SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 recommendation to prevent too much stress on antenna connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDogg795

Hey all,
Got my SDS100 the other day and I'd like to connect it to an external NMO magnet mount I have. My question is, what's the best way to avoid placing too much stress on the SMA connector? I've seen both the straight screw on that comes in the box as well as a 3D printed "over ring" that goes over it to support the antenna as well as the flexible cable type of adapter. Any input would be appreciated!

freqseeker

Depending on the antenna coax connector I use something like this SO239 to SMA male or this BNC female to SMA Male cable these are the most common depending and your mag mount. You could go longer for more strain relief. I have a variety of these to match the setup. BNC female to BNC male, SO239 to BNC male, Type N to BNC male.
I prefer to use a SMA to BNC adapter like what came with the radio, then connect your pigtail. The loss is very small.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I use the adapter that "jonwienke" sells...
But since knowbody can seem to get ahold of him these day's...

This one is the same thing... It sits on the raised lip of the scanner case with a ring that fits down into the ant mounting hole...
Very strong and stable... No flexing at all...

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
I bought one of these and they are identical to the ones that Jon sells. I bought the gold one and I can't tell it apart from the one I got from Jon last year.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Thanks "chill30240" for the verification of both of them being the same...
And there you have it... (y)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I bought some from Amazon.com

It includes other adapters as well. I've had nothing but good results with them.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Those will work...
But the two mentioned above are a solid one peice design... Thus no flexing at all the way they attach to the scanner...

Attachments

• IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 78

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I use 90 degree BNC adapters so the coax goes parallel to the floor rather than straight up out of the scanner.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I use 90 degree BNC adapters so the coax goes parallel to the floor rather than straight up out of the scanner.

If your looking at the picture... That's not coax cable...
It's an ant I made years ago...
But using a 90 defree BNC would work great with that SMA to BNC... No stress or strain on the scanners SMA at all...

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
90° is great unless you're carrying it.

Yes, not great for an ant on the scanner...
But for connecting to an outdoor ant it is...

Although, I have, at times. used a 90 degree to lay the scanner flat so it would not to tip over...

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I thought I was the only one who noticed the Uniden adapter sucked. My SDS 100 is fairly new. It took a very long time for the SMA to loosen on my 436HP. Hence, I bought a SMA 4-way to tighten it. The SDS 100 started loosening after I started to use the adapter that came with it.

Thank you very much for posting this, ordering now.

Status
Not open for further replies.