RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern


The Uniden Tavern - For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2018, 4:34 PM
radiochuck's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 196
Default Homepatrol 1 GPS Question

I recently picked up a HP-1 unit. I'm wondering if there's a cable that I can get that will allow me to use the GPS puck from my BCD325P2 with this radio (not simultaneously). In the current setup, the puck terminates to a DIN-style connector, which then connects to a Y cable with a standard USB plug at one end and a USB mini at the other (the third end is the DIN socket.

I'm wondering if there's a Y cable that replaces the USB mini with the HP-1 GPS connector, or some other option to make the conversion.

Any help is appreciated. I'd hate to buy the whole setup again, just to get the right cable.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2018, 4:52 PM
jonwienke's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 8,884
Default

Unless you want to make a custom cable yourself, you need two cables: the Uniden Y-cable that has a 12V lighter plug, DIN connector, and DB9, and then a second cable that adapts from DB9 to the 4-pin GPS port used by the HomePatrol and 436.

There's also this option:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/...ct=8927&cat=13

I could build you one of the rechargeable GPS units with cables for the 325P2 and the HomePatrol, and I would be willing to take your current GPS puck as a trade-in. PM me if interested.
__________________
Gone camping.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2018, 4:56 PM
radiochuck's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 196
Default

Interesting. I guess in my case, though, I just need a different cable. I already have the puck, so it seems wasteful to buy another one when the one I have works just fine. Any idea where I can get just the cable, to connect the puck to power and the HP-1?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2018, 5:09 PM
jonwienke's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 8,884
Default

AFAIK there isn't a single cable option available unless you make your own. Uniden only offers the 2-cable solution I described.

If you got my GPS, I would give you $25 for your Uniden puck, and adapt the Y-cable you currently have to connect to the rechargeable GPS. So your final cost would be $45 for a rechargeable GPS and cables to fit the 325 and HomePatrol/436.
__________________
Gone camping.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2018, 5:09 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: KZZV - SE Ohio
Posts: 2,708
Default

I thought the Uniden GPS shipped with the cable for the HP1/2 and 436, and the 325/SDS was sold as an adapter cable.


I do know there was an early version of the Uniden GPS and later models came with different cables.


I'd suggest calling Scanermasteron Monday and ask for Rich. (He is in Dayton now for Hamvention). I know he has personally used both.



Quote:
Originally Posted by radiochuck View Post
I recently picked up a HP-1 unit. I'm wondering if there's a cable that I can get that will allow me to use the GPS puck from my BCD325P2 with this radio (not simultaneously). In the current setup, the puck terminates to a DIN-style connector, which then connects to a Y cable with a standard USB plug at one end and a USB mini at the other (the third end is the DIN socket.

I'm wondering if there's a Y cable that replaces the USB mini with the HP-1 GPS connector, or some other option to make the conversion.

Any help is appreciated. I'd hate to buy the whole setup again, just to get the right cable.

Thanks!
__________________
SDS-100, BCD536,Hp2(e),HP-1(e)x2, BC780, BCD996t ,BCD996P2, BCD325P2, Pro 2005, 2006(x2), Pro34,VR500,AT803,R5000 and other RF capture devices

Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2018, 5:18 PM
radiochuck's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
If you got my GPS, I would give you $25 for your Uniden puck, and adapt the Y-cable you currently have to connect to the rechargeable GPS. So your final cost would be $45 for a rechargeable GPS and cables to fit the 325 and HomePatrol/436.
Well, that's definitely not a bad option. Especially with cables for bot the 325 and the HP-1. I'll definitely consider it. Can the unit be left plugged into the the vehicle, so that power is never a concern in the vehicle?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2018, 5:20 PM
jonwienke's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 8,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phask View Post
I thought the Uniden GPS shipped with the cable for the HP1/2 and 436, and the 325/SDS was sold as an adapter cable.
The Uniden GPS kit (https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BC-GPS...dp/B005P99KRU/) comes with 2 cables: the Y cable with 12V, DIN, and DB9 ends, and a second cable that adapts from DB9 to 4-pin. AFAIK there isn't a pre-made Y-cable with a USB, DIN, and the 4-pin plug needed to connect the Uniden puck directly to the HomePatrol or 436.
__________________
Gone camping.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2018, 5:25 PM
radiochuck's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
The Uniden GPS kit (https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BC-GPS...dp/B005P99KRU/) comes with 2 cables: the Y cable with 12V, DIN, and DB9 ends, and a second cable that adapts from DB9 to 4-pin. AFAIK there isn't a pre-made Y-cable with a USB, DIN, and the 4-pin plug needed to connect the Uniden puck directly to the HomePatrol or 436.
Wonder what it would cost for a custom Y cable to fit my scenario.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2018, 5:26 PM
jonwienke's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 8,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiochuck View Post
Can the unit be left plugged into the the vehicle, so that power is never a concern in the vehicle?
Yes. Just connect a USB cable to the charging port on the GPS. When the GPS is off and the batteries are fully charged, it only draws 1-2mA (mainly for the green charged indicator LED).
__________________
Gone camping.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions