RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern - For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2018, 8:29 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default SDS100 Invaluable During Flo

I live in New Bern NC which was just devastated by Hurricane Florence and the SDS100 was literally as important to me as my generator.

When I first bought the SDS100 I thought to myself “You must be nuts to spend $700 on something you already can do with Linux and OP25 and/or SDRTrunk.”

Boy was I wrong. That was $700 well spent. I knew what was going on and heck even the NOAA NWS weather channel went out in New Bern. They tell you to buy a weather radio and that only works if the weather channel stays up.

Really loving my purchase right about now.

A dedicated hardware scanner during an emergency situation is VITAL and HELPFUL and provides piece of mind. Way more than $700 worth.
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2018, 12:42 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Lived in Florida for 22 years and been thru quite a few, and have to agree that scanners are an invaluable resource during a hurricane, or any emergency predicament. I quickly learned that a reliable power source is just as invaluable. After running my car battery dead getting updates during one storm, I purchased a small diesel generator. That has evolved over the years to a backup power system which I keep on standby at all times. Two generators - a Generac 6500 dedicated to my radio desk, and a Champion 7500 for essentials. I also purchased an UPS unit to keep the desk up and running without any hiccups. I settled on a CyberPower CP1000, a very reliable emergency backup that has saved my arse more than a few times. Gives me enough time to assess the situation and deploy the generators without losing my scanners and internet during a blackout. A few Red Cross Blackout Buddies plugged into my power strips in my office and around the house for instant emergency lighting. Believe me, I learned about 'prepping' the hard way.

Communications and a backup power plan are a must wherever you live!!

JD
kf4anc

Last edited by TailGator911; 09-16-2018 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 10-14-2018, 9:18 PM

How well does it do on the city system in general?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:25 AM
Uniden Representative

We are happy we made a product that helped, and we hope that you and yours are all good. I looked up some of the news stories from New Bern after Florence, pretty scary stuff.