SDS100 Invaluable During Flo

Status
Not open for further replies.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
I live in New Bern NC which was just devastated by Hurricane Florence and the SDS100 was literally as important to me as my generator.

When I first bought the SDS100 I thought to myself “You must be nuts to spend $700 on something you already can do with Linux and OP25 and/or SDRTrunk.”

Boy was I wrong. That was $700 well spent. I knew what was going on and heck even the NOAA NWS weather channel went out in New Bern. They tell you to buy a weather radio and that only works if the weather channel stays up.

Really loving my purchase right about now.

A dedicated hardware scanner during an emergency situation is VITAL and HELPFUL and provides piece of mind. Way more than $700 worth.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Lived in Florida for 22 years and been thru quite a few, and have to agree that scanners are an invaluable resource during a hurricane, or any emergency predicament. I quickly learned that a reliable power source is just as invaluable. After running my car battery dead getting updates during one storm, I purchased a small diesel generator. That has evolved over the years to a backup power system which I keep on standby at all times. Two generators - a Generac 6500 dedicated to my radio desk, and a Champion 7500 for essentials. I also purchased an UPS unit to keep the desk up and running without any hiccups. I settled on a CyberPower CP1000, a very reliable emergency backup that has saved my arse more than a few times. Gives me enough time to assess the situation and deploy the generators without losing my scanners and internet during a blackout. A few Red Cross Blackout Buddies plugged into my power strips in my office and around the house for instant emergency lighting. Believe me, I learned about 'prepping' the hard way.

Communications and a backup power plan are a must wherever you live!!

JD
kf4anc

Last edited:

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
We are happy we made a product that helped, and we hope that you and yours are all good. I looked up some of the news stories from New Bern after Florence, pretty scary stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.