BCD536 vs. BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to buy a second scanner to my BCD436 but am torn between the 536 and the 996p2. I love my 436 and it's ability to record without any software or hardware as well as the database, which is why I would love to buy the 536. However, I like the price point on the 996p2 because it is more in my price range than the 536 right now. What are some pros and cons of either scanner over the other? I am always recording on my scanner, so if I buy the 996, I will probably just record with ProScan.

I currently scan several P25 trunked systems, conventional systems and a few DMR in my area.

I also plan on running a splitter from my discone antenna which is connected to my discone (I can't remember what connectors I am currently running between the antenna and scanner).

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
They're both great scanners. They are about $150 difference between the two on Scanner Master but both are expensive. I vote for the 536. I have 3 of them and one 436 and in my opinion the best scanners on the market.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am looking to buy a second scanner to my BCD436 but am torn between the 536 and the 996p2. I love my 436 and it's ability to record without any software or hardware as well as the database, which is why I would love to buy the 536. However, I like the price point on the 996p2 because it is more in my price range than the 536 right now. What are some pros and cons of either scanner over the other? I am always recording on my scanner, so if I buy the 996, I will probably just record with ProScan.

I currently scan several P25 trunked systems, conventional systems and a few DMR in my area.

I also plan on running a splitter from my discone antenna which is connected to my discone (I can't remember what connectors I am currently running between the antenna and scanner).
The 536HP has better (narrow) filters in it's receiver, making it better on certain systems, including simulcast. However, if you keep the 'problem' systems on the 436 (which also has the better filtering), the 996P2 could handle the rest.

If you are going to split your antenna between the two scanners, consider using a multicoupler to cut down signal loss, Splitting it cuts the signal roughly in half to each of the 2 scanners. If all your systems of interest are local, & fairly strong, that might not be an issue. But if it is, then consider an amplified multicoupler. I use a four port model to split the antenna feed among 4 scanners. The amplification is set to be enough to offset the loss from the split, so that each scanner gets about the same as if it was the only one connected to the rooftop ST-2.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 536 can use the same programming as the 436. Other than the layout of the buttons and knobs and a couple extra menus on the 536 for the Wi-Fi, there is no difference between the 436 and 536.

The 536 can handle more and larger trunked systems than the 996.

If you don't need the Wi-Fi functionality, you should consider another 436.

movinon

Premium Subscriber
The 536 can use the same programming as the 436. Other than the layout of the buttons and knobs and a couple extra menus on the 536 for the Wi-Fi, there is no difference between the 436 and 536.

The 536 can handle more and larger trunked systems than the 996.

If you don't need the Wi-Fi functionality, you should consider another 436.
Love my 536 hope to get the 436 soon

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the above if the price difference is tolerable. There is a lot to be said for nearly identical and interchangable 436/536 programming. If you get a 996 you have to re-create programs.

Programming large trunked systems can be a pain with the x96 series scanners. That's because there is a 20 group limit and large trunked systems often have more than 20 groups/departments.

marksmith

Owning both, I would recommend the 536 mainly because you can duplicate your 436 programming.

Both are good radios, the 536 more technically more advanced, therefore the cost difference.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Status
Not open for further replies.