Best antenna upgrade for HomePatrol 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very much a newbie to scanners. I bought the HomePatrol 2 because it was supposed to be the easiest to use for people like me who know nothing about frequencies, programming, etc. but still want to listen in to the police and emergency calls. It was easy to program just by entering my zip code (83849) and it does pick up chatter, but it is so full of static that I can't understand what the person is saying. Other threads that I have seen do offer antenna recommendations, but they had enough technical jargon that my simple mind still didn't know which one would work best for me. Can somebody give me a recommendation for a replacement antenna that will work in my area and get rid of the static? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

barrieg4yjs

Suitable antenae.

Dear Horsedreamer.
I have a bearcat bct1`5x,and I am using a discone.my one is the Icom ah8000,quite 'pricey'to buy but an excellent antennae.
Any good amateur radio dealer can supply (or an alternative)for the frequencies you are interested in.Best of luck Barrie g4yjs in England.

K1IWN

Depends on where you are, and what you want. An outside antenna is always the best option. If an outside antenna isn't an option, then a mobile or portable antenna should be explored. Preferred listening MHz ranges may help you narrow that down.

Understand this... no antenna will completely rid of broken signals. Adjusting the range and using Sentinel to form favorites lists can help that. Weather and solar activity is something that cannot be controlled, along with topography... all of which play a role in signal reception.

It took me a while to play around with all of this and try many things as well as several antennas to come up with something that works for me. You may have the same situation, also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
I am very much a newbie to scanners. I bought the HomePatrol 2 because it was supposed to be the easiest to use for people like me who know nothing about frequencies, programming, etc. but still want to listen in to the police and emergency calls. It was easy to program just by entering my zip code (83849) and it does pick up chatter, but it is so full of static that I can't understand what the person is saying. Other threads that I have seen do offer antenna recommendations, but they had enough technical jargon that my simple mind still didn't know which one would work best for me. Can somebody give me a recommendation for a replacement antenna that will work in my area and get rid of the static? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

IT might be the scanner itself. I got mine back in December. In the beginning of Feb it started picking up static in transmissions. At the same time, my other scanners also had some static but the hp2 was the worse. I Chalked it up to possible radio work in county interfering as they started work to switch to P25P2 system at the time. So I waited. After a while, the other radios cleared up the HP2 never did. Then in April, it started missing transmissions that the other scanners would get. I was switching between antennas and another thing between the scanners. No matter what I did the hp2 had issues. Then it stops picking up everything would scan but never pick up. Durning that time I replace the sd card reset the setting several times.

My scanner currently down at Uniden for repair, of course, it been there three weeks already and they have not even brother to look at it. Uniden claims it is shipping on June 5. But I will not hold my breath consider they had for three weeks and did nothing but receive it.

I suspect this be the last Uniden scanner I ever by. Their customer service is horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.