Well I've owned many unidens over my years but I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth21w

I have had both x36 scanners and I bought a sds100 hoping that was going to be my answer to my simulcast problem. I tried all the firmware updates and different antennas every possible thing I could. I have many antennas from stubbys to rs800 to yagis it is definitely got a nice display, and I love the programming ease of sentinel. I needed a radio to keep in my shirt pocket. But the heat coming off the sds100 was unbearable to carry like that. I have sold all my unidens and whistler, and going to sell all my antennas. I bought a g4 and it needs nothing extra, no heat, long antenna or recharge after 5 hours. I hope uniden gets the firmware to work eventually because I was hoping to be able to scan multiple systems on one unit, but until then I value clear comms over all else. So long everyone, I will be around if I can help anyone, as I know all the ins and outs of all the unidens.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I have had both x36 scanners and I bought a sds100 hoping that was going to be my answer to my simulcast problem. I tried all the firmware updates and different antennas every possible thing I could. I have many antennas from stubbys to rs800 to yagis it is definitely got a nice display, and I love the programming ease of sentinel. I needed a radio to keep in my shirt pocket. But the heat coming off the sds100 was unbearable to carry like that. I have sold all my unidens and whistler, and going to sell all my antennas. I bought a g4 and it needs nothing extra, no heat, long antenna or recharge after 5 hours. I hope uniden gets the firmware to work eventually because I was hoping to be able to scan multiple systems on one unit, but until then I value clear comms over all else. So long everyone, I will be around if I can help anyone, as I know all the ins and outs of all the unidens.
You're choice and also you're loss. Really nothing to see here at all. Good luck and happy scanning.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
My uniden works fine, sold my G4

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

frazpo

You only want to listen to one department? Your opting out of listening to everything else, including depts without simulcast issues, to monitor one system? Is everything you listen to simulcast?

seth21w

You only want to listen to one department? Your opting out of listening to everything else, including depts without simulcast issues, to monitor one system? Is everything you listen to simulcast?

Currently yes, and I wish I weren't but everything near me that I'm interested in is simulcast. Harris system.

No problems with Unidens

I have had both x36 scanners and I bought a sds100 hoping that was going to be my answer to my simulcast problem.. So long everyone, I will be around if I can help anyone, as I know all the ins and outs of all the unidens.

Sorry you weren't able to get them working.

See ya'!

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I would imagine that the updated battery is not going to make it any better for your situation. The G4 will definitely be pocket friendly.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sorry it did not work for you.

I think there may be more than one factor in play as to why the SDS100 works well for some users, but fails at some others. It does seem that the SDS100 is less resistant to interference from adjacent frequencies than older Uniden scanners. A city to my south, Waxahachie, uses conventional 800KHz frequencies for PD & Fire. On one of their frequencies, on my SDS100, I could hear what sounded like a control channel in the background on the audio. That is not present on my 436HP or 536HP, and my HP-1 & HP-2, among other units.

For more experienced users, I think programming is unlikely as a cause. This was not your first rodeo. That could be the case with some of the new users, but there have been several instances of where long time scanner users had issues getting their SDS100 to perform.

The other thing that seems, at least to me, to be a possible factor in lack of success is random manufacturing defects. We knew, based on posts from UPMan, that the initial units shipped would be 'pilot production' scanners. In other words, the first ones the plant had built. There was one user in NJ (RadioDitch, I believe), that was not having success. He then, on a hunch, checked his unit further and found a poor connection between the antenna and the pc board, which he fixed. After that, the scanner worked well, apparently. There have been several other instances where someone has reported poor results, but after they exchanged their radio with their dealer, the replacement worked much better.

