SDS 100 Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
Minor issue, especially compared to how great the specs are looking, but anyone know if the audio output will be better on the SDS 100 ? I have a 436x now and the only complaint I've ever had except for the same simulcast issues as everyone else, is the low audio output. Very low in the car & carrying outside. Found a 12v amplified speaker for the car, but haven't had any luck locating a shoulder-type speaker that works well. Hoping the SDS 100 is better.

Thanks...

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I think we'll see (or rather hear) the same output from the jack on the SDS that we experience with the 436.

KB7MIB

A better speaker would be great, but I think the scanner manufacturers deliberately limit the audio output into an external speaker or earphone, so as to protect our hearing. My GRE PSR500 has the same issue when I've tried to use an earphone to listen at a loud outdoor event. It just isn't loud enough over the crowd, musicians, and everything else.

John
Peoria, AZ

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
The output is fine to me.

With my 436 in a loud car or outside the volume feels pretty low. Any feedback on how well the SDS100 does in those conditions? I'd have to max out the volume on the 436 to hear it in my work van and that kind of distorts the audio at times.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The SDS100 is a bit louder than the 436, and can get louder without distorting.

In a noisy vehicle you will probably want to run an amplified speaker.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
My SDS 100 is loud on one P25 system but low on another. What systems you say:

Vanderburgh P25 Simulcast is LOUD
In Safe T P25 seems low

If you turn the scanner up to hear one the other is too loud. Kinda wish there was a SYSTEM volume offset so as not to have to change every talkgroup on a system.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
Another option in a vehicle: many have AUX (auxiliary) inputs, which means your scanner audio is amplified by the vehicle's sound system and sent to those speakers. All the audio you could ask for, and all you need is a 3.5mm (1/8") audio cable for a few bucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.