Done With Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7CAS

Nothing, nothing but unacceptable performance (or non-performance) from my pricey 436 and 536. A couple of cheap-o, circa-2003 Radio Shack PRO-2052s run circles around 'em.

The latter provides crystal clear audio; in tandem, the same systems and talk groups on the Unidens, same location, just incredibly pure aggravation.

I like to keep my scanners scanning 24-7. A former media person. A longtime Uniden fan since its products were top-notch, I kept the faith though.

But it's evident the company is no longer what it was. When one pays top price, one expects top performance.

And really. A discontinued, obsolete Radio Shack scanner, both of 'em are superior to Uniden's so-called flagship?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have three Uniden scanners. Never had a problem with any of them. All three have always worked like a charm.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Other than the hiccup I had when I used VMWare on my Mac, my 436 and 536 are pretty damned awesome. I think the biggest problem people have with these radios on them begin deaf is that the antennas that come with them, quite frankly, suck. I thought my 436 was having problems with a P25 VHF system until A. I put a good antenna on and B. Moved it away from my computer. I love them so much I think I'm going to sell my HP2 and 996XT and buy another 436.

JackdAnderson

Premium Subscriber
Bummer, sorry to hear that. I have a 536 and it performs well for me but it took a bit to get things adjusted just right. I also went through the same thing with m gre and my 396T. Take a few breaths and keep adjusting you'll get it working good.

N7CAS

A deep breath

Cool responses. It's just galling. These Unidens are like what would expect form R Shack, and my R Shacks are music as far as audio quality and functioning is concerned. None of the crackling, spitting Chinese fireworks; the audio dropping off or then blasting; and lots of transmissions not even given.

Both of these Unidens fall silent for a stretch. Yeh, on a Friday night. Please. The obsolete Radio Shack models are scannin' away providing the pulse of the community. Of course I compared them, to run a check.

I think Uniden should ship gratis new units. I doubt I'm the only one who thinks I'm not droppin' a dime, no matter how loyal in the past, on them again.

MStep

Cool responses. It's just galling. These Unidens are like what would expect form R Shack, and my R Shacks are music as far as audio quality and functioning is concerned. None of the crackling, spitting Chinese fireworks; the audio dropping off or then blasting; and lots of transmissions not even given.

Both of these Unidens fall silent for a stretch. Yeh, on a Friday night. Please. The obsolete Radio Shack models are scannin' away providing the pulse of the community. Of course I compared them, to run a check.

I think Uniden should ship gratis new units. I doubt I'm the only one who thinks I'm not droppin' a dime, no matter how loyal in the past, on them again.

I'm surprised that you are having problems with both your 436 and 536 units. I'm not one of Uniden's biggest fans, but these radios (I have both) are also kept on 24/7/365, and have been running with no problems. (Out of an abundance of caution, I am knocking on wood right now.) No other units offer the treasure trove of features and functions.

Of course, a lot might have to do with my location. I am pretty much smack in the middle of the NY, NJ and CT areas, and I will admit that most of the stuff I listen to is local--- within 10 miles or so. Thus, I am not sure how these units would work with signals out in the "fringe" areas, although my attempts to listen to stations outside that 10 mile radius have generally been pretty good, even with the supplied telescopic and rubber-duckie antennas.

The only other thing that I can think of which would cause crackling, spitting, and problems with audio would be if something very powerful, RF-wise, suddenly moved in very close to you

Have you had these problems all along with your 436 and 536 units, or did they develop recently?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If you wish to still sell your scanners, please use the Classifieds forums. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

safetyobc

I have had a 2052 and it was just "okay." If I remember right, it didn't even have an attuenation feature and suffered from intermod.

Sucks you are having trouble with the 436 and 536. I find them both to be great radios.

wd4fpu

Premium Subscriber
Problems

Sorry to hear your dislike and problem situation. I got my Brother to by a 436 and his only dislike is that it "will not shut up because it gets everything". I have a 15X and a 996p2, love them both. Just computer programmed the 996p2 last week for a short trip, had it on the GPS feature also. Worked and sounded GREAT. The p25 signals Sounded As The People were IN my truck. Really want to get with my brother an see if I can specialize his desired reception for him.

