PC for Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I'd say it should be sufficient. I have Sentinel running on a PC with similar specs, but with 2GB RAM. Runs Sentinel fine.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Pretty much any netbook will work, as long as it has a way to connect to the internet, and a standard USB port. Sentinel's requirements are very modest.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I got me a similar Dell 15” for under $200 a few years ago and it’s been working fine for all my radio hobby stuff from programming radios to running UniTrunker, SDR dongles, etc.

AB8XA

Ditto... same post got me running Sentinel 2.00.05 on my 2016 MacBook Pro (with all USB-C ports). I don't have a scanner but am considering the SDS100 so I'm playing around with Sentinel using a microSD card reader.

6079smithw

I have a c. 2006 Dell D520 I believe cost me $35.00 or so at Goodwill 5 years ago. 1.6g CPU 2 gb 667 RAM, Win7 32-bit. Runs pretty much all my Motorola CPS, Kenwood/Icom and Sentinel no problem. Sturdy case plus the theft appeal of a Yugo. Use the $$ saved for DMR /NXDN upgrades.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I have a c. 2006 Dell D520 I believe cost me $35.00 or so at Goodwill 5 years ago. 1.6g CPU 2 gb 667 RAM, Win7 32-bit. Runs pretty much all my Motorola CPS, Kenwood/Icom and Sentinel no problem. Sturdy case plus the theft appeal of a Yugo. Use the $$ saved for DMR /NXDN upgrades.

While I cannot endorse running Win7/32, the concept of buying a used / refurbished notebook makes sense. Loads cheaper than buying the latest-and-greatest, and works fine with radio programming software.

scosgt

If you have a local Microcenter, they have a new Winbook "convertable" for $139
Win 10, 2 USB ports (1X 3.0), nice 11" TOUCH screen, keyboard, bluetooth, MicroSD slot, mini HDMI.
4 gig RAM, 32 GIG EED.
May need a 16 gig MicroSSD to the the Win 10 updates, but after all updates are done runs very very well, good bright screen, perfect for internet and scanner programming. If you want to stream scanner audio need a $7.00 external USB audio card, works perfectly.
Can't get much cheaper than that.

Ubbe

Laptops usually cannot be upgraded so people sell theirs to be able to get the latest model. So there are great bargains to grab. As soon as you try to use a $20 SDR USB dongle you'll want a more powerful PC to run digital decode and view a frequency spectrum. There are so many applications for SDR dongles for all kind of things and with a less powerful PC for programming you'll need to get a second one. But no need to buy a brand new one.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.