Micro USB on SDS100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blunt630

Any updates on the micro usb functions?

Can we swap the mini usb functions to micro usb? I have TONS of micro usb cords...but really? Mini usb? URgh!

USPilot

Premium Subscriber
Uniden could have used the opportunity to show they were looking towards the future and used USB C. But no, they had to use a connector almost 20 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You don't really need a 2.5GB/s transfer rate to program a scanner that has a maximum of 32GB of storage, and typically less than 10MB of programming data.

USPilot

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps not, but a connector that you don’t have to check if it is upside-down is a good choice. USB C is the successor to micro usb and should have been used. You know next generation instead of two gens ago.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A connector found on every computer manufactured in the last 20 years and 1/4 the price while still offering reasonable performance is an even better choice. There's a lot of computers that don't have USB-C ports.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Oh man he is so right. Its extremely difficult to trouble my self with making sure i plug my cable in correctly. LOL

Perhaps Uniden should have approached apple and licensed the lightening connector. Im sure there are more of those cable around then USB-C which is still trying to gain traction. Its getting there.. slowly..

At least we have 2 options for cables to power our device now. Mini USB or Micro USB.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
I mark my USB cables to indicate the size and orientation. I use a yellow dot for micro, and a red dot for mini connectors, on the top of the radio connector. That way, I know what size a connector is, and which way it goes. I use a 'paint pen' from the craft store. It's like a Magic Marker, but with oil-based paint; costs a couple of bucks, and you may find other uses for it once you have one or two.

radio3353

I mark my USB cables to indicate the size and orientation. I use a yellow dot for micro, and a red dot for mini connectors, on the top of the radio connector. That way, I know what size a connector is, and which way it goes. I use a 'paint pen' from the craft store. It's like a Magic Marker, but with oil-based paint; costs a couple of bucks, and you may find other uses for it once you have one or two.

I do something similar - I use White-out to mark orientation. Real simple. Having said that, I do like USB-C. It will just take a while before the 'old' stuff is flushed out of the system.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I also use a white paint pen to mark all my adapters and cables. Besides marking plug orientations, I mark all my adapters with amp & voltage outputs, which device the adapter is for, and also for any other accessories that are specific to a certain device. Got to be where I had too many adapters/accessories where I couldn't tell which one was for which device and the print on them is smaller than my old eyes can see. Now I mark everything as soon as I open the package.

USPilot

Premium Subscriber
Well kind of back to the original topic. Yeah, it would be nice to switch the data source so you could use the cable we have drawers full of.

Switching between connectors should be a menu item. It could be done on a software defined radio. Probably low on the list

More on USB-C below.

https://www.xkcd.com/927/

Michael, N1QHT

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This is my favorite: "Omit this if you're a wimp."

Attachments

• circuit_diagram.jpg
    circuit_diagram.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 378

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I also use a white paint pen to mark all my adapters and cables. Besides marking plug orientations, I mark all my adapters with amp & voltage outputs, which device the adapter is for, and also for any other accessories that are specific to a certain device. Got to be where I had too many adapters/accessories where I couldn't tell which one was for which device and the print on them is smaller than my old eyes can see. Now I mark everything as soon as I open the package.

You do that, too, huh? I use the white/silver Sharpie on transformers, most everything else I use the small red dot stickies (garage sale price stickers) and write on them. I can't remember where I got that from, but that guy should be a nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize.

rcool101

Feed Provider
A connector found on every computer manufactured in the last 20 years and 1/4 the price while still offering reasonable performance is an even better choice. There's a lot of computers that don't have USB-C ports.
USB-C is only on one end of the cable to fit my Samsung phone..Standard USB is on the other end so computers don't need USB-C

Status
Not open for further replies.