RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern - For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 10:02 PM

Default hp2 data base fail

I just updated my hp2. It no longer disregards areas far away...I had to avoid all systems across the state.

This bug sucks and should be fixed. Fail, epic. It no longer cares what distance the services are.

Please let me know when this is fixed.

Until then, my trx-2 is the default scanner.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cistercian View Post
I just updated my hp2. It no longer disregards areas far away...I had to avoid all systems across the state.

This bug sucks and should be fixed. Fail, epic. It no longer cares what distance the services are.

Please let me know when this is fixed.

Until then, my trx-2 is the default scanner.
Make sure you don't have 'Full Database' and 'Nationwide Systems' selected.
Old 11-13-2017, 4:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Also make sure your Range setting is no more than 5 miles. Setting it too high will cause the behavior you describe.
Old 11-13-2017, 5:47 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I update mine every week and never have any problems. It isn't a bug it is your programming, your settings, or a card issue.

Last edited by W8RMH; 11-13-2017 at 5:53 AM..
Old 11-13-2017, 1:32 PM

Agree.

Nothing in the database would cause such a problem. Only the way you program your radio would cause such a situation

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2017, 2:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Most likely cause is Range being set way too high.
Old 11-13-2017, 9:27 PM

I had a similar frustrating experience with my 436. When I turned the distance down to 5 miles (which is still too broad for my preferences and location) I really began to enjoy the scanner.

This is not to say the database is perfect or without faults - far from it. Whenever I am driving to Massachusetts from Virginia and get near New Jersey or NYC, some numpty's corrupt database contribution changes my CloseCall from DND to Priority. And no matter how many times I change it back, it keeps changing, over and over, until I get away from the area with that entry... and certain federal systems lists scan sites from across the country, regardless of the distance setting or the GPS being plugged in.
Old 11-14-2017, 2:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Some federal systems actually have sites across the country.

Database data doesn't change close call settings. Ever. The scanner rebooting without saving changes will revert any setting changes made in the menu to their previous value. But database data doesn't change any menu settings.

"Nationwide" systems categorized as such in the database will generally be scanned in their entirety regardless of GPS.
Old 11-14-2017, 6:44 AM

As much as I'd like to prove you wrong, I just don't have the time to scour the database and drill down to find the offending entry, putting it on display for the world to see. But this happened to me on several occasions, in the same areas, with the same result. There was no rebooting of the scanner involved.

As for "nationwide" lists, well, if I turned those off, I'd have nothing to listen to while traveling. Again, I don't have the time to sit down and create any kind of custom list that matches my travels. Kinda defeats the purpose of a database scanner with GPS location. Seems to me someone was just being lazy in creating the federal systems lists in question, which is odd, because they went through the trouble of including the precise location of each site in the alpha tag. Maybe they thought they were doing it the right way, I don't know. But having sites in Clackamas, Oregon, or Snohomish, Washington, among several others, included in a list you're trying to scan locally in Northern Virginia doesn't do much for the listener.
Old 11-14-2017, 7:24 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have been GPS scanning for years, and have never had my Close Call or any other menu setting change due to a database entry. Ever.

I checked in Sentinel and and there are no trunked systems in the nationwide section of the database. Nationwide systems with sites all over the US have all of the sites listed, but that doesn't mean the scanner is scanning every site in the system, unless you imported the system to a favorite list and turned off Location Control--a flagrant user error. The scanner only scans sites it thinks are in range, based on the location data for the site, your Range setting, and the scanner's current location setting.

I doubt you are actually scanning a Snohomish site while in Virginia, but if you are, be a pal and submit a correction to the database so that the error is fixed for everyone.
Old 11-14-2017, 8:04 AM

I don't use any custom or favorites lists. I scan exclusively off the Sentinel database national list with specific lists and service types selected... And don't get me started on service types and database entries - a certain P25 system that I monitor is classified under "emergency ops" and the system includes fire, EMS, court security, and a local PD a few towns over, none of which I have any interest in listening to (which is why I don't have any 'EMS' or 'fire' service types selected). But if I turn off "emergency ops", I lose that systems sheriff's office channels I want to monitor, even though all the 'law' service types are selected.
Old 11-14-2017, 8:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Again, if there are errors in the database, it's easy to submit corrections--the "Submit Info" button on the top of every RR page. If you know of an error and don't do anything to correct it, you have no right to complain about it. And you're screwing over everyone else who listens to that system.

