How I justified the the cost of buying a SDS 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plain and simple I purchased a GRE PSR-500 over 12 years ago, lost track of exactly when but it was shortly after release.

I live in Michigan so we had alot of agencies moving over to the new MPSCS Apco25 system. My county was an early adopter so it was shell out the money or SOL.

I recall paying $499 for the scanner without even batting an eye, I had to have one.

So $649 today might come darn close to the equivalent of $499 12+ years ago. And in my mind this is as revolutionary as the PSR-500 was back then.

My PSR-500 is still working fine and feeding my RR feed, definitely got my moneys worth with that scanner.

My hope is the new IQ technology will better decode the P25 signals that I do experience the issues with. Thus providing a higher quality and more complete feed to RR.

Also I just decided to call it an early Father's Day gift to myself LOL

This is my cheap hobby. My passion is metal detecting and I average purchasing 2 new machines a year. Purchased 2 new Minelab models since April costing me over $1600 so can't complain about $649 which "should" be my last scanner purchase for several years, unless the new Whistler's later this year hmmmm.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you'll be disappointed at all; the Uniden's have always done very well on the MPSCS system; mine will be here tomorrow and I'll get the MPSCS system going in it and I cannot wait to test it out against the Washtenaw, Genesse, Wayne County and Detroit Simulcast systems and soon to be Jackson County as well. Congrats on the purchase, you're going to love the Uniden over that old GRE PSR-500 scanner...

I don't think you'll be disappointed at all; the Uniden's have always done very well on the MPSCS system; mine will be here tomorrow and I'll get the MPSCS system going in it and I cannot wait to test it out against the Washtenaw, Genesse, Wayne County and Detroit Simulcast systems and soon to be Jackson County as well. Congrats on the purchase, you're going to love the Uniden over that old GRE PSR-500 scanner...

I believe you are correct and this is a major upgrade for sure. Take care from the sunny shores of Lake Michigan.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
In 1978:

pro-2001.jpg

That is 16 channels for $1500 in 2018 dollars.

Now, for less than half of that, you can get:
SDS-100-Frontview-2.png

KB7MIB

Nice.

I was going to gift myself for my birthday in late July, but my home A/C went out today. I have a tech coming first thing tomorrow morning to look at it since they can't be here today until I have to leave for work this evening.
I may not be gifting myself until at least Christmas now.

John
Peoria, AZ

eyes00only

Plain and simple I purchased a GRE PSR-500 over 12 years ago, lost track of exactly when but it was shortly after release.

I live in Michigan so we had alot of agencies moving over to the new MPSCS Apco25 system. My county was an early adopter so it was shell out the money or SOL.

I recall paying $499 for the scanner without even batting an eye, I had to have one.

So $649 today might come darn close to the equivalent of $499 12+ years ago. And in my mind this is as revolutionary as the PSR-500 was back then.

My PSR-500 is still working fine and feeding my RR feed, definitely got my moneys worth with that scanner.

My hope is the new IQ technology will better decode the P25 signals that I do experience the issues with. Thus providing a higher quality and more complete feed to RR.

Also I just decided to call it an early Father's Day gift to myself LOL

This is my cheap hobby. My passion is metal detecting and I average purchasing 2 new machines a year. Purchased 2 new Minelab models since April costing me over $1600 so can't complain about $649 which "should" be my last scanner purchase for several years, unless the new Whistler's later this year hmmmm.

They sure stick you for the extras! $225 for 3 upgrades!
DMR,NXDN & PROVOICE

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No question, you're getting far more for your money with the SDS100 than with the PRO-2001.

wtp

and if it goes as long

my pro 2001 is still in use everyday.
great for the forestry here on 159.24.
it also has and can get the ISS, when they want to broadcast that is.

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
Paul, do you by chance remember when this Regency (ACT-R10 or something like that) came out? In 1975 or so I had two, one in the house and when in the car. I had just gotten my license and to this day remember how THRILLED my parents were when they saw that I had drilled a hole in the roof of the Ranchero for the antenna mount! That went over real well... :)

I really wish I could remember how much I paid for those. Can't even remember where I bought them...

It was a pain buying and swapping out crystals, but for its time I think the radio did a good job!

Attachments

• Regency AC.jpg
    Regency AC.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 870
Last edited:

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
In 1978:

pro-2001.jpg

That is 16 channels for $1500 in 2018 dollars.

Now, for less than half of that, you can get:
SDS-100-Frontview-2.png

Well that makes perfect sense to me. I can't fault the logic in that argument at all.
I'll have to use that on, err, I mean show that to, my wife. I can't believe that she wouldn't agree too!

As a side note, I remember that 1978 Radio Shack catalog, and that page, very well:)

wise871

Database Admin
I remember paying around $350 dollars for my Radio Shack Realistic PRO-2006 back in 1990. MSRP was $400.

Attachments

• Realistic_PRO-2006_2a.jpg
    Realistic_PRO-2006_2a.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 859

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
We are all showing our ages!! :)

I too bought the Pro-2006 and MANY others, so thinking back abut what those cost, this $649 isn't looking that bad. :)

wise871

Database Admin
Here's a flashback for you. I managed to get the first two scanners I used when I first got into the hobby. These two are still almost factory new with all accessories.

Attachments

• IMG_0582.jpeg
    IMG_0582.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 851

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
I am pretty sure that this is the first hand-held that I owned, or very close to it.
I remember the scan rate of the whopping four channels that it had was painfully slow... seemed like one channel a second or so!

Attachments

• radioshack-pro-24-xtal.jpg
    radioshack-pro-24-xtal.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 846

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I had a Bearcat BC-300 that retailed around $560 dollars. I do not remember how much I paid for it as it could have been used or discounted. It did not have 800 MHz so I replaced it with a Realistic PRO-2004 in 1987 or 1988. It listed for $400, but I might have waited until it was on sale. Back in the 1980s it would have taken several paychecks to pay for the radio. Interesting that the Pro-2001 was the same price point in 1978 and would have been about double the amount of 1978 paychecks compared to 1987 paychecks. $500 to $700 seems to be the long time price point for high-end scanners.

I remember someone commenting that if automobiles had the same reduction in cost as electronics then a car would now cost a few dollars and you would dispose of it instead of paying for parking.

73 Eric

rcool101

Feed Provider
I held off for the longest time on a 536...Read all the posts and laughed. Not me. Finally bought one and screen faded..Waited till this past Nov. and got a 436.. Good screen and C1..Now this.. I'm 64 this month and I'm not waiting.. My justification. Delivery is tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.