A number of years ago, I worked as a tech at several new car dealerships. Every time a new model, or a completely redesigned version of an existing vehicle, came out, the first units often had 'teething troubles'; poor door and window fit, rattles & wind noises, and other issues, until the production plant hit their stride & learned how to build the new units in a consistent manner. Whether something similar is happening with the initial shipments of the SDS100 is at least a potential cause of inconsistent results.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The OP never said the SDS100 didn't work, he said it got too hot to carry in a shirt pocket. Which seems a rather frivolous reason to dump an entire line of scanners, but it's his money.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
To the OP you never stated you made and turned in LOG FILES were you having receiving problems?
Did you try all the firmware updates? If not you are like the person with a flat tire complaining about how the tire is riding without putting air in the tire.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
To the OP you never stated you made and turned in LOG FILES were you having receiving problems?
Did you try all the firmware updates? If not you are like the person with a flat tire complaining about how the tire is riding without putting air in the tire.
I disagree with that analogy because just about any driver knows that car tires need air: it's common sense.

I think a more relatable analogy is buying a new car and having things not work as advertised. You must then keep trying new firmware on the car's computer in an attempt to make them function.

That said, I don't think the beta testing phase failed in any way for the SDS100 nor is it a bad product. More users equates to more knowledge in the subject of a portable SDR and the conditions it must work in. RF can be a strange character sometimes.

Seeing this is Uniden's first attempt at this type of scanner, it comes with the territory.

Ubbe

....If not you are like the person with a flat tire complaining about how the tire is riding without putting air in the tire.

Or you could compare to using big rims and extremely low profile tyres. I looks good and as long as it is a smooth surface it runs extremely well, better than standard tyres, but if the surface changes to cobblestone and gravel (difficult RF conditions) it turns into a rougher ride and could even result in a puncture. You could put in more air (firmware tweaks) to try and reduce the risk of a flat tyre but will create other side effects like a bumpier ride and bad traction and another car with standard tyres would had been a better choice. You have to choose the car and tyres to match the road you usually travel on.

/Ubbe

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Were the x36's without fault upon their launch? Nope. Uniden could have continued the SDS100 testing phase ad-nauseum, until everyone lost interest in the product. At some point, a manufacturer has to make a decision to launch, even if all the bugs haven't been worked out. Like auto manufacturers, Uniden understands this and is willing to work with the early adopters as a result.

daddyjohn

Sorry it didn't work out for you. You are not the only that is getting better service from a G4/G5. While the new Uniden does seem to be am overall improvement it still has some issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

JohnOldridge

Why switch over to Unication Radios G4 or G5?

I just read that one guy is fed up with Uniden and is switching over to a G4 or G5 radio? What is so special about those radios? Don't those radios transmit? How can you monitor, for example, your local police department, on a radio that transmits? Wouldn't you interfere with their broadcast if you keyed up on them by accident or God forbid on purpose? I'm currently using Uniden Scanners, 436 & 536 and now the SDS100.
I'm located in the Los Angeles, Ca area. I monitor my local Police departments, Monrovia, Arcadia, Sierra Madre, LA Co Sheriff and fire departments. I am able to hear the city of Los Angeles Fire Department loud and clear and the LAPD as well. I'm about 28-30 miles from Downtown L.A. Maybe the systems being utilized around me are plain old simulcast, or operate on repeaters, but my SDS100 works great. I think we have to cut Uniden a break here.

So getting back to my main reason for being here....why do scanner enthusiasts switch over to Unication Radios? Are they that much better than a typical scanner?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Currently yes, and I wish I weren't but everything near me that I'm interested in is simulcast. Harris system.

Curious what system you monitor. Harris system can be difficult, even for Unication radios.

But for your "shirt pocket" operation, it sounds like the G4 is a better fit for you, even though it lacks the flexibility of the SDS100. Tradeoffs, like everything else in life.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Were the x36's without fault upon their launch? Nope. Uniden could have continued the SDS100 testing phase ad-nauseum, until everyone lost interest in the product. At some point, a manufacturer has to make a decision to launch, even if all the bugs haven't been worked out. Like auto manufacturers, Uniden understands this and is willing to work with the early adopters as a result.

Good thing we don't do this with avionics - they have to work properly or people die.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
And avionics cost 10x or more what similar non-aviation-rated devices cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.