What happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallascowboys

Morning,
What happened we were told about upcomming things that we were to get, 2017 has come and gone and still nothing, Ias right now see the same for 2018. I have the BCD436HP and the HP2 I love both of them and have all the upgrades for my 436, I am willing to wait but I am a Veteran and when I was in the service if you tell someone that you will do something than you better do it , thats all just had to get it off my chest, have a great day and Happy New Year everyone.

Ubbe

Upman Paul Optiz are pretty much the sole driving force at Uniden scanners and he has overgone a pretty big and critical surgery and only work sporadicly now.
It was not in the plan that he would get seriously ill so all projects have probably been more or less halted until he is fully recovered.

/Ubbe

W5RGP

Upman Paul Optiz are pretty much the sole driving force at Uniden scanners and he has overgone a pretty big and critical surgery and only work sporadicly now.
It was not in the plan that he would get seriously ill so all projects have probably been more or less halted until he is fully recovered.

/Ubbe

To me having one person doing that in such a huge company is just poor business practice you always always always have some sort of backup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Well if it were not for UPMAN (Paul) you would still be using a 785D or 796D for a scanner and whistler would have never bought GRE and started making scanners. There are your facts the man has made the scanner market what it is today. Some more old news Paul helped design most all the RS scanners starting with or before the Pro-2067's. Uniden might not care Paul does.

k3fs

Still waiting for the advanced analysis features of the Home Patrol Extreme. Those were advertised and promised a few years ago. What happened? False advertising. The "Flag Ship" radio is the only radio in the HP line without those features.

Uniden knows about the reception issues of the 436, the cause of the issue, and the fix. What happened? More stone walling. The issue was acknowledged on a yahoo group, but Uniden fails to do the right thing.

All issues that have gone on for years.

When there is a problem, admit it as soon as possible.
Customers are not stupid. Ignoring or denying a legitimate problem is not the way to handle it.
Under promise and over deliver

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Upman Paul Optiz are pretty much the sole driving force at Uniden scanners

That is precisely the problem. Why is there one person and one person only handling scanner product issues? Why no assistant? Where is the back up plan? One person goes out on sick leave and everything stops? Uniden has a lot to learn about business contingency planning.

Manny

phask

Premium Subscriber
And you know this for a fact?????

That is precisely the problem. Why is there one person and one person only handling scanner product issues? Why no assistant? Where is the back up plan? One person goes out on sick leave and everything stops? Uniden has a lot to learn about business contingency planning.

Manny

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Well if it were not for UPMAN (Paul) you would still be using a 785D or 796D for a scanner and whistler would have never bought GRE and started making scanners. There are your facts the man has made the scanner market what it is today. Some more old news Paul helped design most all the RS scanners starting with or before the Pro-2067's. Uniden might not care Paul does.

I agree!

W5RGP

Have to disagree here if there was a backup person or two just think of the progress that could have been made while Paul was out with medical problems

SOFA_KING

We that know think Uniden would drop the scanner market if it were not for Paul.

I can believe that, not that I have any inside insight or "beta tester" relationship. There was a time when I thought Uniden was in real financial trouble.

My issue with how the company handles its business comes down to bad decisions on everything from incomplete (or half-baked) feature designs, QA issues (although they did pay to fix a couple of them after customers threatened class action) and how they treat customers and handle requests that just make better sense...common sense. Paul is not the only one working on this stuff, so there are other hands in the pot. But something is not right when you look at what has happened over the last few years. Some people here are well experienced and know what features would be useful...and how they would like them to work. Do we get that from Uniden? Not exactly, and we are lucky if they take any suggestions at all. Why is that? Does someone at Uniden "think" they know better? Is it a communication problem with a contractor who does the firmware? I can't say, but I do have to wonder why they can't give the customer solid common sense features that just do what the customer wants. Look, it's simple! We want a scanner that is easy to use and does two fundamental functions with complete and satisfying results. SEARCH capabilities with all information available to harvest information on radio systems, and SCAN features to effectively listen to all types of systems without unnecessary noise or hangups...and display information of interest like talkgroups, ID's, access codes etc. No nonsense like "One Frequency Trunked" on a single frequency just to get the TG/UID info. No channel name "special formatting" to get all the DMR info to display. And we want ALL MODES. How hard is that to understand? And why do some scanners have "Priority DND" (truly a great idea) and others don't? Same with Fire Tone-Out (another great feature...although the tone search and capture part of that could have been done much better to display multiple tone dispatches...don't use squelch close to terminate tone capture on only the first set of tones...just capture them all!). Then there is this "silent treatment" issue. Whistler doesn't have that issue, and customer's appreciate that.