It's not that hard to add stuff to a Favorite List, and tweak the Service Types and other info if there are errors. It's also a good way to verify that your changes are correct before submitting them.
Old 11-14-2017, 9:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

If they are all on the same talkgroup, not much you can do, if different TG - just avoid them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post
I don't use any custom or favorites lists. I scan exclusively off the Sentinel database national list with specific lists and service types selected... And don't get me started on service types and database entries - a certain P25 system that I monitor is classified under "emergency ops" and the system includes fire, EMS, court security, and a local PD a few towns over, none of which I have any interest in listening to (which is why I don't have any 'EMS' or 'fire' service types selected). But if I turn off "emergency ops", I lose that systems sheriff's office channels I want to monitor, even though all the 'law' service types are selected.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Please post the name/location of the system so we can look at it in the RRDB.

To the OP: Something you did caused the scanner to start "no longer disregard[ing] areas far away". The first thing that comes to mind is you've set "Location Control" to "No" (or "Off", whichever it's called).
Old 11-14-2017, 10:40 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

OP confusing Main Database with Nationwide. Nationwide refers to systems in the HPDB that have coverage nationwide (like CB, GMRS/FRS, Aircraft, etc).

Main Database is the complete HPDB (all systems brought in from RadioReference including nationwide and local systems).
Personal Blog
Old 11-14-2017, 4:52 PM
Technischer Guru
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
Again, if there are errors in the database, it's easy to submit corrections--the "Submit Info" button on the top of every RR page. If you know of an error and don't do anything to correct it, you have no right to complain about it. And you're screwing over everyone else who listens to that system.

It's not that hard to add stuff to a Favorite List, and tweak the Service Types and other info if there are errors. It's also a good way to verify that your changes are correct before submitting them.
Entirely correct. If you know of a specific error, please submit so it can be corrected; otherwise it's going to stay as it is. While we're more than glad to make specific corrections when errors are pointed out, I do not expect our administrators to go on a fishing expedition to find errors on vaguely-described or unnamed systems.

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 11-14-2017, 5:34 PM

In the time it took to complain, it us possible the issue could gave been resolved.

Database issues only effect database.

They have no impact on radio settings, or any radio operations.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others
Old 11-14-2017, 8:15 PM
Global Database Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I've noticed on the x36 products that if you simply update the database, all/most of the settings revert back to default. I don't recall it doing that behavior last year (I don't update mine that often unless I'm traveling, as local stuff is fairly static).

Just last night this occurred when I updated (even though many nationwide systems were avoided and/or turned off) and today when I updated a fav list.

If you read the scanner, then update and write back to it, it seems to preserve the scanner settings for nationwide and avoids.
Old 11-14-2017, 8:27 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJH View Post
I've noticed on the x36 products that if you simply update the database, all/most of the settings revert back to default. I don't recall it doing that behavior last year (I don't update mine that often unless I'm traveling, as local stuff is fairly static).

Just last night this occurred when I updated (even though many nationwide systems were avoided and/or turned off) and today when I updated a fav list.

If you read the scanner, then update and write back to it, it seems to preserve the scanner settings for nationwide and avoids.
I update all four of my radios - 436, 536, and two HP1s - at least once a week if not more often. Sometimes I read the radios first, sometimes I don't, and the radios have never reset themselves.

If you don't read them, they will be configured however the 'profile' settings in the software is set, so if you've made changes to the radio by hand since the last time you uploaded to it, it will appear to be changed.
Old 11-15-2017, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJH View Post
I've noticed on the x36 products that if you simply update the database, all/most of the settings revert back to default..... Just last night this occurred when I updated (even though many nationwide systems were avoided and/or turned off) and today when I updated a fav list....
The database doesn't update the fav list, you have to do that yourself and if you forget to first read the scanner you will overwrite the avoid list with the one you have stored on your PC and it will be reset to a previous date.

I always read my scanner and choose not to overwrite the lists on my PC, it will then only update the profile where the avoid list sits. I discovered that the 536's avoid list are not of the DMA kind. It has a fixed value of max 250. When I search all bands I have all known frequencies avoided to catch new transmissions but 250 avoids are not enough, bummer. Maybe I need to convert to PC based search using Proscan or similar programs.

/Ubbe