL :D), give us some new enhancements and fixes for some of these issues...PRETTY PLEASE! N9NRA

jasonhouk

Paul,

Can you define "housekeeping" What exactly is the scanner doing?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Checking the status of QKs and other options. It might also do some memory management during these breaks, garbage cleanup, etc.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
To the OP, if you are ever concerned you are not receiving a control channel well because of a reception issue, you can always tune to it manually if you know it and check reception there. My 436 only does housekeeping for a split second, barely noticeable and not even long enough to make the DAT go away on my phase 2 system.

ButchGone

So Paul, is there any advantage to performing "housekeeping" more often, like once every two seconds, over longer periods like 10 or 30 seconds? If just monitoring a Phase 1/2 system, any recommendations for system hold settings?
BG..

Status
Not open for further replies.