Are the West Virginia State Police frequencies correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kas1263

Are the West Virginia State Police frequencies listed correct? A friend of mine said they were now 400.XXX and P25. On the reference site I see mostly 40.XXX.

Nasby

They are on a trunked radio system called WVA SIRN. It is listed in the RR database.
The older low band stuff is not used.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Some of the low-band freqs are used to repeat SIRN talkgroups, mostly for fire/EMS paging. But the P25 SIRN system is where most of the action is.

kas1263

If I go to Logan County I see all low band frequencies. I do see some high band frequencies in Mingo County. I would like to pick up Mingo and maybe if possible Logan County. Would I want to program Troop 5?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No. WVSP uses SIRN pretty much exclusively, and the older analog frequencies are most likely deprecated. If you want to listen to WVSP, you must monitor SIRN with a scanner that can handle trunked P25 digital.

fredva

Feed Provider
We need to separate the discussion about what WVSP uses from what local county agencies use. Don't look for what the WVSP uses under Logan County or Mingo County or any other individual county. WVSP uses the statewide trunking system listed on this page: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4076

Yes, you can download the data you need from RadioReference. But make sure you are getting info from the SIRN. Identify the sites (towers) that are closest to you, download them, and download the talkgroups for the Troop in your area (Troop 5, I guess).

As far as county agencies, many of them are on the SIRN as well, but some also use local conventional frequencies that are listed for individual counties. If you want the local stuff, you'll need to download their talkgroups from SIRN and their frequencies listed under individual counties.

One additional note: WVSP does sometimes communicate with county 911 centers on local sheriff's talkgroups.

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Don't discount the low band stuff. I hear them used every so often. Also the Direct freqs are used very often in the Eastern Panhandle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
90% or more of low band traffic is a repeat of a SIRN talkgroup.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm not saying delete them, but if the agency you want to hear is on SIRN, you will miss a lot less traffic if you just monitor SIRN. Unless SIRN breaks, which is very rare. I lived in Berkeley County for several years and if police, fire and EMS are your scanning interests, then the best thing to do is system hold on SIRN. All the lowband stuff is on SIRN as well, and comes in more clearly on the digital system.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When you hold on a trunked system, the scanner only has to monitor one control channel for each site within range to receive all of the traffic on the system. In contrast, if you are scanning analog channels, the scanner has to scan every one. Since trunked system talkgroups are not scanned, a scanner can monitor thousands of takgroups on a trunked system by listening to one control channel frequency. So if you hold on a trunked system site, you are unlikely to miss any system traffic, unless there are multiple transmissions happening simultaneously.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I'm not saying you're wrong, just leave your options open. I have multiple scanners and other radios dedicated to specific needs. One of which is only for analog. The OPer asked a question and I was giving my answer. It's up to him to figure out what he wants to monitor and program in his scanner(s). I've been listening the the SIRN before it was really put in service in Berkeley Co.

Without looking back, I'm not sure of the OPer location so in his area, analog and/or conventional transmissions might be in use.

I can pretty much guarantee you that in Berkeley, Jefferson, and Morgan counties if you are not monitoring VHF (low and high), you are missing traffic. Also, if you monitor only the Martinsburg tower for WVSP on TG 9005 you are missing traffic on TG 9007 for Morgan Co. which is on the Hampshire tower among others.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I never said only monitor the Martinsburg tower. And the only stuff I heard on VHF that wasn't also on SIRN was one of the jails and a few other miscellaneous things that weren't police, fire, or EMS. What specifically are you referring to?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I never said only monitor the Martinsburg tower. And the only stuff I heard on VHF that wasn't also on SIRN was one of the jails and a few other miscellaneous things that weren't police, fire, or EMS. What specifically are you referring to?
Also the Direct freqs are used very often in the Eastern Panhandle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
And what exactly do you mean by "Direct" frequencies?

brucewarming

WVSP

I'm in Berkeley Co. WVSP will use 460.625, 460.025, UHF, 156.0300, 158.910, VHF car to car simplex. Very often they use it for "personal conversation" out away of the SIRN system. 155.5250 BC. Medical Mutual Aid, 154.280 Dispatch Mutual Aid Medical.

Status
Not open for further replies.