BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Bcd436hp trunking discovery when not in the usa

Status
Not open for further replies.

toorkan

Good morning everyone!

I just bought a BCD436HP scanner in Mexico, and I can´t figure out how to scan trunked radio systems. I have no problem with the conventional mode, but I would like to know what are the steps to program a trunking discovery in order to start scanning "from scratch". What are the steps to create a system that scans and adds channels as it finds them? How can I do to scan the P25 and the other digital modes if I don't live in the USA and can't just add my location and let the scanner do the job for me? how do I program the basics in digital modes to start scanning and discovering by myself?

thanks in advance for your help!

Cm1597

Premium Subscriber
Same problem

I live in Bermuda and don’t have zip code and want to program my bcd 436hp
Tia

mciupa

Database Admin
In both cases, it sounds as if you want to jump a few steps ahead. Some preparation will be necessary.

For Mexico, I suggest that you look over this page: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?coid=150

Find the region that you are in. At the bottom of the page are trunked system links. Find the one you are interested in. Next, you will have to go to Sentinel and create a new favorite list. Step by step instructions are in the owners manual. Once you have a favorite list, you can turn on discovery.

For Bermuda, we have go even further back. No real listings in the database, so my suggestion is to do a SEARCH of different bands and note where the scanner stops. If any of the frequencies show DAT or LNK, you have found a trunk system.

Cm1597

Premium Subscriber
Why did Uniden ever make a scanner that can’t be used outside of America or Canada?
Thanks for info $400 down the tubes8

mciupa

Database Admin
Why did Uniden ever make a scanner that can’t be used outside of America or Canada?
Thanks for info $400 down the tubes

I'm surprised that you aren't interested in searching for new frequencies.:confused:

No one has mapped anything out yet in Bermuda.https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=348

Actually, I see two unidentified trunk systems in the database. You could also create a favorite list with those systems and have something to listen to.https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=348&tab=trs

Dedicate some time during the business week and let the scanner search for you. Submit what you find and get it into the database.

I'm sure there are people that would love to get their hands on that scanner if you want to recover your investment.

Last edited:

Ubbe

Even if you had a genuin trunked radio you couldn't listen to a system without knowing exactly how the system works. Your best bet is to use DSD+ to decode discriminator audio from the frequencies you are able to tell are from a trunked system. DSD+ will tell you the parameters needed to enter into a Uniden scanner. The trunked discovery mode in the scanner could probably also be used but it is much faster and easier with DSD+

/Ubbe

mciupa

Database Admin
Your best bet is to use DSD+ to decode discriminator audio from the frequencies you are able to tell are from a trunked system. DSD+ will tell you the parameters needed to enter into a Uniden scanner. The trunked discovery mode in the scanner could probably also be used but it is much faster and easier with DSD+

/Ubbe

The problem in each case is that they have already bought the 436 for ease of use.

DSD+ is not user-friendly for those who want to "plug and play" and requires some time invested to learn about its set up. Once you understand it, it is wonderful for all of its capabilities.

toorkan

Thanks for your help mciupa and ubbe. I already tried the RR database for my state, but it is very outdated (last update back in 2008) and I know for sure that the police and municipality radio services have changed within these time gone by. That’s why I can’t use the RR database. I have already identified some frequencies that show DAT, or sound like “motorboat” or where I can actually hear voice and it shows “DMR” (I upgraded to DMR) followed by TGID and UID. In the case of DMR I don’t know how to identify if they are conventional or trunked receptions, and in the case of the DAT and “motorboat” sounds I think I’ll have to guess what system I’m dealing with and do some try-and-error testing. Will work on that during the week and will update any progress next weekend.

Thanks and best regards!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

mciupa

Database Admin
Thanks for your help mciupa and ubbe. I already tried the RR database for my state, but it is very outdated (last update back in 2008) and I know for sure that the police and municipality radio services have changed within these time gone by. That’s why I can’t use the RR database. I have already identified some frequencies that show DAT, or sound like “motorboat” or where I can actually hear voice and it shows “DMR” (I upgraded to DMR) followed by TGID and UID. In the case of DMR I don’t know how to identify if they are conventional or trunked receptions, and in the case of the DAT and “motorboat” sounds I think I’ll have to guess what system I’m dealing with and do some try-and-error testing. Will work on that during the week and will update any progress next weekend.

Thanks and best regards!

toorkan, you have a gold mine there! Are you South or North Mexico?

Please, please.. copy anything you find. Save recordings, etc.. And most of all, submit it to the database. We can probably format it into a presentable form.

Happy scanning! :D

toorkan

I’m in northern Mexico. Chihuahua State. Sure, if I fond anything interesting I will keep it posted.

Ubbe

I don't recall having to setup DSD+ in any way to start decoding and show the relevant information.
Feed the audio to your PCs line in or mic in and start DSD+ and it has autodetect of the system type.
It really is a neccesity to use DSD+ to map out a trunked system or spend endless hours guessing and trying different settings in the scanner.

/Ubbe

Cm1597

Premium Subscriber
The problem I am having is without a zip code I am un able to scan anything, and if I try to set up location I can enter latitude but won’t let me enter longitude.i have fleet map to use and frequencies for trump system but no way to input them.

Thanks

mciupa

Database Admin
Ubbe:

Perhaps I should have said setting up a dongle on the PC from scratch. I found using a dongle cumbersome. I've used it with a tapped scanner in the past (before I sold that unit) and found it more pleasing to work with.

I'm sure these members would not want to open up their scanners to install a discriminator tap.

Last edited:

mciupa

Database Admin
The problem I am having is without a zip code I am un able to scan anything, and if I try to set up location I can enter latitude but won’t let me enter longitude.i have fleet map to use and frequencies for trunk system but no way to input them.

Thanks

I have an idea. If you send me the information by e-mail, perhaps I could create a favorite list on a .hpe file, send it back to you and you could upload it to the scanner.

Cm1597

Premium Subscriber
That sounds great send me your address or send me an email ggtrott @northrock.bm
Thanks

Cm1597

Premium Subscriber
Thanks mike. It works perfect thanks so much your areal life saver. Feel free to use information in your data base for bermuda

mciupa

Database Admin
Thanks mike. It works perfect thanks so much your areal life saver. Feel free to use information in your data base for bermuda

Fantastic!

I will need a name for the entity this belongs to before it can can be added. A bonus for us would be associated talkgroup numbers and descriptions. But, in any case enjoy your scanner!

Cm1597

Premium Subscriber
What I gave you was the trunk frequencies for this area and a fleet map that I created. Only thing on this scanner I’m not receiving any digital frequencies there’s only a few but not p
Receiving any but receives on my other one by another name.

Status
Not open for further replies.