HP-1: Homepatrol 1 GPS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
I recently picked up a HP-1 unit. I'm wondering if there's a cable that I can get that will allow me to use the GPS puck from my BCD325P2 with this radio (not simultaneously). In the current setup, the puck terminates to a DIN-style connector, which then connects to a Y cable with a standard USB plug at one end and a USB mini at the other (the third end is the DIN socket.

I'm wondering if there's a Y cable that replaces the USB mini with the HP-1 GPS connector, or some other option to make the conversion.

Any help is appreciated. I'd hate to buy the whole setup again, just to get the right cable.

Thanks!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Unless you want to make a custom cable yourself, you need two cables: the Uniden Y-cable that has a 12V lighter plug, DIN connector, and DB9, and then a second cable that adapts from DB9 to the 4-pin GPS port used by the HomePatrol and 436.

There's also this option:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=8927&cat=13

I could build you one of the rechargeable GPS units with cables for the 325P2 and the HomePatrol, and I would be willing to take your current GPS puck as a trade-in. PM me if interested.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Interesting. I guess in my case, though, I just need a different cable. I already have the puck, so it seems wasteful to buy another one when the one I have works just fine. Any idea where I can get just the cable, to connect the puck to power and the HP-1?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
AFAIK there isn't a single cable option available unless you make your own. Uniden only offers the 2-cable solution I described.

If you got my GPS, I would give you $25 for your Uniden puck, and adapt the Y-cable you currently have to connect to the rechargeable GPS. So your final cost would be $45 for a rechargeable GPS and cables to fit the 325 and HomePatrol/436.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I thought the Uniden GPS shipped with the cable for the HP1/2 and 436, and the 325/SDS was sold as an adapter cable.

I do know there was an early version of the Uniden GPS and later models came with different cables.

I'd suggest calling Scanermasteron Monday and ask for Rich. (He is in Dayton now for Hamvention). I know he has personally used both.

I recently picked up a HP-1 unit. I'm wondering if there's a cable that I can get that will allow me to use the GPS puck from my BCD325P2 with this radio (not simultaneously). In the current setup, the puck terminates to a DIN-style connector, which then connects to a Y cable with a standard USB plug at one end and a USB mini at the other (the third end is the DIN socket.

I'm wondering if there's a Y cable that replaces the USB mini with the HP-1 GPS connector, or some other option to make the conversion.

Any help is appreciated. I'd hate to buy the whole setup again, just to get the right cable.

Thanks!

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
If you got my GPS, I would give you $25 for your Uniden puck, and adapt the Y-cable you currently have to connect to the rechargeable GPS. So your final cost would be $45 for a rechargeable GPS and cables to fit the 325 and HomePatrol/436.

Well, that's definitely not a bad option. Especially with cables for bot the 325 and the HP-1. I'll definitely consider it. Can the unit be left plugged into the the vehicle, so that power is never a concern in the vehicle?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I thought the Uniden GPS shipped with the cable for the HP1/2 and 436, and the 325/SDS was sold as an adapter cable.

The Uniden GPS kit (https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BC-GPSK-Receiver-Scanner-Products/dp/B005P99KRU/) comes with 2 cables: the Y cable with 12V, DIN, and DB9 ends, and a second cable that adapts from DB9 to 4-pin. AFAIK there isn't a pre-made Y-cable with a USB, DIN, and the 4-pin plug needed to connect the Uniden puck directly to the HomePatrol or 436.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Can the unit be left plugged into the the vehicle, so that power is never a concern in the vehicle?

Yes. Just connect a USB cable to the charging port on the GPS. When the GPS is off and the batteries are fully charged, it only draws 1-2mA (mainly for the green charged indicator LED).

Status
Not open for further replies.