WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Would be nice to see a live demo before investing in that

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I know people think I'm overly critical, and I probably am. It's kept me out of some bad positions in the past.

My question is do you have to send your data through their server? Once the data hits their server, subscription or not, it is no longer yours exclusively. I wonder what their future plans involve for this data. Technically, if you're sending the data, they could redirect it to Broadcastify or set up their own streaming service with a financial benefit for them while still collecting your subscription. I know the answer is simply turn off the feed, but with a mobile and desktop app, there shouldn't be a need for either a subscription or to route through their servers. It should be a one time purchase and not involve them afterwards other than support needs. The lack of a free trial period also sets off alarms. If it's so good, there should be a try before you buy.

EDIT:
Just read the TOS. You pay them the subscription and they can use the feed any way they want.. Buyer beware.

You retain any and all of your rights to any Content you submit, post or display on or through the Service and you are responsible for protecting those rights. We take no responsibility and assume no liability for Content you or any third party posts on or through the Service. However, by posting Content using the Service you grant us the right and license to use, modify, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce, and distribute such Content on and through the Service. You agree that this license includes the right for us to make your Content available to other users of the Service, who may also use your Content subject to these Terms.

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
So, you're saying that the "Icopy" part is what they do with your information and files?

Now go to work and terrorize some recruits for me. :D

I know people think I'm overly critical, and I probably am. It's kept me out of some bad positions in the past.

My question is do you have to send your data through their server? Once the data hits their server, subscription or not, it is no longer yours exclusively. I wonder what their future plans involve for this data. Technically, if you're sending the data, they could redirect it to Broadcastify or set up their own streaming service with a financial benefit for them while still collecting your subscription. I know the answer is simply turn off the feed, but with a mobile and desktop app, there shouldn't be a need for either a subscription or to route through their servers. It should be a one time purchase and not involve them afterwards other than support needs. The lack of a free trial period also sets off alarms. If it's so good, there should be a try before you buy.

EDIT:
Just read the TOS. You pay them the subscription and they can use the feed any way they want.. Buyer beware.

robtro

lol tos

It seems like their TOS contradicts itself... if **you** retain any and all rights to content, you should be able to opt-out of their sharing of said data. Given the fact that **you** retain those rights, you should be able to stop them from being able to share the data.

EDIT:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
It seems like their TOS contradicts itself... if **you** retain any and all rights to content, you should be able to opt-out of their sharing of said data. Given the fact that **you** retain those rights, you should be able to stop them from being able to share the data.

It's just like Broadcastify. You have every right to do what you want with your feed, including streaming it to a Broacastify server. Once the stream hits the Broadcastify server, it is no longer yours, RR owns (actually rents) the server and anything willingly sent to it is now fair game for them to use as they see fit for as long as you continue to send the data. You can't stop them from using it, unless you stop the feed from going to them.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
iCopyRadio SDS100 Remote Control

Preview demo of SDS100 Remote Control: https://youtu.be/yE7piRH98as

iCopyRadio soft-launched two weeks ago. We are in the process of creating demonstration videos, and we have a webinar series that will begin next Tuesday (first video topic is Whistler related).

iCopyRadio is a software as a service model--similar to RR's subscription service model. Most of the work is done in the cloud, and the codebase is constantly evolving to include more services and adapt to changing scanner firmware, etc. We are on a “release early and often schedule,” so any bug fixes come first, then new features, and marketing last. The original design was to be completely web based, but new browser restrictions required a desktop application to interface with USB serial devices. The desktop application is not standalone and requires connection to the servers.

And when we say “Remote Control,” we don’t mean “from your computer connected to your scanner,” we mean “from essentially any modern device in the universe with internet access.” And it’s all done without complicated configuration or exposing your home network.

As for the Terms of Use, these are very common terms and likely more user-oriented than many websites. If an entity marketed to you a “Personal Stream” and instead made it a “Global Stream,” I’m confident you would have a legal basis for recovery of damages. Currently, all of the information is for only the individual user; however, we will begin to implement controlled sharing (for instance, if you want to share recordings with friends or want help with your scanner using the remote control).

See the iCopyRadio privacy policy:

“We will not use or share your information with anyone except as described in this Privacy Policy.

We use your Personal Information for providing and improving the Service. By using the Service, you agree to the collection and use of information in accordance with this policy.”

