SDS100/SDS200: Not working after return to Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

divison200

Just received by SDS-100 was not receiving anything and was returned to Uniden. Received the unit back today and still no radio traffic. Repair that was performed was cold solder joint. Explained in my note to them have worked with radios since the 1980's. I know how to program and operate radios. I wanted a new radio from the start, do not know why they did not just send me a new one???????

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
Our repair department looks at whatever the issue is and makes the decision to repair or replace based on their findings. It should never happen that your unit is not working when you recieve it, but in the off chance it does happen, We will generally send out a pre-paid shipping label to pick the item up. I will private message you to get some information and do some troubleshooting.

divison200

I reset the radio, updated the database, tried scanning full database plus my favorites, no reception. I have been running my 536, 996p, 436 they are all receiving and the sds 100 is silent. I spoke with customer service, they will be sending out a prepaid shipping label. However at this point, I would like a new radio, you can keep this one. And not a radio from the first series of this radio. Thank You

Last edited:

Embalmer-Mortician

Premium Subscriber
And this is why I never buy a new model radio out the gate. Quality control is a lost skill. Not worth the aggravation.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Wait a minute.... let me get this straight.... some folks had to send this thing in three times to get it to work?

Poorly designed, big fatass battery causing doors to crack off and break? For $650 PLUS?

Please, please... hold off on more postings while I refill the popcorn.....

coolderb

Just received by SDS-100 was not receiving anything and was returned to Uniden. Received the unit back today and still no radio traffic. Repair that was performed was cold solder joint. Explained in my note to them have worked with radios since the 1980's. I know how to program and operate radios. I wanted a new radio from the start, do not know why they did not just send me a new one???????

I got mine back from repair last week. It also had a cold solder joint repair done. I excitedly fired it up at work. I received a few Automatic terminal information service (ATIS) transmissions (I work next to an airport), but nothing else. I couldn't even receive NOAA weather info. I was furious because I thought I had the same problem as before. Then when I got home I swapped the stock antenna with my trusty RS800 antenna and suddenly it sprang to life! My SDS100 is now working better than ever:)

w4amp

Premium Subscriber

Please post the paperwork from Uniden that corroborates your post.

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
Wow 3 trips. That's crazy. What was wrong with it? I've had mine since July. It really lacks on vhf/uhf analog sensitivity. My sds100 won't pick up a vhf analog police frequency about 60 miles away from me but my 436, 325p2, 125at, trx-1, and other radios do. Was thinking of sending mine in. But on p25 700/800 mhz, the radio is far the best for simulcast decode. Analog and AM aircraft band, the radio is deaf and useless. Very annoying and disappointing I bought a sds100.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
It's a continuous mystery to me that some sds100 owners are totally satisfied with all aspects of this radio and others are not. Did Uniden change something in its interior circuitry between production runs? I bought mine the last week before they started selling them with the big battery, so I was able to get in on the free battery. Mine performs flawlessly, on both digital simulcast systems and vhf/uhf, air band, itinerants, etc. I hear airport towers 25mi away clear as a bell. Mall cops 20 mi away on dot frequencies. Vhf public safety out in Preble county 30 mi away with some static but hearable. Mine has never run 'hot'. Charges normal while running. I have zero problems. This cannot just be some fluke as to some sds100s working like mine and others 'deaf' on vhf/uhf. Has to be an explanation for it.

Just off the top of my head, I have estimated possibly 25-30 (out of hundreds) unhappy customers with receive, repair, charging, issues with the SDS100 just in this forum. I wonder what the actual numbers are aside of this forum, the percentage out of thousands of owners. It doesn't seem to be an issue elsewhere in consumer reports. I would be curious as to how the serial numbers read, if the 'problem' radios are of a certain group produced in Vietnam.

Of course, when I heard the radios were being manufactured in 'Nam I almost did not buy one for that simple reason. Some of us remember Charlie and wonder at the quality of workmanship and the probability of belated revenge. :) (a feeble joke from a Vietnam combat veteran) All feeble jokes aside, I am and always will be curious at to why some of the SDS100s are peak performers and others are plagued with problems.

JD
kf4anc

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I got mine back from repair last week. It also had a cold solder joint repair done. I excitedly fired it up at work. I received a few Automatic terminal information service (ATIS) transmissions (I work next to an airport), but nothing else. I couldn't even receive NOAA weather info. I was furious because I thought I had the same problem as before. Then when I got home I swapped the stock antenna with my trusty RS800 antenna and suddenly it sprang to life! My SDS100 is now working better than ever:)

Good follow up, interesting to see that its working better then before with a different antenna.
Wouldnt that be bad if it was antennas causing some of the issues vs the units them selves being bad.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
It's a continuous mystery to me that some sds100 owners are totally satisfied with all aspects of this radio and others are not. Did Uniden change something in its interior circuitry between production runs? I bought mine the last week before they started selling them with the big battery, so I was able to get in on the free battery. Mine performs flawlessly, on both digital simulcast systems and vhf/uhf, air band, itinerants, etc. I hear airport towers 25mi away clear as a bell. Mall cops 20 mi away on dot frequencies. Vhf public safety out in Preble county 30 mi away with some static but hearable. Mine has never run 'hot'. Charges normal while running. I have zero problems. This cannot just be some fluke as to some sds100s working like mine and others 'deaf' on vhf/uhf. Has to be an explanation for it.

Just off the top of my head, I have estimated possibly 25-30 (out of hundreds) unhappy customers with receive, repair, charging, issues with the SDS100 just in this forum. I wonder what the actual numbers are aside of this forum, the percentage out of thousands of owners. It doesn't seem to be an issue elsewhere in consumer reports. I would be curious as to how the serial numbers read, if the 'problem' radios are of a certain group produced in Vietnam.

Of course, when I heard the radios were being manufactured in 'Nam I almost did not buy one for that simple reason. Some of us remember Charlie and wonder at the quality of workmanship and the probability of belated revenge. :) (a feeble joke from a Vietnam combat veteran) All feeble jokes aside, I am and always will be curious at to why some of the SDS100s are peak performers and others are plagued with problems.

JD
kf4anc

I wonder this as well. The whole "YMMV" factor is true enough depending on location, antennas, interference, etc.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I wonder this as well. The whole "YMMV" factor is true enough depending on location, antennas, interference, etc.

I had two SDS100's and both were like night and day. The second one with the larger battery was significantly better in VHF/UHF analog frequencies. In regards to the heat being generated, there was about a 20-30 degree heat reduction with the second SDS100.

divison200

My radio worked for a short time, then stopped receiving transmissions on all bands. Indoor,outdoor antennas were used, the radio was cleared, all steps reprogramming and starting over again were performed several times with no positive result.

divison200

Uniden repair ticket

Comment Log

12/03/2018 001 Units Invoiced 12/03/2018 By SC21777

Line Model Work In Progress Info

Model: SDS100
Serial: 88000517
POP Date: 05/30/2018
MFG Date: N/A

•11/05/2018 UNIT HAS BEEN RECEIVED

•12/03/2018 IN LINE TO BE SHIPPED

•12/03/2018 UNIT HAS BEEN SHIPPED