Obsessively checking this forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mharris

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone else check this forum 2 times a day for a next generation scanner announcement? I remember the excitement I felt in Nov 2013 when I saw the 436/536HP announcement. I'm looking forward to a Simulcast capable scanner!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Don't hold your breath. Upman has indicated that no new flagship models are imminent.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Its called the Unication G4 or G5 ;-)

mharris

Premium Subscriber
Its called the Unication G4 or G5 ;-)

I know. I purchased a G4 in November of 2015 the day it came out. It's great but I miss the scanner features very much.

Unfortunately and despite everyones input (including mine), Unication has made it clear over the last two years it's not too interested in incorporating the features scanner users are used to. This is not a dig against Unication at all - it's not meant to be a scanner, it's their company (and radio) to do what they want with. However, it is disappointing to many that seemingly simple features are not being added despite multiple FW updates. Again - it's ok, just disappointing.

David has been very receptive and I greatly appreciate his willingness to participate in our forums. Perhaps he has no control over the addition of features via FW, or the order in which they are prioritized over the state of Michigan's list of wants/needs etc.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Uniden will eventually keep up with the hobby as they have in the past. If not, I'll continue to use my G4.

Best,

Matt

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Whistler, Unication and Uniden are in a no win situation.
To make a receiver as good as Unication it would cost way to much. So Uniden and Whistler would fail price wise there.
Just as Unication is not able to make the G4/G5 act more like a scanner with a major software overhaul, im sure that would raise the price up. So fail for them.
The good news is, at least for me, With Unication showing they can make a great receiver in a compact size and great design at least its possible for Uniden or Whistler to at least attempt to improve their devices. But to make a device to make everyone happy is darn near impossible.

mharris

Premium Subscriber
To make a receiver as good as Unication it would cost way to much. So Uniden and Whistler would fail price wise there.
Just as Unication is not able to make the G4/G5 act more like a scanner with a major software overhaul, im sure that would raise the price up. So fail for them.
The good news is, at least for me, With Unication showing they can make a great receiver in a compact size and great design at least its possible for Uniden or Whistler to at least attempt to improve their devices. But to make a device to make everyone happy is darn near impossible.

I think it's quite reasonable (and not cost prohibitive at all) for Unication to add a Scan Hold feature and allow menu changes during a transmission. Multiple-System scan is another story.

cpetraglia

I am not sure I agree with that. When I bought my G4, it was $825 and I was happy I bought it. The scanner folks would have had 100% of the Unication sales to hobbyists if they had re-designed the receivers for LSM. They have had 10 years to get it done. They already have the enclosures and all the associated hardware that makes up a scanner. I am not a radio design engineer, but something is weird here. We were told 6 years ago that my new P25 system would be full Encryption within 2 years. That has not happened, nor has it happened with all the surrounding county's here in N. VA. So I don't see it as loosing sales due to 'E'. Look at how many people are buying commercial grade radios and figuring out how to program them so as to not affiliate. I am baffled by this. I still see a huge market for a basic scanner with LSM capability as being a huge seller. I would sell my G4 is a second and buy two of them.

RRR

Premium Subscriber

How so? The G4 is now around the same price point as the "flagship" and the TRX.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Uniden will announce the next flagship scanners after the 75th thread asking "when will Uniden announce the next flagship scanners" has been posted here.

Said scanners will include NXDN only if, at the time of announcement, 175 threads asking "when will Uniden release NXDN" have been posted.

The power is in our hands people!

Disclaimers:
The above post is entirely fictitious and is intended as both light humor and as a commentary on how futile asking "when will?" with regards to Uniden and NXDN and new scanners. This post has been typed by someone who has access to peanuts. Consult your physician before taking this post seriously. The FDA has not evaluated the claims made in this post and no warrantees of it's ability to aid in weight loss are to be implied. Show this post to your local Uniden dealer and receive one free confused look free of charge.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Aren't we past those numbers already? I swear that I see a new "Wah, wah, wah, Uniden hasn't given us X yet" thread every hour or so.

People complain about all of the things Uniden promised, but didn't deliver. I never seem to see one about stuff that wasn't in the original specification, but we got. DMR/MotoTrbo and Pro Voice come to mind.

UPMan hinted that there was something coming a couple of weeks ago, but a set back with his recovery has pushed that back. Whatever it is, I'm sure he wants to be available to hear the feedback and suggestions, along with dealing with any untoward events that might arise.

Uniden will announce the next flagship scanners after the 75th thread asking "when will Uniden announce the next flagship scanners" has been posted here.

Said scanners will include NXDN only if, at the time of announcement, 175 threads asking "when will Uniden release NXDN" have been posted.

The power is in our hands people!

Disclaimers:
The above post is entirely fictitious and is intended as both light humor and as a commentary on how futile asking "when will?" with regards to Uniden and NXDN and new scanners. This post has been typed by someone who has access to peanuts. Consult your physician before taking this post seriously. The FDA has not evaluated the claims made in this post and no warrantees of it's ability to aid in weight loss are to be implied. Show this post to your local Uniden dealer and receive one free confused look free of charge.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Aren't we past those numbers already?

Hehe, probably. Or maybe it's just the a handful of threads that keep getting dredged up? ::shrugs::

Personally, I don't expect anything "exciting" out of Uniden until well after the first of next year. Even then, I'm slightly dreading that "fateful day" as I expect Uniden to bring a lot of disappointment and missed opportunities with the "excitement."

Embalmer-Mortician

Premium Subscriber
Next generation scanner??? Hell they haven't fulfilled their obligation on the 436/536, i.e. NXDN. Yeah go right ahead and put out the next gen. I'm sure all of us waiting will just fork over untold amounts of cash with a big smile and say thank you with eternal gratitude. NOT!!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hell they haven't fulfilled their obligation on the 436/536, i.e. NXDN.

An obligation for NXDN??

When did Uniden promise, announce, or indicate to you that NXDN was definitely going to be made available for the x36HP scanners?

I guess the rest of us missed that announcement. Please provide a link to a Uniden source that has obligated them to provide NXDN on those scanners. I, for one, would be very interested to see anything that backs up your statement.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Obligation? No, not that I have seen.

Feeling the heat to keep up with the competition? Of course!

Do they care? Apparently not. And their arrogant spokesman has consistently shown it.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
Do they care? Apparently not. And their arrogant spokesman has consistently shown it.

Uniden has a spokesman now? And he's arrogant? Who did they hire, Sy Sperling?

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Would love to buy a new Uniden scanner! Built-in GPS chip, and software defined radio internals (with filters of course), can handle simulcast, a full color waterfall spectrum bandscope!

NXDN, DMR, P25 I and II (IMBE), D-Star (AMBE), Pro Voice, EDACS, Yaesu System Fusion.

This should be the future scanner! Anything less is not that exciting. I will settle for a NXDN firmware upgrade for the BCD436HP/536HP to tide me over until Christmas 2018. I can only dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.