“We collect this information for the purpose of providing the Service, identifying and communicating with you, responding to your requests/inquiries, servicing your purchase orders, and improving our services.”
As a comparison, here are the RR terms, which I presume everyone here is cool with, seeing as you are here:

“With respect to text or data entered into and stored by publicly-accessible site features such as forums and database ("RadioReference.com Public Content"), the submitting user retains ownership of such RadioReference.com Public Content; with respect to publicly-available statistical content which is generated by the site to monitor and display content activity, such content is owned by RadioReference.com. In each such case, the submitting user grants RadioReference.com the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, transferable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, and display such Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, all subject to the terms of any applicable license.”
iCopyRadio does not offer a free service for the following reasons:

1. It is a premium service with premium customer support. We cannot afford to spend hours with people who are not truly interested in the service.
  2. It is available only to those in the United States, and credit card verification is the best way to limit this.
  3. To protect the code, software, and service as much as possible.
  4. To ensure a good user experience and that resources for paid customers are never exhausted.
However, as noted in the FAQ and Terms, we do offer refunds on a case by case basis, such as if the service does not work for you for various technological reasons (e.g. but not to abuse it as a “free trial”—just to make it right if it didn’t work). The cost is $9.99 to try it out. And I can promise you iCopyRadio cares less about $9.99 than to make you happy. After you subscribe, we are available to walk you through the service.

As far as the Uniden Remote Control, we’ve taken the menu and redesigned the user experience. For instance, you can type in the input fields and navigate with your mouse. It makes programming via the scanner almost as easy as programming via Sentinel. The software automatically keeps your scanner clock set, which is nice if you have a 536 with the bad battery. SDS100 Remote Control has been up since the website launched.

Here’s a link to a short preview: https://youtu.be/yE7piRH98as

Our email address is Support@iCopyRadio.com, and we’re happy to help where we can.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I'm just a bit hesitant with the wording. There was an incident recently where a person who provided a feed to RR was having his feed used by a competitor (news agency) on their website. RR had to take action because they owned the feed, not the person providing the feed. If you willingly send a stream to an icecast, shoutcast or any other type of audio server, the owner of that server has the right to disseminate the data any way they see fit. To pay $75-120 per year for the service with the potential to have them make additional profit off of your data stream seems a bit suspect to me.

Of course, someone will be an early adopter and we'll find out if it's worth it. It won't be me. My 536HP has scared me off of early adoption.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
As the website expands, there will be forums and media sharing, thus a TOC that captures all of that upfront. Private streams are private streams. If it's marketed as such, a customer would have significant legal remedy if their information was misused. iCopyRadio does not have the right to disseminate the data. I, too, view things through the same skeptical lens and am thankful for your critical analysis of these permutations. I wouldn't want anyone to feel taken advantage of, and, if iCopyRadio does go to public streams, the data providers will be financially compensated. But as of right now, the service is limited to personal streaming and radio control, and I believe it is also the most secure product available today for accomplishing those tasks.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for taking my opinion in the manner in which it was intended. I am interested in seeing how it develops.

scosgt

As far as Whistler, not seeing where it is in any way superior to TRX Android
Suite which works great.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
  1. Works on everything not just one platform.
  2. Absolutely real-time
  3. High quality audio
  4. Low data usage
  5. Shows full information for call and latches until next call
  6. Doesn't open up your computer to vulnerabilities or require you to host a server on your machine
  7. Easy to setup and use
To name a few.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
  2. Absolutely real-time
  3. High quality audio
  4. Low data usage
  6. Doesn't open up your computer to vulnerabilities or require you to host a server on your machine
  7. Easy to setup and use
To name a few.

Good to know, thanks for the info .

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
The bulleted list above was specifically for the Whistler. #5 does not yet apply to Uniden... Mainly because the regular Uniden display already takes up a lot of screen space compared to the amount of information displayed on a Whistler LCD screen. Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

scosgt

2. Absolutely real-time
  3. High quality audio
  4. Low data usage
  7. Easy to setup and use
To name a few.

If your computer does not host the radio - ???
How does it work.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
You plug your scanner into the computer and the information is sent to iCopyRadio servers. On the other desktop application approaches, your computer/network becomes a webserver that anyone and everyone can access. iCopyRadio uses secure encrypted communication, basically the same mechanisms used by your browser when you visit encrypted web pages.

With iCopyRadio, you download the desktop app, plug in your scanner, and then login where ever you want to access it, and it just works.

scosgt

You plug your scanner into the computer and the information is sent to iCopyRadio servers. On the other desktop application approaches, your computer/network becomes a webserver that anyone and everyone can access. iCopyRadio uses secure encrypted communication, basically the same mechanisms used by your browser when you visit encrypted web pages.

With iCopyRadio, you download the desktop app, plug in your scanner, and then login where ever you want to access it, and it just works.

Umm, I think I would rather use my own PC as a server rather than sending anything to you.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I'll pass

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.