The bottom line is "you get what you get". Some of it is usable, some not so usable. You have to decide if it's worth the money and will serve some of your needs. Could it be better? EASILY...if they gave a hoot. And that's the problem. We see the lack of common sense and the way customers are ignored. We see quality issues. We see that there is a problem at Uniden. Yet we also see them get some very cleaver features right from time to time. And I will say the receiver quality has improved to near commercial quality over the last 10 years...save the LSM issues where I/Q demodulation could solve that. I just wish they approached all feature ideas and requests the same way...complete and fully functional...and easy to use. We know they CAN DO IT, but it appears it's hit and miss. THAT, I can't understand. Is that a personality issue with someone at Uniden? Or is it an internal issue with communication? Whatever it is, better scanners would be realized if they would just "fix that".

Phil

W5RGP

We that know think Uniden would drop the scanner market if it were not for Paul.

They have already dropped it in my opinion but you know what they say about opinions
Nothing new in almost 5 yrs says a lot

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You forget Whistler which I also own a TRX-1 and a TRX-2 have done nothing to address any of their existing issues either for over a year. The only updates were the factory updates to the PRO18 and PRO668 both which were ask for and after other options were offered.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
No offense, but if Uniden added in NXDN tomorrow, they would merely be catching up with Whistler. Regardless if it followed the trunking protocol better or whatever, thats way too long to leave folks hanging, especially if the current "flagship" scanners are NXDN capable, and they aren't even allowing ANY NXDN releases.

And ProVoice isn't anything to really bark about, look at their map of ProVoice users, and thats maximum, constantly dwindling down, as it is already at end-of-life, being replaced.

If they are going to do something to wow and impress, it needs to be something new and impressive, simply adding NXDN or a color screen isn't going to compel many to spend big bucks on a new scanner. May get folks to pop for the $50-$60 upgrades, but how long can they really sustain on that?

Whoever (Scanner maker) can fix P25 simulcation issues will win, simple as that. (Yes, I have a G5)

RRR

Premium Subscriber
You forget Whistler which I also own a TRX-1 and a TRX-2 have done nothing to address any of their existing issues either for over a year. The only updates were the factory updates to the PRO18 and PRO668 both which were ask for and after other options were offered.

TRX-1 and TRX-2 firmware updates have been released several times over the past several months, do you just not get them?

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
This is just speculation but I'll throw it out there anyway.

I think the manufacturing of scanners has come to a crossroads. Why? Because of the emergence of SDR technology. Sure, the setup of some of these can be "techy" and/or difficult. But, SDR's and accompanying software such as UniTrunker, DSD+, etc can do a lot of the things a lot of people require for monitoring, and for a lot less money. Are they as portable? No of course not. Are they as simple? No, of course not. Are they as effective? IMHO, absolutely, and the successful configuration and use of such setups may fit the needs of many people scanning specific systems and protocols quite nicely.

I don't think that the manufacture of scanning receivers is "dead", I speculate that the manufacturers may be watching the emergence of SDR technology and perhaps seeing how they could effectively integrate it into future models. All of the major amateur radio manufacturers are implementing forms of SDR tech into some of their releases at this stage of the game. I wonder if Uniden, Whistler, and maybe others are contemplating the same?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I get all updates and no they have not improved anything PROVOKING me to buy a NX5200 and a NX5300 and looking at a NX5400. I also think that when people can not operate a new modern scanner 536 TRX then they will never be able to use a SDR. You forget there are people on here that pay for computer techs to install BASIC software and then can not get the scanner to connect to the computer because they never read directions or do not under stand how to do that. Now I would like you to think about trying to help these people operate a SDR. Operating a SDR is easy if you understand DOS Commands but you are trying to tell people how to do DOS Commands to a person that can not use Windows.

W5RGP

You must not be checking for updates then I’ve gotten several on my 2 trx1’s in the past few months

Status
Not open for further replies.