BC 355N analog - having a blast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

Right - it's not my first scanner and is an apple-to-oranges kind of thing compared to my 996 and 396 - and others.

Power: Fluke meter says it sips about 130ma squelched, and up to about 250ma for full-blast unsquelched / signal audio. So easy to power with whatever you have around - 8-10 AA case, small AGM batteries etc etc for portable use.

My need was basically to monitor a local amateur 927 mhz repeater. Let's just say I'm totally impressed with the front end compared to some other more expensive scanners at 3 times the price, that um, left me whistling in the dark. :) Honestly, I wasn't expecting much but am totally surprised at how well it has been holding up at home and mobile here in L.A.

Triple conversion, and I'm assuming a nice selection of bandpass filters. Wish I knew what they are.

Of course there are limits if you want to push it, but I'm not going there.

METAL case when I expected plastic (aside from the front-panel of course). Popped it open and saw some great build quality, good solder (especially critical with the ROHS requirement), and even some electrolytics that I might change out to non-polarized types if I feel bored and want to improve the audio a tad (yes, even scanners deserve non-polarized caps, metal-film resistors on the dc-rails and audio circuits - but that's me. :)

Most of my use will be pre-programming the "private" bank. Since the Marine freqs are not in use in my area, I locked out about 75 of them and use that as a secondary private bank so to speak. I suppose I could lock out all the Marine for a scan speedup on that bank. I haven't timed how much of a speedup I get when I lock out all the Marine channels. Am careful to make sure I toggle JUST the marine bank when I want my secondary faux-private bank active.

Audio power - It's ok, but sure wish there was more. Face down against a surface it acts much like weaker laptop speakers that rely on a reflective surface underneath. Time for an external speaker, especially mobile.

Still, the scanner seems so "cute", I love having it in use - with realistic expectations. The front end at 800/900 mhz blows me away though. I'm very happy and having a blast. Should have picked one up years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Nice to hear. It's almost like the old days when you got a new scanner with new bells and whistles. It was fun. Real fun. Not so much any more. It's almost like you need a college degree to operate and or constantly 'fix' continuous problems. Not to mention SD card issues. You better know your computer up and down. Not so much fun any more. IMO

mattw19781

AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR KN4VLT
bc 355n

nice to hear that you like the scanner so much i use this scanner as a 2nd radio in my living room and it's cousin the bc355c in my car i love them too great for a basic scanner while i have a couple of higher end scanners in my shack i still use use these scanners everyday

15plus1

I have a BC 355C that I used in the car on cross country trips years ago. Before the HP series came out. It worked really well, I liked it.
After reading your post, I may have to dig it out and start using it again. Thanks !

Ricker1997

Premium Subscriber
BC355N

Just programed 20 channels for local Fire/EMS that I monitor when responding as a volunteer. I will mount it in the Jeep tomorrow.
Much easier than my BCD536HP.
Here we are still mostly analog.
This is replacing my BCT8 that can no longer handle the bleed over from other power full transmitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.