SDS100/SDS200: Nip it In the Bud

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok, one disappointment on the final units with final battery. I really don't like battery life (max 320 minutes). So, we'll change to a high-capacity battery (entails a new battery door and making the unit about 8mm thicker at the base...which should actually relieve those of you worried about instability).

But, we aren't going to delay first shipments. Instead, all first adopters with the "standard" battery will get a free extended battery+battery door once they are available, around August. All you'll have to do is register the scanner and we'll automatically send when ready.

Here's the notice we're putting in the box for those first units:

IMPORTANT NOTICE!
After final design, we found that the battery life with the included battery did not meet our expectations for run time. So, we are changing our design to use a bigger battery that can last 8 hours. When this battery is ready, we will send you one, at no charge. Simply register your scanner at:
my.uniden.com
We appreciate your patience while we get these into production.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I like where this is going.
Option for short battery for slim design and high cap battery for extended use. :)

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Although I am usually critical, I am glad that this unit is still being evaluated and subject to changes and not being rushed out the door.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
August seems like a long time away...until one looks at the calendar and realized that it's nearly June!

Thanks for the update UPMan! Not only is it great news that the SDS will have at least 8hrs of battery life, initial scanner units should also be shipping soon and Uniden isn't going to shortchange early adopters just to get rolling on production!

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Thanks. I thought I read the battery was Li Ion, but I was probably thinking of all the Li-ion speculation in the pre-release thread.

SquierStrat

so will the later revised units have a thicker case? Or will the later revised units look identical to the first units once they (the first units) receive the parts in the mail in august?

jasonhouk

so will the later revised units have a thicker case? Or will the later revised units look identical to the first units once they (the first units) receive the parts in the mail in august?

To my understanding:
The case will not be thicker, the battery cover will be deeper and not flush with the rest of the back case to accommodate the higher capacity cell.

Houk

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
Wow, excellent handling Paul and Uniden. At this late stage, I am certain some or many companies would have not taken any action and just looked the other way. This says a lot about you. Nice job and thank you!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
SDS100 SHIPPING SOON.... If I had the cash... I would go Gollum on it at full speed! Same will be me when Whistler TRX 100 hits....

Status
Not open for further replies.