Oh,
And l almost forgot,
I like that i can scan while charging!

Thanks paul

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Um...you can scan while charging. So maybe edit your post to "I like that I can scan while charging."

mkt853

I do not like that i can not scan while charging

I thought this was possible? I've got mine plugged in right now and it's scanning, though I have no idea if it's charging or just bypassing the battery and powering the unit.

vocoder

It charges when i have the power off

So it is supposed to be different from my other unidens? 325p2 436hp

Looking over manual again

vocoder

I like the display, alot!
And all the detailed info the scanner and display offer!
I like the way it handles p1 and p2 tdma simulcast!

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Manual is incorrect (had to be completed 2 months ago, before we actually had updated units that would charge while on and there was still some question). At some point, this and many other things will be revised.

vocoder

I think i am missing something, then
I just unboxed it, though
Programmed
Started scanning
Playtime needed

Last edited:

mkt853

I've had it for a day and it's great. These are just some quick pros from a usability/ergonomics standpoint.

* Display is much easier to read than the standard LCD displays we're used to. Definitely one of the selling points for me and has exceeded expectations. Night and day having it on next to my x36 models and the distance from which I can read the SDS100 display compared to the others.

* Selector knob is a beefier version of the one on the 436 thank god because the one on the 536 never worked right and was hoping they'd stick with a crisper clicking knob to select systems and menu items.

* Form factor is nice. It's light and small and fits your hand nicely and doesn't feel unstable standing up on a table. The bigger battery door should make it even more stable when standing it up.

* Speaker is fine. I know some were concerned about it being sacrificed for water resistance, but it gets plenty loud for my ears. I am listening to it in general on a volume of about 8 which is 50% max volume.

* Back lit keypad is a great idea and the keys are easy to press and spaced far enough apart to avoid pressing an adjacent key. I wasn't sure this one piece key pad would be as good as having discrete keys, but so far so good, and worth any trade offs for the back lighting.

* I like the soft keys. As I said in one of the other threads, the only thing I wish you could do is customize their function and label. I'd like to basically be able to label one FIRE or EMS for example and when pressed have the scanner switch to a scan list tailored for scanning systems and channels for those types of incidents.

Can't wait for the base/mobile version of this.

vocoder

Yep, i would like to have the soft keys user programmable, too. I was a little siked up at first, thinking they were. Not a big deal, maybe down the road

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I've had it for a day and it's great. These are just some quick pros from a usability/ergonomics standpoint.

* Display is much easier to read than the standard LCD displays we're used to. Definitely one of the selling points for me and has exceeded expectations. Night and day having it on next to my x36 models and the distance from which I can read the SDS100 display compared to the others.

* Selector knob is a beefier version of the one on the 436 thank god because the one on the 536 never worked right and was hoping they'd stick with a crisper clicking knob to select systems and menu items.

* Form factor is nice. It's light and small and fits your hand nicely and doesn't feel unstable standing up on a table. The bigger battery door should make it even more stable when standing it up.

* Speaker is fine. I know some were concerned about it being sacrificed for water resistance, but it gets plenty loud for my ears. I am listening to it in general on a volume of about 8 which is 50% max volume.

* Back lit keypad is a great idea and the keys are easy to press and spaced far enough apart to avoid pressing an adjacent key. I wasn't sure this one piece key pad would be as good as having discrete keys, but so far so good, and worth any trade offs for the back lighting.

* I like the soft keys. As I said in one of the other threads, the only thing I wish you could do is customize their function and label. I'd like to basically be able to label one FIRE or EMS for example and when pressed have the scanner switch to a scan list tailored for scanning systems and channels for those types of incidents.

Can't wait for the base/mobile version of this.

Awesome report. And maybe a future firmware version will allow for editing/customizing the softkeys? It seems that might be easily implemented but I'm not positive.

wise871

Database Admin
So far I concur what has been said. One thing I noticed is how small and light it is compared to my other handhelds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
All this cosmetic hyperbole is fine. Buttons, knobs, weight, yada, yada, yada.

Again... HOW DOES IT WORK AS A RADIO? Reception, operational functioning, etc.
That's what is important to me...

Thank you

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

Thank you
Do you have difficulty navigating the forums here at RR?
You should be able to easily find the following thread yada yada yada.....
Why do I get the sneaking suspicion you won't like the overwhelming positive reports located within?

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...ial-sds100-performance-report-google-doc.html

Marshall KE4ZNR

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Viper43

Thank you

Well, all that yada, yada, yada is also what MAKES it work as well as it does, so, yup, there is that too.

Viper43

1: I can actually hear all 4 IDPS (Indianapolis) systems at home. Something no other scanners can do!
2: the display, from info displayed to the colors available
3: I like the feel of the case, it fits the hand nicely and the texture is good too.
4: rain resistance, a huge plus compared to others.
5: charge while scanning, love that!
6: keyboard

The ONE thing I think I'd change is on the port cover I'd have that reversed where it opens upward not downward. If you don't get it back in completely i could see water getting in it as it wears. Otherwise, wow! Great radio!

Status
Not open for further replies.