SDS100/SDS200: Bluetooth Adapter?

Ensnared

Before I write this, I would like to say that I won't be back on the computer for several days.

I would like to hear recommendations for a Bluetooth Adapter & Bluetooth headphones or those blasted SOB ear buds. I would like for this device to work on my CB as well.

Recently, I thought I saw one offered on Scanner Masters, but now I cannot find one.

My criteria: a) Long battery life; b) easy to pair; c) range; d) compatibility with radio.

Thanks in advance.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
You aren't looking for HD audio from a 100, so any cheap Amazon bluetooth TX will do.
I got a couple Taotronics ones from them some time ago.

W6VVM

I’ve used a few of the $20-30 Amazon ones. They all seem to perform about the same.

One thing I’d recommend is to get a longer 3.5mm stereo cable to give it a little distance from your scanner. Your mileage may vary but I’m 99% sure it desensitizes my scanner when it’s connected with the little 3” cable they come with. When I want to roam the house with an earbud in, I use a 20’ cable and just have the Bluetooth transmitter sitting across the room from the scanner.

Ensnared

You aren't looking for HD audio from a 100, so any cheap Amazon bluetooth TX will do.
I got a couple Taotronics ones from them some time ago.

Is the lack of fidelity related to the earphone jack? I have not found one external speaker that sounds good on this radio. I was curious if the same crap quality occurred with a Bluetooth adapter as well. What I still don't understand is why stereo earphones sound great.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
I have a Sony SRS-BTX300 that makes SDS100 and SDS200 sound great, especially with the bass boost turned on. So the scanners can put out good sound through the right speaker, and a Taotronics BT transmitter.

Ensnared

What I would love to do, since a stereo plug will work in a CB external speaker jack is to have a Bluetooth with two connections possible. One would be for CB while the other would be for the SDS 100. I am hoping they make single stereo Bluetooth earbuds. I have a Sony Small Bluetooth that sounds great.

I don't know. Do these adapters work on CB too.

Ensnared

I have a Sony SRS-BTX300 that makes SDS100 and SDS200 sound great, especially with the bass boost turned on. So the scanners can put out good sound through the right speaker, and a Taotronics BT transmitter.

I looked and saw the Taotronics BT transmitter for TV, computer, etc. Please, give me the model number if you can.

W6VVM

Is the lack of fidelity related to the earphone jack? I have not found one external speaker that sounds good on this radio. I was curious if the same crap quality occurred with a Bluetooth adapter as well. What I still don't understand is why stereo earphones sound great.
Are you by chance plugging a mono 3.5mm plug into the SDS100? I think that would short the left and right channels and probably sound bad.

Ensnared

Are you by chance plugging a mono 3.5mm plug into the SDS100? I think that would short the left and right channels and probably sound bad.

No, I only use the following model of earphones on one radio only, my 436HP, Over the Earphone (Stereo Plug)

The same earphone does not work on my SDS 100, at all. It sounds horrible.

My Sony SRS XB01 Bluetooth speaker has an 3.5 mm input that I used to connect to my 436HP with a male-to-male 3.5 stereo cord. It sounded so rich and clear on my 436HP.

This Sony BT speaker also sounds like crap on the SDS 100 when directly connected to the Sony BT speaker.

This is the reason I am going BT.

When I first bought my 436HP, I plugged it into the auxiliary input to my vehicle. Afterward, I read where this would short it out. Therefore, I went to the aforementioned C Crane earphone.

W6VVM

No, I only use the following model of earphones on one radio only, my 436HP, Over the Earphone (Stereo Plug)

The same earphone does not work on my SDS 100, at all. It sounds horrible.

My Sony SRS XB01 Bluetooth speaker has an 3.5 mm input that I used to connect to my 436HP with a male-to-male 3.5 stereo cord. It sounded so rich and clear on my 436HP.

This Sony BT speaker also sounds like crap on the SDS 100 when directly connected to the Sony BT speaker.

This is the reason I am going BT.

When I first bought my 436HP, I plugged it into the auxiliary input to my vehicle. Afterward, I read where this would short it out. Therefore, I went to the aforementioned C Crane earphone.
It almost sounds like your SDS is defective. I use a similar single earbud with a stereo plug, but have also used conventional stereo headphones, and a Bluetooth transmitter with stereo male to male cord. I previously used all of these on my 436 and bought an SDS about a year ago which I still use them on with the exact same result.
Technically I never did an A/B comparison of audio quality before I sold the 436, but it doesn’t sound noticeably different.

Ensnared

It almost sounds like your SDS is defective. I use a similar single earbud with a stereo plug, but have also used conventional stereo headphones, and a Bluetooth transmitter with stereo male to male cord. I previously used all of these on my 436 and bought an SDS about a year ago which I still use them on with the exact same result.
Technically I never did an A/B comparison of audio quality before I sold the 436, but it doesn’t sound noticeably different.

I was afraid of this. I hope to God the BT transmitters work.

Ensnared

I just finished talking to a representative from Scanner Master about the audio output of the SDS 100 & 436HP. I told him that the SDS 100 audio output was very loud when compared with the 436HP. I told him that I suspected this was like overdriving a speaker. My C. Crane over the ear earphone splattered like the small Sony BT speaker (connected with 3.5 male-to-male stereo cable).

He indicated that Scanner Master was selling a lapel speaker for the SDS 100 with sound adjustment; however, they were currently out of stock. Since a lapel speaker is not something I am interested in using, I am relying on the BT adapters to work.

Ensnared

Wow, what a BT receiver makes on the SDS 100. It sounds incredible.

You and others were spot on regarding this fantastic product. It took a bit, but I fired that bad boy up and bingo, it sounded so damn good. I generally buy pairs of things. If I am on a long trip, I want a backup.

I have two great BT small speakers. I will be looking for a single BT bud, not twins. The other ear is reserved for CB transmissions.

When I got one working, I rushed out to the car and hooked it up to my CB. Yes, it worked, sort of. If you have talkback, it is like dropping several hits of seventies microdot. When you talk, it your minds and diction sounds like you've had a damn stroke.

I solved the dangling device by attaching Velcro to the back of the radio case as well as the left side of my hard leather case. Works perfectly!

I have nearly taken many dives off of my bicycle by wearing the case on my "leather swivel" scanner coupled with a earphone on one ear. I don't know why I did not die. Invariably, I would get the cords wrapped in the spokes, legs, arms, and neck.

I did not have much luck with a Plantronics BT, but I think these are specific to cell phones.

Anyway, thanks to all who helped.

Ensnared

If you don't mind, I would appreciate your help.

I bought two of these BT units and paired two things to one, a BT speaker and pair of BT earbuds.

So, I decided to try out my Sony BT speaker and pair it as well.

I could not get the Sony BT speaker to pair on either unit. It is currently paired with my Samsung phone, but the phone is not on.

Got any ideas?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Nature of the beast...

Make sure the adapter is set to (TX mode)
Power the speaker on, then put the speaker in pairing mode... Then power the adapter on (Holding the button down till it enters pairing mode)...
Let them find each other and they should connect...

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Mine can save up to eight devices.... It's a six year old adapter that's no longer made by Anker... Plua I have a Trond Duo that works the same way...
If you connect more... It's FIFO... First in first out...

Re-pairing the device should resolve and reconnect it though....

Ok... I just found the Anker manual... It say's if you hold down the button for more than 10 sec's... It will clear all saved devices...

Last edited: