Uniden Completes Motorola Mobility Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Uniden Completes Purchase of Motorola Mobility

For Immediate Release: New York, NY

In a move that has stunned the industry, Uniden Corporation, known for making the most advanced scanning radio receivers in the world, has completed a purchase of Motorola Mobility, maker of advanced two-way radios for consumers, government, and industry. This surprise move has stunned competitors ICOM, AOR, Harris, and Kenwood, as well as some other marginal competitors. Irving Lirpa, Vice President of Strategic Execution at Uniden explained "The time was right for this LBO. We've been in ultra-secret talks with Motorola for nearly two years. This deal culminates the ideal marriage of innovation and market reach." The new company, rebranded Unitola opens for trading on April I, 2018 with offices worldwide.

A short list of changes planned for execution this year includes:

• Immediate obsolescence of all analog system support for all platforms. No further upgrades, repairs, sales, or other support will be provided for any analog system or radio. Says I. Lirpa, "What better way to spur new sales than to stop supporting older products."
  • Reduction by 80% of all engineering, technical support, and research staff. I. Lirpa justifies this as "...a necessary move to allow us to focus our attention on sales. We have to keep in mind that sales is what pays the bills. These other bits that we are trimming off have minimal ability to truly engage with the customer in ways that motivates them to buy. Whenever we bring an engineer to a sales meeting, no one can really figure out what the heck he is talking about."
  • Rationalizing pricing across the scanner line. "We just don't charge enough for scanners." I. Lirpa explains. "A Motorola radio with equivalent features would bring a $10,000-$15,000 price tag. We just cannot survive nor pay our sales staff the bonuses they deserve without charging a price that warrants such benefits."
  • Continued segmentation of features from platform. "Our initial announcement of the SDS100 fortunately included the words 'Features subject to change.'" I. Lirpa expounded. "We will be changing to a 100% pay-per-feature model starting with the SDS100 and quickly rolling out to other scanner products." Below is the tentative menu of prices as provided by Unitola:
    • Basic Hardware Platform: $200
    • Conventional Scanning: $300
    • CTCSS Decoding: $50
    • DCS Decoding: $75
    • DMA Upgrade: $175
    • GPS Support (Location Based Scanning): $300 (not including GPS hardware)
    • P25 Conventional Scanning: $600 (4equires Conventional Scanning)
    • P25 NAC decoding: $75 (requires P25 Conventional Scanning)
    • P25 Phase 1 Trunked Scanning: $300 (requires P25 Conventional Scanning, and GPS Support)
    • P25 Phase 2 Trunked Scanning: $350 (requires P25 Phase 1 Trunked Scanning)
    • DMR Conventional Scanning: $400 (requires Conventional Scanning)
    • DMR Color Code: $25 (requires DMR Conventional Scanning)
    • MOTOTRBO Connect +: $150 (requires DMR Conventional Scanning)
    • MOTOTRBO Capacity +: $150 (requires DMR Conventional Scanning)
    • MOTOTRBO Capacity Max: $75 (Requires MOTOTRBO Capacity +)
    • DMR Tier III: $150 (Requires DMR Conventional Scanning)
    • NXDN Conventional: $300 (requires Conventional Scanning)
    • NXDN 4800: $75 (requires NXDN Conventional)
    • NXDN 9600: $75 (requires NXDN Conventional)
    • LTR Trunking: $250 (requires Conventional Scanning)
    • EDACS Trunking: $250 (requires Conventional Scanning)
    • EDACS Provoice: $125 (requires EDACS Trunking)
Other upgrades will be available upon completion of Unitola's P&L estimates.
Surprisingly, Paul Opitz, aka "UPMan" was not available for comment. "He just can't talk loudly enough so we didn't want Unitola to be embarrassed. We'll let him make pre-approved posts after board approvals. In any event, he normally talks so far over our sales team's heads that we were really surprised to find that his degree was in Business Management, and not in Engineering. He really dodged a bullet with that educational choice."

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Lol. Hit the nail on the head with the “everything’s an option” model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W5RGP

April fools isn’t for another 30 minutes [emoji23][emoji23][emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Wow, this is FANTASTIC news! I can't wait to buy my next scanner under your new pricing program. I've already put my house up for sale, and picked out the perfect refrigerator carton to live in.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Only one minor mistake. . .

in an otherwise perfect April Fool gag. Motorola Mobility is the consumer device segment (cell phones, etc). Motorola Solutions is the government and commercial device segment (2-way radio, etc).

I'm seriously tempted to forward this to various people I work with just to see what happens.

imkesun

Premium Subscriber
Uniden Completes Purchase of Motorola Mobility

...bunch of lines deleted

Other upgrades will be available upon completion of Unitola's P&L estimates.

Surprisingly, Paul Opitz, aka "UPMan" was not available for comment. "He just can't talk loudly enough so we didn't want Unitola to be embarrassed. We'll let him make pre-approved posts after board approvals. In any event, he normally talks so far over our sales team's heads that we were really surprised to find that his degree was in Business Management, and not in Engineering. He really dodged a bullet with that educational choice."

You forgot to mention SAAS (Scanning As A Service)

Brilliant Post!

Imkesun

RFI-EMI-GUY

You forgot to mention SAAS (Scanning As A Service)

Brilliant Post!

Imkesun
Oh and $12,000 per month 24 /7/ 365 centralized monitoring of the system OVER THE INTERNET, with added $50k annual license in firewall and antivirus protection to PROTECT THE SYSTEM "FROM THE INTERNET".

In the old days, the system manager dude would simply unplug the Hayes 1200 baud modem from the wall after Shaumburg was done fixing whatever bits they broke.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
And then the lawsuits hit for forgetting to put in the TRADEMARK and COPYRIGHT mentions! LOL

Still funny and would have been actually safe if you had added the realistic required legal mentions and suckered in literally everyone ...

MWUHAHAHAHA

As in: (MotoTRBO, Connect +, Capacity +, Capacity Max are registered trademarks of Motorola Solutions.....)

Danny37

ProScan and uniden partner up to make a unified siren 2.0 app for android and iOS for the new SDS100 scanner!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
So, Uniden has an I. Lirpa working for them, too? That guy sure gets around.

I'm afraid you guys may be pricing yourselves out of the market, though. My two BC780XLTs will do what $550 worth of your SDS100 will do plus Motorola Type II trunking. In this day and age, who needs anything more?

Status
Not open for further replies.