SDS 100: Inferior Design, Materials and Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

kansaden

So I get my new jumbo battery in the mail the other day. Today I dropped it on the floor from 2 feet and the battery comes out because the clamp holding the now much heavier battery breaks.

Uniden customer support (or lack thereof) tells me I'll have to send it in (at my expense) and the techs will decide weather they'll repair it or not.

This is what I get for shelling out bug bucks for a scanner made with inferior plastics and an afterthought battery replacement due to a not so well thought out scanner design.

No thanks. I'll just use duct tape.

Tramagod

So I get my new jumbo battery in the mail the other day. Today I dropped it on the floor from 2 feet and the battery comes out because the clamp holding the now much heavier battery breaks.

Uniden customer support (or lack thereof) tells me I'll have to send it in (at my expense) and the techs will decide weather they'll repair it or not.

This is what I get for shelling out bug bucks for a scanner made with inferior plastics and an afterthought battery replacement due to a not so well thought out scanner design.

No thanks. I'll just use duct tape.

So your dropping it is their fault? If I shell out “bug” bucks, like I did for mine, you can be sure I’m damn careful with it. I’ve found the SDS100 case to be much sturdier than that of the 436 and other designs of the past, and the other designs just had a slip on battery cover, not a heavy duty clip like that of the 100. You’re entitled to your opinion and I respect that, but you just can’t blame the manufacturer for something that wasn’t their fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tramagod

passing a a four foot drop test is common for portable electronic equipment.

Yeah, I’m not buying the two foot drop, I’ve dropped my 436 from higher than that with no effect. The 100 is built like a tank compared to the 436.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
That guy will buy anything. If it had an inferior design and products im wondering why he purchased it in the first place.
Good thing he is taking full responsibility for dropping it, oh wait he isnt.

EDIT: To make this a productive comment, rather then negative, to the OP.

If you had come on here asking if other people had had issues like yours or perhaps warned other people that if you drop it at a short height it could break there might have been more positive responses.

Anybody else drop their scanner at 2 feet and have it break like the OP?
FYI, Uniden support handled it perfectly, dropping your device falls under customer abuse. Not normal use. So them asking you to send it in so they can evaluate it is what should be expected.

Last edited:

allend

Premium Subscriber
Thats funny. If I dropped my radio why would I come onto a radio forum and tell the world I dropped my radio. Would anybody care. NO

If I dropped my radio and it broke then I would say o well its my fault. Its called taking ownership in your stuff. Take responsibility for your actions. Even if you made this radio like a steal armor tank somebody is always going to complain about something. Next time buy an APX 8000 commerical grade radio for 6 to 8K and then drop it. You won't complain anymore. Its won't break. But there is a cost for everything.

Tramagod

Thats funny. If I dropped my radio why would I come onto a radio forum and tell the world I dropped my radio. Would anybody care. NO

If I dropped my radio and it broke then I would say o well its my fault. Its called taking ownership in your stuff. Take responsibility for your actions. Even if you made this radio like a steal armor tank somebody is always going to complain about something. Next time buy an APX 8000 commerical grade radio for 6 to 8K and then drop it. You won't complain anymore. Its won't break. But there is a cost for everything.

Well said.

Tramagod

That guy will buy anything. If it had an inferior design and products im wondering why he purchased it in the first place.
Good thing he is taking full responsibility for dropping it, oh wait he isnt.

EDIT: To make this a productive comment, rather then negative, to the OP.

If you had come on here asking if other people had had issues like yours or perhaps warned other people that if you drop it at a short height it could break there might have been more positive responses.

Anybody else drop their scanner at 2 feet and have it break like the OP?
FYI, Uniden support handled it perfectly, dropping your device falls under customer abuse. Not normal use. So them asking you to send it in so they can evaluate it is what should be expected.

Well said, I think this all part of our society developing an overinflated sense of entitlement. People not wanting accept responsibility for their actions or finding fault in others for things that are their fault.

ipfd320

Banned
Jesus Christ Lighten Up on the Guy--Holy S**t Maybe he is Right on the Quality of the Product--It Does Not Mean Any of You are Better than He Is to Bash and Bully the OP

Is He Ripping You All a New One--So Why Do it to Him--All He did was State what Happened Commented on the Broken Part that Caused this Mess and Commented on Unidens Return Policy

TiJmhpovo

Tramagod

Jesus Christ Lighten Up on the Guy--Holy S**t Maybe he is Right on the Quality of the Product--It Does Not Mean Any of You are Better than He Is to Bash and Bully the OP

Is He Ripping You All a New One--So Why Do it to Him--All He did was State what Happened Commented on the Broken Part that Caused this Mess and Commented on Unidens Return Policy

TiJmhpovo

A broken part didn’t cause this mess, him dropping it caused the mess and then blaming the manufacturer for the end damage? Really? That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Defend him if you will, that’s your right,but when he blames Uniden for what he did, as a loyal Uniden user for over 30 years, I’m going to call a spade a spade.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Why not just get a new clamp, assuming that is all that's broken.

That seems pretty simple, if Uniden sells them. But - and this might be a big butt - looking at mine it seems that you would have to remove the top face of the radio body to install the new retention clip on the anchor pin? And, if that is the case, would that void the warranty?

Something to think about, and probably why Uniden insists on sending it in for their tech evaluation.

JD
kf4anc

radio3353

TiJmhpovo

Doesn't matter. The OP said something bad about a Uniden product on a Uniden chat board. That's all it takes to get ripped from the in crowd. :wink:

Tramagod

Doesn't matter. The OP said something bad about a Uniden product on a Uniden chat board. That's all it takes to get ripped from the in crowd. :wink:

Been that way for years, go to a Ford dealership and start badmouthing the F-150 and see what happens [emoji23]

radio3353

Been that way for years, go to a Ford dealership and start badmouthing the F-150 and see what happens

I highly doubt a Ford employee would talk to you the way Uniden fanboys talk to others who have a disparaging word about a Uniden product.

Tramagod

I highly doubt a Ford employee would talk to you the way Uniden fanboys talk to others who have a disparaging word about a Uniden product.

But what it all comes downs to is the OP by their own admission dropped the radio and in the same breath blamed Uniden for poor quality and design, not for one second accepts responsibility for their own actions. False sense of entitlement! Do you think the “fanboys” are going to stand up and cheer to that? If you do you’re just as delusional as the OP. Good day.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Yeah, I’m not buying the two foot drop, I’ve dropped my 436 from higher than that with no effect. The 100 is built like a tank compared to the 436.

We have electronics here that gets dropped 2 feet all the time without damage, cordless phones, computer mice, TV remotes. The cordless phone get dropped from 5 feet more times than I care to think about.

radio3353

But what it all comes downs to is the OP by their own admission dropped the radio and in the same breath blamed Uniden for poor quality and design, not for one second accepts responsibility for their own actions. False sense of entitlement! Do you think the “fanboys” are going to stand up and cheer to that? If you do you’re just as delusional as the OP. Good day.

Good day to you too.

As you say, the OP admitted to dropping the radio so he or she accepts some of the responsibility through that statement. From two feet which, as previously mentioned, should not have broken a properly designed consumer product. The OP feels the heavier battery design contributed to the failure. That is not an unreasonable conclusion. And, if that is true, then Uniden does share some responsibility. That is what it comes down to.

Status
Not open for further replies.