I hate being lied to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citywide74

Premium Subscriber
About two weeks ago my 5 and a half month old SDS-100 stopped receiving after only what I can believe to be is an overheating issue, given that the unit also stopped getting warm after this happened. I contacted Uniden who told me to send it in, and the turn around time would be two - three weeks, including the shipping time. Unit was sent on 12/5 via FedEx ground. Received by Uniden on 12/10. The repair status now shows the estimated shipping date to be returned to me is 1/09/2019. A new unit could be shipped to me in significantly less time. I am furious having spent over $600 on what has turned out to be a poor receiver on anything other than digital 7/800, a poor battery with a short charge span, and an overheating issue that I believe fried the radio. And now you tell me that I have to wait 4 weeks instead of two? Perhaps I should demand a refund and take my chances with Whistler. Mind you, I have been a loyal Uniden customer since I got into the hobby 30 years ago......

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Or sell it and move on. That will show Uniden. :)
As an educated consumer i opted to see how well the reviews were before purchasing one. I dont own one yet as i feel they are still working out bugs in manufacturing and/or firmware.
I was fortunate enough to borrow one for a few weeks. Its nice. But at that price point ill wait till my confidence level in the product is a bit higher.
Well that and i have a bunch of other equipment that does the job so im in no hurry to get one. More of a Want then a Need.

WeBeCinYa

Countdown to the "it was your fault post...". I mean really, you should have waited until after the new year to mail it in, or you shouldn't have listened to it so much resulting in the battery over heating...

Citywide74

Premium Subscriber
Or sell it and move on. That will show Uniden. :)
As an educated consumer i opted to see how well the reviews were before purchasing one. I dont own one yet as i feel they are still working out bugs in manufacturing and/or firmware.
I was fortunate enough to borrow one for a few weeks. Its nice. But at that price point ill wait till my confidence level in the product is a bit higher.
Well that and i have a bunch of other equipment that does the job so im in no hurry to get one. More of a Want then a Need.

Well, while I own several scanners, that was the only one capable of picking up my county's lsm system, and it did. I can't sell what I don't have right now. Uniden should send me a new one and be done with this

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The default estimated return date is set to 4 weeks after receipt. We have no idea how long repair will actually take until it is in front of the repair tech...and in most cases the repair is completed that same day. 4 weeks is generally much longer than it will actually take to repair, and represents nearly worst case. 2-3 weeks is more typical, but certainly cannot be guaranteed as when we receive the unit we have no idea what is actually wrong with it.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I sold my SDS100 and waiting for Whistler.

I bought my SDS-100 thru Amazon right after Nov 1 st which means I can return it before Jan 31st 2019 and test it and play with it and return it.

Most likely I will return it. But no hassles return with Amazon. Hell Yeah. I aint spending 650.00 bucks for a radio if its going to be a turd down the road. Plus yes I want to see Whistler stuff coming.

This go around for Whistler is either make it or break it at this point.

sprite1741

I bought my SDS-100 thru Amazon right after Nov 1 st which means I can return it before Jan 31st 2019 and test it and play with it and return it.

Most likely I will return it. But no hassles return with Amazon. Hell Yeah. I aint spending 650.00 bucks for a radio if its going to be a turd down the road. Plus yes I want to see Whistler stuff coming.

I did the same thing. I will give it a chance but It's probably going back, not good on VHF and UHF. Can't get the WX in the house where all my other scanners work. Lot's of other dislikes as well.

DJ11DLN

Lots of good reasons in this thread supporting my decision to never be an early adopter of any new gadget. I don't have much in the way of LSM issues here but if I did I would have been much more likely to get a G5 and give the SDS100 a year of field service before deciding to get one...or not to.

blackbelter

Amazon has and will continue to close accounts with repeated or mis used returns. Purchasing an SDS should not be treated as a " Mattress" for 90 days experience.
With all do respect , if spending $650 is a financial hardship for you, then dont.
Both Apple and Samsung have experienced many issues with their devices, as they are electronics and failure of some is part of the experience.
Thanks,

Reactions: RRR

wbswetnam

Lots of good reasons in this thread supporting my decision to never be an early adopter of any new gadget. I don't have much in the way of LSM issues here but if I did I would have been much more likely to get a G5 and give the SDS100 a year of field service before deciding to get one...or not to.

"Absolutely" to all of the above!

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Agreed with several comments here. The SDS100 was half-baked, and that's why mine was also returned. Never mind the reception issues that I documented, the battery / charging / excessive heating issues were just plain ridiculous. That size of device, with such a relatively crude processor, and such a small, relatively low resolution screen, should not get that hot. As we all know, electronic devices which suffer from excessive heat live short lives. Sadly I expect to see more of these "death by excessive heat" stories.

I am glad I returned mine, and am hopeful that Whistler will take a little more time to dial things in. They've had a soft ball pitched their way and it wouldn't be hard to knock it out of the park relative to the release of the troubled SDS100.

Oh, and since a certain someone is no longer available to say it I will: "firmware may fix this, you need to be patient" (sarc).

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Agreed with several comments here. The SDS100 was half-baked, and that's why mine was also returned. Never mind the reception issues that I documented, the battery / charging / excessive heating issues were just plain ridiculous. That size of device, with such a relatively crude processor, and such a small, relatively low resolution screen, should not get that hot. As we all know, electronic devices which suffer from excessive heat live short lives. Sadly I expect to see more of these "death by excessive heat" stories.

I am glad I returned mine, and am hopeful that Whistler will take a little more time to dial things in. They've had a soft ball pitched their way and it wouldn't be hard to knock it out of the park relative to the release of the troubled SDS100.

Oh, and since a certain someone is no longer available to say it I will: "firmware may fix this, you need to be patient" (sarc).

Your was "half-baked" but mine must have stayed in the oven longer because it's well-done.

Status
Not open for further replies.