BCD436HP/BCD536HP: SMA Tighening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I hate sending my radio in for repair. I noticed that the SMA loosened on my original unit. So, someone suggested that I purchase a span wrench to tighten the SMA. After buying this wrench, I am having second thoughts. Reportedly, there is another portion of the SMA assembly inside the radio that might get screwed up. I fried the circuit board of my AR1000 with a soldering iron. I think I'm going to send this one in to Uniden and pay the money for my peace of mind.

W2MB

If you are not comfortable with doing it yourself, or not knowledgeable about the physical design of the connection, by all means send it out to someone who is.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Curious

If one were to tighten the SMA, I am assuming the tightening rotation would be counterclockwise, right? I have two 456HP units. The original has the loosened SMA. If I mess it up, it won't void the warranty.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
On the radios I have had apart, the sma was removed with the outside ring turning counterclockwise. Clockwise tightens the sma. These were not 456HPs, but other brands of HTs I have repaired.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I hate sending my radio in for repair. I noticed that the SMA loosened on my original unit. So, someone suggested that I purchase a span wrench to tighten the SMA. After buying this wrench

Out of curiosity, where did you buy this wrench?

I have one myself, but I obtained it a long time ago, and can't remember where it came from. And I can't find it again. And without the proper name for the tool, it's difficult to do a Google search and come up with the right item.

I thought the name was a "spanner wrench", but this term brings up lots of tools that wouldn't work for this application.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Out of curiosity, where did you buy this wrench?

I have one myself, but I obtained it a long time ago, and can't remember where it came from. And I can't find it again. And without the proper name for the tool, it's difficult to do a Google search and come up with the right item.

I thought the name was a "spanner wrench", but this term brings up lots of tools that wouldn't work for this application.

Something like this is what you're looking for...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/310808572946

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Kevin. That is exactly the tool I have. I just couldn't remember what they called it.

FWIW, this tool will work for tightening the SMA nut on the SDS100, but the little tabs on the bottom are slightly too wide; if you file them down slightly it's a perfect fit.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
E Tool

Something like this is what you're looking for...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/310808572946

I have heard many references to this tool, but this is the first time I've actually seen it. Thank you.

So, the SMA tightens counterclockwise on the 436HP?

I am attempting to avoid a repair when I send this in for my internal clock campaign. I waited until I had the tools to repair it and buy a battery door.

That blasted rubber boot over the connections has come off both units. I'm afraid the in/out movement of the radio inside the hard leather case took a toll. I am going to leave them alone since they will come off again. I would rather have protected radios than covered connections.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
SMA nut turns the same direction as connecting an antenna (goes onto the same threads).

woodpecker

I have an x-key now but have also used a pair of circlip pliers to remove the nut, I did also make a DIY tool by filing an aluminium tube, the key is much better though.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Two-Way Radio Repair

SMA nut turns the same direction as connecting an antenna (goes onto the same threads).

I am attempting to make these adjustments prior to sending in my original 436HP. The SMA was loose so I am going to ask a radio technician to tighten such, just for safety sake. I already ordered the lost battery door. Initially, I was going to have the rubber boot over the connections replaced, but it would eventually come off since I use a hard leather case that tends to bend it back.

Then, I can just send it in for the internal clock issue. I don't want to wait for a repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.