SDS100/SDS200: SDS100: Considering Class Action Lawsuit Against Uniden - SDS100 Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffhochberg

Premium Subscriber
All,

I gave up on reading this forum for a couple of months because, every time I saw posts about the large battery “coming soon”, it did nothing but upset me.

I bought mine the day it came out and was pleasantly surprised to see that yellow sheet of paper on which Uniden willingly admitted the performance of the battery included with the scanner was under performing based on the advertised numbers. It’s quite rare to see a manufacturer something like that.

At this point, we are going on almost 6 months since the SDS100 was released. Still no battery as promised. I feel badly for Upman (Paul Optiv) for being in a position where all he can say is that it’s coming but he’s not sure when.

Then there’s additional false hope after a post telling us we need to make sure that our address is up to date in our myUniden profiles.

Candidly, I have a funny feeling that Paul does know the inside story about where the battery is, but is under an iron clad non-disclosure agreement whereby he can’t share any details. I understand why he wouldn’t want to breech the agreement and share any details.

But at this point..ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! Uniden has been AWFUL at customer service since I’ve been a customer of theirs. The only reason I come back is because the scanners are decent products. At this point though, I wish I bought a Unication G5 and never looked back to Uniden again.

I’m starting to feel like it’s appropriate to consider a class action suit against Uniden for not delivering on the performance. I bring this message to you, my fellow SDS100 owners, who feel slighted by a major corporation that thinks they can continue treating customers this way.

What sort of recourse do we have as consumers? Well, unless you have an army of attorneys (even just one) not much gets accomplished.

Any credibility that was established with that promise on that little yellow sheet of paper has long since been negated.

Beyond any shadow of a doubt, the SDS100 is the last Uniden product I will ever buy. I don’t even care if their next scanner allows me to listen to far away galaxies.

If you’re interested in joining me to determine the feasibility of such an effort, please let me know! I would be more than happy to contact attorneys to figure out how to get the ball rolling here.

I’d love to get my battery and some form of restitution.

If nothing else, let’s get their attention and get them to start giving answers!

-JeffH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

15plus1

This isn't the first time..

5. When there is a problem, admit it as soon as possible.
Customers are not stupid. Ignoring or denying a legitimate problem is not the way to handle it.
If necessary, check with legal or senior management before commenting.
Never promise a fix you cannot deliver.

6. Under promise and over deliver.
Don't make absolute performance claims -- YMMV is never so true as with radio products.

rustynswrail

A major first world problem, Uniden are late in delivering a free battery. Wow how will we survive having to wait a few months longer than advised? Build a bridge - get over it!

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, but this is a stupid post.
Uniden could have said nothing. They could have left it alone with the small battery and said "too bad". They could offer the larger battery and make you pay for it, instead, they are trying to give you one for free!

I certainly hope that you were aware of this shortcoming before you purchased this radio. I know it was abundantly clear to me.

All of this crying and fist pounding that everyone is engaging in is rather embarrassing, frankly.

Count me out of your lawsuit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ashleyct3

Ash
Premium Subscriber
All I see is a Company trying to please their customers. They delivered a product, saw an issue and then they fixed it. They didn't have to do a thing, but they chose to go the extra mile and "TRY" to make their customers happy. A lawsuit would be an embarrassment to the radio community. I think that we as a community are better than this.

seth21w

Dude if you need longer battery life that bad just take 30 dollars off list on ebay and buy a new one with the large battery. Be much cheaper than paying a lawyer. I sold my first sds100 on ebay used but not because of battery life but firmware was not right yet. Also im pretty sure this should be moved to the tavern.

jeffhochberg

Premium Subscriber
Dude if you need longer battery life that bad just take 30 dollars off list on ebay and buy a new one with the large battery. Be much cheaper than paying a lawyer. I sold my first sds100 on ebay used but not because of battery life but firmware was not right yet. Also im pretty sure this should be moved to the tavern.

You’re absolutely right that this should be moved to the tavern. I will see if that’s possible.

Thanks for your feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jeffhochberg

Premium Subscriber
It’s not possible to move a post to another forum. I will create a new on and remove this one.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback...insults or not.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It’s not possible to move a post to another forum. I will create a new on and remove this one.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback...insults or not.
Don't create a new thread. And only a moderator could delete a thread, not a member of the forums. Neither can you "move" a post. Only Moderators have that type of access.

