BCD436HP/BCD536HP: 3D printed desktop base for BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndnihil

Premium Subscriber
Thought you folks might find this useful if you have a 3D printer or know someone who does.

I picked up a BCD436HP recently, and like everything else tall and narrow, something will inevitably attempt to knock it over if I stand it up somewhere. So I spent a few minutes in CAD and made a desktop base for it. It's loose fitting so you can just pick the scanner up and leave the base on the desk, but I can make a tighter fitting version that will stay on there snugly if there's call for it.

Licence: None/free/use at own risk/IDGAF
STL file here: bcd436hp_desktopbase.stl

Walls of the cradle part are wavy due to it being extracted directly from a bitmap and I didn't bother cleaning it up in processing.
web_DSCN2837.JPG

web_DSCN2839.JPG

Enjoy. I also did a belt clip (straight clip, not button and hanger) that fits a Yaesu VX-2r if anyone is interested.

ndnihil

Premium Subscriber
With the time and effort involved in printing, boxing, shipping, dealing with payment systems, etc... The price wouldn't be competitive for something with a limited market like this.

On a more philosophical note, with the proliferation of additive manufacturing and increasing popularity of FDM style 3D printers, the way we exchange many goods and services is going to change significantly in the (no so distant) future. Files like the STL linked above will be available for paid download and people will just print them out at home in their fancy futuristic replication appliance. It streamlines the creator to consumer process by leaps and bounds.

I'm rather annoyed about not having a flying car, but 3D printing is a nice little taste of "the future" I imagined as a kid.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
There are places you can go and have this "printed", both online and likely locally if you have a graphics oriented printer in your area. My 3D guys told me for a customer over our counter, this would likely retail around $35-40 to print a single unit, including the set up charge.

daveharpe

With the time and effort involved in printing, boxing, shipping, dealing with payment systems, etc... The price wouldn't be competitive for something with a limited market like this.

You should take a peek at ShapeWays...
Run Your Business with Shapeways 3D Printing - Shapeways

You can upload your design and offer it up for sale as print-on-demand. They handle printing, selling, shipping, etc. You get a percentage of the sale.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I like the design and the concept. The only thing I would change (you knew someone would say this!) is to make the base a big wider for better stability.

ndnihil

Premium Subscriber
Nice job!
Thanks!

There are places you can go and have this "printed", both online and likely locally if you have a graphics oriented printer in your area. My 3D guys told me for a customer over our counter, this would likely retail around $35-40 to print a single unit, including the set up charge.
I just googled "bcd436hp desktop stand" expecting to find one much cheaper to substantiate my claim of it being not competitive on a pricing level, but I found no products and the second search result was this thread, sooo...

You should take a peek at ShapeWays...
Run Your Business with Shapeways 3D Printing - Shapeways

You can upload your design and offer it up for sale as print-on-demand. They handle printing, selling, shipping, etc. You get a percentage of the sale.
...given the lack of commercially available products, I could see sticking one up on ShapeWays after I clean this model up and...

I like the design and the concept. The only thing I would change (you knew someone would say this!) is to make the base a big wider for better stability.
...increase the size of the base (I made mine to fit in a certain spot on my desk so it's admittedly a bit narrow). Assuming there is interest?

I'll leave this model up and freely available for those who want to print one at home.

Could you reveal the CAD software you are using? Thanks!
I use several CAD tools, all Linux based. This model was done entirely in 29 lines of OpenSCAD language (including pretty formatting). OpenSCAD is my default/go-to CAD program, but I also use FreeCAD, and on rare occasion VariCAD.

For mesh processing I'll use mostly MeshLab, or on occasion NetFabb, and for vector drawings I tend to go with InkScape. Other graphics duties are done with either GIMP or ImageMagick.

Many of these programs are also available for both Apple and Micro$oft operating systems.

rwier

" ... I use several CAD tools, all Linux based. This model was done entirely in 29 lines of OpenSCAD language (including pretty formatting). OpenSCAD is my default/go-to CAD program, but I also use FreeCAD, and on rare occasion VariCAD.

For mesh processing I'll use mostly MeshLab, or on occasion NetFabb, and for vector drawings I tend to go with InkScape. Other graphics duties are done with either GIMP or ImageMagick.

Many of these programs are also available for both Apple and Micro$oft operating systems ... "

Thanks for the info. Way past my abilities to "go back to school". Spent several years using AutoCad by AutoDesk(?) at work, and that ran about $5K if I remember right. Employer allowed me to install on my home desktop. When I retired in '03, something was done to disable my copy as a prerequisite to retiring. Can't remember clearly, there might have been a dongle activator involved.

Thanks again!

ndnihil

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. Way past my abilities to "go back to school". Spent several years using AutoCad by AutoDesk(?) at work, and that ran about $5K if I remember right. Employer allowed me to install on my home desktop. When I retired in '03, something was done to disable my copy as a prerequisite to retiring. Can't remember clearly, there might have been a dongle activator involved.

Thanks again!

If you've got experience with AutoCAD, you're well prepared to jump into any other CAD environment with the minor exception of OpenSCAD as it's more suitable for folks with a programming background. Everything is described by a language rather than via GUI manipulation. I'm relatively proficient in GUI CAD, but being fluent in multiple machine languages makes OpenSCAD flow naturally for me.

All the software I listed is open source/free to use with the exception of VariCAD which has a $300-$500 license if I remember correctly.

safetyobc

I'm not sure what you could realistically get the price to, but I would think anything at or below $20 would be ideal for a desk stand. I would be in at that price. But again I don't know how much materials, labor etc would be so I may be way off.

rwier

Thanks again ndnihil,

I have nearly zero experience with 3D CAD. However, I could use a good plane geometry/trigonometry program. Did some Googling, and found one that looks to hit the bullseye!

It is LibreCAD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreCAD). Never would have found it without your suggestions.

ndnihil

Premium Subscriber
I forgot all about LibreCAD. I have it installed, but can't say I've ever used it. I tend to keep a lot of CAD tools on-hand because some programs read/convert/manipulate some formats better than others. There is a lot of very cool free/open software out these days.

ndnihil

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what you could realistically get the price to, but I would think anything at or below $20 would be ideal for a desk stand. I would be in at that price. But again I don't know how much materials, labor etc would be so I may be way off.

I ran the model above through several different printers estimate tools and that price point might not be too far off for a basic model.

So far the revised model is smoothed so it doesn't look gnarled, the base will be a bit larger, and I'm thinking about making the base thicker and adding some cavities to fill with lead shot (I like weighted bases), a path to run a charging/serial cable, and maybe some slots at the back to hold a few different antennas and/or batteries.

The downside is that with the extra material, it will run the price up a bit. However, being a made to order situation, I can offer multiple versions without additional overhead beyond time spent in CAD and printing the prototypes here to check for fitment.

Edit: For kicks I just ran that same base model as a 10k gold lost wax casting, and the price was a mere $12,914.18. A bargain if you ask me, but I'd suggest waiting for the revised model.

Last edited:

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I think at $20-30 you'd have interest, and the mods you are doing sound great. And if you could make a buck, I would certainly buy.

ndnihil

Premium Subscriber
I would be in for a 436 plus you could look at a psr800, ws1080, pro668 version also I would be in for one.

I'd have to have them physically in front of me for measuring and test fitting prints. So that would limit me to the BCD436HP, Pro-91, Pro-38, and the VX-2R for the moment. The Square/rectangular base stuff could be done with basic measurements, but I'd have no way to verify the fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.