Thank you Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

Thank you Uniden for manufacturing a scanner family that does trunk DMR, and NXDN. Thank you for manufacturing a scanner family that allows a MODE and STEP SIZE selection. And Thank You Uniden enthusiasts for having the brain power to understand the difference between simply receiving voice modulation and actually having the ability to use a protocol that will TRUNK TRACK a system. Thank goodness for Uniden, I regret not coming over to the Dark Side a long time ago. I miss Realistic and Radio Shack, but that was the past, we have to look forward now.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You are welcome!

And, I'll take about 3/4 of the thanks for the Realistic/RadioShack brand scanners, too:

a) From 85-97 I wrote all the RS scanner O/M's, and from 97-2003 I was responsible for working with the vendors to design, test, and sell them.

b) And until about 2005, Uniden manufactured about 1/2 of the Realistic/RadioShack branded scanners.

CanesFan95

And here's a very late thank-you for the BC235XLT and BC245XLT. Back when those scanners came out, it was MAMMOTH for the hobby. Especially the BC245XLT for those of us living in EDACS hell. When that rig came out, it was like heaven how well that puppy worked.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thank You Uniden for coming out with a scanner that decodes TETRA and Encrypted transmissions because the government finally lifted the ban on receiving those transmissions. (I want to type this now so in the future when I lose my mind and forget what I did yesterday, at least I posted it)...LOL!

jodyobrien

Re Thanks

I love all my "TOYs"...
what has me at hart.. The way I can record... playback right away.
And use my cell phone (Siren) when the scanner *BCD536HP* is in my van, and im indoors ...

I just wanna thank you for all this...

My Por97, 2020 "Old School" Scanners was fun, now, I have a GREAT time..
I would love another BIG Thank you once SENTINEL can do NXDN *(Update)*

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
Thank You Uniden for coming out with a scanner that decodes TETRA and Encrypted transmissions because the government finally lifted the ban on receiving those transmissions.

It's not just government laws keeping us from hearing encrypted transmissions - really, when have *those* laws kept anyone from doing anything? In this case it's the laws of mathematics and the laws of physics preventing us from listening to encrypted communications. If you find a way around those, government laws be damned.

garys

Premium Subscriber
The government has kept legitimate programmers and manufacturers from working on the algorithms. Which means that the legitimate scanner uses (that's us) can't have access to encrypted stuff.

Criminals, foreign and domestic, have been attacking the problem for years and likely have figured out how to at least partially decode encrypted transmissions. The Israeli's invented DES and I know that their enemies have cracked some of it.

It's not just government laws keeping us from hearing encrypted transmissions - really, when have *those* laws kept anyone from doing anything? In this case it's the laws of mathematics and the laws of physics preventing us from listening to encrypted communications. If you find a way around those, government laws be damned.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The government has kept legitimate programmers and manufacturers from working on the algorithms. Which means that the legitimate scanner uses (that's us) can't have access to encrypted stuff.

Criminals, foreign and domestic, have been attacking the problem for years and likely have figured out how to at least partially decode encrypted transmissions. The Israeli's invented DES and I know that their enemies have cracked some of it.

It was sort of meant as a joke as you both know, but in reality some day I forsee it happening. Look at how far this hobby has come...crystal scanners, first programmable scanners (210 XLT I think), then allowing us to monitor the UHF-T spectrum which wasn't always allowed. 800 Mhz introduced, then Trunking Motorola Only, then EDACS being allowed, then digital, then 700 Mhz band opening up, Phase 2 Digital, MotoTRBO, NXDN...all of these wouldn't be possible without alot of hard work behind the scenes. Some departments are switching to encryption and being told "that no scanner can pick you up". Haha...that's how they sold every other format too.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on

Nope. You can't "partially" decrypt an encrypted transmission - that's not how it works. The algorithms are not secret, and the government does not keep researchers, educators, hackers, etc. from attempting to break encryption - in fact, they encourage it. They want to know the weaknesses and deficiencies, and is the reason why many encryption ciphers are abandoned.

The reason I referred to the laws of mathematics and the laws of physics is because of the time and energy required to crack the key. A 256 bit key has 115,792,089,237,316,195,423,570,985,008,687,907,853,269,984,665,640,564,039,457,584,007,913,129,639,936 possible combinations. Even with the most powerful computers in the world it would take millions of years to crack just one key.

So, if you make a recording of an encrypted transmission today and save it forever, perhaps someone a few thousand millennia from now can process it and hear, "Unit 571 off-duty."

mule1075

Feed Provider
Nope. You can't "partially" decrypt an encrypted transmission - that's not how it works. The algorithms are not secret, and the government does not keep researchers, educators, hackers, etc. from attempting to break encryption - in fact, they encourage it. They want to know the weaknesses and deficiencies, and is the reason why many encryption ciphers are abandoned.

The reason I referred to the laws of mathematics and the laws of physics is because of the time and energy required to crack the key. A 256 bit key has 115,792,089,237,316,195,423,570,985,008,687,907,853,269,984,665,640,564,039,457,584,007,913,129,639,936 possible combinations. Even with the most powerful computers in the world it would take millions of years to crack just one key.

So, if you make a recording of an encrypted transmission today and save it forever, perhaps someone a few thousand millennia from now can process it and hear, "Unit 571 off-duty."
So back to the original topic. Thanks Uniden and Paul!

wbswetnam

From 85-97 I wrote all the RS scanner O/M's, and from 97-2003 I was responsible for working with the vendors to design, test, and sell them.

In the late 90s, I had a Uniden 9000XLT and it was DA BOMB! Thank you Paul.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
And TY Paul and Uniden for PhaseII, I now have a new system in my area using this mode and my Uniden 996P2 works great on it.....This county is now on the IL-Starcom and threw out there old system which was the "Motorola Shuffle System which you personally emailed me how to set up my scanner with new "Tables' a few years back to receive it....Your the "MAN" in my book.....

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber

Just start with 000,000,000,000,000.....000,000,000 and work your way up, maybe you will get lucky! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.