D

darunimal

First what kind of system are you trying to listen to when your comparing your pro-2052 to the BCDx36HP Series. Second what kind of multiplexer are you using to use the same antenna on all 3. 3rd have you monitored any System w Digital Audio on the 2 scanners. 4th are you using AGC on any of the programmed Systems. 5th what are the Band Defaults set to that your trying to listen to. 6th how long have you owned them. 7th are you comparing Apples to Apples I mean I see you eluding to that, but my 2052 didn't allow me to Rebanded it, for 800mhz so it's been awhile for me.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you never had good reception or it is "they were working just fine, but all of a sudden. . ."

As others, I'm interested in knowing what system(s) you are trying to receive.

It's very possible there could be a logical explanation for all of this and an easy resolution.

captncarp

Done with Uniden

Not ME.........I like em all, GRE, Radio Schack, Whistler and Uniden.

It's not a perfect world........all you Sissey's need to DEAL WITH IT !

LongIslandHonker

FLRailMan Duplicate Account
Banned
The complexion of scanning & basic monitoring has vastly changed within the last 8 years or so, manufacturers of consumer grade receivers & scanners are not going to heavily invest in commercial grade hardware & cutting edge software applications for radio electronic appliances with a risky investment profit return, so they shoehorn low tech applications into what they feel would sell by their mere appearance & promised upgrades & options that haven't been properly Beta tested by "REAL" independent parties who don't have a vested interest or aligned agenda to the product manufacturers, distributors & others of that ilk. I've had many radios of all types & styles from pretty much all manufacturers to date, many good, some bad, some just totally sinful to sell. SDR seems to be a viable affordable & highly flexible option to todays knob & switch unbelievably overpriced radios that are disappointing loyal end users like never before witnessed. Rule number one: Would you put down a deposit on an apartment before you even set foot in it? Many people do. Rule number two: Would you put down a deposit to preorder anything that hasn't even hit the store shelves yet? The first one on the block to have members are guilty of that one, not lecturing anybody because I used to do that too. Rule number three: If you take possession of any device that is self admitted to having a very steep learning curve, conduct your research people (THOROUGHLY) before placing blame, there are unsavory companies that stonewall admitting to selling inferior or defective products & have the money & legal entities to protect what reputations they can salvage before being exposed by consumer protection agencies (IE: The VW scandal) I've learned the hard way like most here to wait until the first product shake out or 2nd or 3rd generation units hit the shelves & have been reviewed & rated by well known beta testers without questionable agendas or long time trusted forum members whatever the website, food for thought. Thanks all for reading & have a happy & safe Memorial Day

N7CAS

Been under the weather, as they say, since I posted my commentary regarding my utter frustration with the the BCDx36HPs. Back on the planet, it's nice reading lots of thoughtful suggestions and questions. Give me a few days as I get my sea legs back and I'll answer every one. Thanks in the meantime!

SCPD

QRT
Shortly after I purchased my 536 I thought the same thing. This radio sucks and screw Uniden kept coming out of my mouth. But I own several other Uniden radios including the HP2 and they all work so well. Could it be the 536HP is such a new un-ordinary scanner? I kept playing with it and found while the beast has some issues a lot of the problems were in fact the user and not the scanner.

I still have several issues with the product and even some suspicions that Uniden may not be the company it once was. But over all The products are great. Have you ever tried to set up a favorites list for a GRE with the GRE software? HA! Now that SUCKS! (PSR800/WS1080)

While we are here, this is my list of questions:

1 - Cannot connect PC or "powered" audio to the scanner without band modulation.
2 - I have the clock fix installed but I still get the 5 second reset screen.
3 - Radio does not like Texas heat - will lock up on power up above 90 degrees. Power cord must be disconnected then reconnected (hard to do when racked up in a Havis console)
4 - still no Siren for Android. I know its in the works and that beta testing is going on now, but the radio was marketed based on things that were either not full functional or still in concept form.

I would not trade this scanner for anything. With it's flaws it's also a rock'in beast! I don't knock UPMan as he is just a representative for Uniden so choking him would be pointless (lol). In fact I am about to jump to the DMR forums and Praise Uniden for the truly exceptional operation of the radio with DMR preview 4. The scanner is operating better than it did at purchase .... weird!

Take it for what its worth!

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I've read the complaints about Uniden 436 and 536 but I own the 436 and it's the best scanner I have ever owned. You must not have your scanner set up right or bad antenna. I use a RS 800Mhz rubber ducky which works great and I also have outdoor RS Discone 25-1300 Mhz antenna which really brings the signals in. I had some problems in the beginning with this new scanner during the learning curve getting use to all its functions but would not trade it for any other scanner now. I have the ProVoice upgrade and pre purchased the DMR upgrade and can't wait for the finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.