Garmin GPS /Uniden scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
I believe there are some Garmin automotive type GPS units that have outputs that will work wih Uniden scanners. I saw something about this awhile back.

Does anyone know if this is true and if so what models of Garmin auto type GPS would work?

Thanks,

Rick in Ohio

wrath

The Uniden GPS puck with cables for 79 bucks is just so much easier.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

McCarthy84

The Uniden GPS puck with cables for 79 bucks is just so much easier.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Why is it easier? Both GPS kits offer the same connections and cables.

The problem with the Uniden GPS kit is that the serial connector is much longer and I won't be able to make it fit unless I'm going to cut a piece out of my center console (which is not going to happen, I won't screw up my new $72,000 truck because Uniden is too stupid do develop a halfway decent GPS kit.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Uniden scanners require a NMEA RS-232 GPS input. Any GPS that outputs RS-232 NMEA-format data can be used, although you may need to fabricate a custom cable. You can even install a GPS module in the scanner that will still get and keep a satellite lock with the scanner mounted in the vehicle. I've modded my 435 with an internal GPS, and it keeps satellite lock even when placed under the seat. It has no trouble at all getting or keeping satellite lock in it's normal home in a RAM mount on the center console of my truck.

Having the GPS installed in the scanner eliminates a lot of extra wiring and frees up a 12V outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.