Instead, click on the red triangle in the upper right corner of your first post, 'to report this thread'.
In the box that comes up on the next screen, simply state that you're asking that this be moved to the tavern.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I like the small battery just fine, and am patiently waiting for the bigger one, not eager to add more bulk to the radio with the addition size it brings. I feel lucky to have the small version.

jeffhochberg

Premium Subscriber
Don't create a new thread. And only a moderator could delete a thread, not a member of the forums. Neither can you "move" a post. Only Moderators have that type of access.

Instead, click on the red triangle in the upper right corner of your first post, 'to report this thread'.
In the box that comes up on the next screen, simply state that you're asking that this be moved to the tavern.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I have to say that I agree with the class action lawsuit.

Not because I need the battery that bad nor because the rest are crying about it.

I agree because of Undones track record of deceiving the public since the sale of the 436 and the false promises of options that NEVER came to light.

Now, we have the same thing going with the SDS.....Has anyone gotten the battery? No! Has anyone received the software or information on getting the SDR side working and or testing with the SDS? No. Will the VHF side of the radio ever work correctly? probably not but, WHO KNOWS!

Fanboys are going to say what they always do and sit there in wait for the holy word of the one person who takes all the heat when he shouldn't be. He's just the public scapegoat and they (undone) and most of us know that.

It is time to teach Undone a lesson that when customers are paying them good amounts of money for a product they publicly sell and DO NOT put all those options or listed ideas into action then, it is time to pay back those who tried to believe in them and their products.

Flame away fellas. I need good commentary!

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
All,

<snip senseless gibberish>

Any credibility that was established with that promise on that little yellow sheet of paper has long since been negated.

Speak for yourself. They've lost no credibility in my eyes. They can't get the promised battery delivered "on time"? Hey, $h!t happens. There are many more important things I could be worrying about instead.

<snip more senseless gibberish>

I&#8217;d love to get my battery and some form of restitution.

Restitution for something they're giving you for free? Bwahahahahaha. Oh my, that's freakin' hilarious.

:D

Last edited:

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I have poor battery life with my "Regular, standard" (underperforming) battery. Compared to pretty much every other scanner, and every portable radio I have ever owned, if a comparison to those can be made.

What I don't want, is a huge, fat scanner, in order to make it "normal". But if I want average performance, that's what I would be stuck with. Thats ridiculous, and is not a "reasonable solution" that's simply an "easy fix". (There are the same size batteries available with higher amperage and life cycles, you just have to look around to source them out)

Hoping Whistler get's it right, so my SDS100 can find it's home in one of my vehicles, since it has GPS capability... (Which, as another user here has shown us, was an easy, low cost, internal modification that Uniden could/should have implemented, but refused to) And that's a real kicker too, since Uniden currently holds the patent on GPS based scanning...

Chronic

I bet when someone finally gets their larger battery it is going to be a test battery that has been test cycled to close to its end of life. Kind of like complaining to someone who makes your food , you can count on having some extra Spit on your burger !

scannersnstuff

How much more discussion does this issue need ?. The new battery will arrive, when it arrive's. Nobody is getting screwed.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
How much more discussion does this issue need ?. The new battery will arrive, when it arrives. Nobody is getting screwed.

Exactly.

Now, if Uniden suddenly announces that they will not be sending us early adopters the battery / door, then people might have a legitimate complaint.

:)

BBossman1

I have no "dog in this fight", I bought my SDS100 with the "large" battery, but this is a discussion forum so...

I have to ask... Did Uniden make any battery run time guarantees that weren't being met, and if so did your radio not meet those performance guarantees? If it didn't meet their performance guarantees to your satisfaction why didn't you return it for a refund? Did you try and return it for a refund and were denied? Did the battery 'issue" make the radio inherently unsafe or materially unusable?

These are all questions that are going to be asked by any attorney before they will take on a consumer product lawsuit.

Not defending Uniden, just offering some realities on civil litigation.

denrodg

Doesn't play well with others
Banned
This post is ignorant at best

You'd NEVER win any type of lawsuit for any company offering to fix a mild issue of a battery not lasting as long as YOU want it to, especially when THEY offer to fix it for free and technically there is NOTHING wrong with the battery, it works and is NOT defective, it just doen't work as long as THEY would like it to and offer to replace it and YOU are going to cry class action lawsuit? are you stupid? man, this is just getting old listening to all you cryhards whine about something for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.