SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100 Locate by adding city

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner_geek

Premium Subscriber
Is there away to tell the SDS100 what city your in other than putting in the zip code like in the Home Patrol ? You start to spell the city and it gives you the city your looking for.

(AUTO LOCATE) Doesn't work for me.
(SET MANUAL LOCATION) I don't know my Longitude and Latitude.
(SET UP GPS) As cool as that is, it is a pain to have all the wires running around.
(EDIT LOCATION) Is that where I can enter a city ?
(SAVE LOCATION) How does this work to save my location ?

If someone can break down these options, how can I just tell the SDS100 I am in San Diego, California ?

Thank You for the help........

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Auto Locate is a kludge that does a band scan, tries to find trunked system sites, then used the system and site IDs to guesstimate your location. It takes a long time and isn't very accurate.

Set Manual Location is where you can manually enter GPS coordinates. You can get them from Google Maps. Set the coordinate format to decimal in the scanner (Set Up GPS \ Location Format). The location coordinates are in the URL after the "@":
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9234092,-77.6843898,14z
The first value is the latitude, the second one is the longitude. Ignore the third value, that is the map zoom level.

GPS doesn't have to be as much of a pain as you think:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApJIS-l4xqPtgvQQbjn2uujFCymvKw

Save Location lets you save a set of location coordinates, and give them a name, like "Home" or "Body Dump".

Edit Location lets you change coordinate values for saved locations, or rename them "Not a Body Dump".

bob-k

lets get this correct

(SET MANUAL LOCATION) I don't know my Longitude and Latitude. (SET UP GPS) As cool as that is said:
Hey there,

I have ordered from Jon W an external kit for GPS I will only use the device in my car so I do not care about the wires!

To get a long/lat I went here https://www.latlong.net inserted any address it calculates your Long/Lat and you can insert that data! Enter a city not by name but by its attached zip code sir!

Going back to GPS when connected in Car when your home/work/anywhere your SDS100 will remember last coordinates and use them after you disconnect Scanner from GPS device

Hope this works for you!

troymail

Silent Key
Adding more hardware (GPS) may or may not be an option - entering your location manually as a lat/lon is far more cumbersome than using zip codes and really doesn't get you anything over using a zip code.

Lookup by city, etc might be a nice feature but as far as I know, it doesn't exist.

Best to just google a zip code (or use this) for an area and enter that....

The library system/frequency location data isn't all that precise anyway so a zip code will get you in the ball park.

Last edited:

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I use a program called Global Zip for my IPhone
It’s free
8904d1f03022646b6aa8addab1d04d85.png

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
Unication G4, BCD536HP

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I’m using it till the GPS cables show up

Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

Trucker700

Global Zip is so easy to use, even a Truck Driver can use it! (you thought I was going to say Cave Man)
Thanks for the tip.
Trucker

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Global Zip is so easy to use, even a Truck Driver can use it! (you thought I was going to say Cave Man)
Thanks for the tip.
Trucker

I am a trucker lol

Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.