842B Tri-Band Remtroniks Antenna

MichaelC34

hey whats up lovely people, so I just wanted to start a new thread for a little review on this antenna but I did also want your thoughts if you had any experience with this antenna as well., cuz I am just a bit confused what the big difference really is with this antenna vs the stock one. The antenna is very a nice product it is well built and very sturdy, I do have some OCD so when I did get it I saw it that it had a slight bend to it and thought that was a problem but its just how these antennas are made. I feel that I did notice a difference on reception as far as picking up channels that my stock antenna would not pick up while I was in the same locations scanning with the stock antenna. The only thing im a bit confused about is that I maybe was expecting different results like the sound would be a lot better and would make everything miracolously sound great. Even though I do feel that the quality of the sound and such are really great on the radio and it seems like with this antenna their is definitely less static. So I just want to hear from others that have used this antenna and the experienced out there, so basically with this antenna it just picks up the channels easier that the stock antenna would not? Not really all about sound and quality?

Thanks guys!

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hi Michael, I'm glad the antenna radio combination is working good for you. Unfortunately all the antenna is going to do is give you better reception than the stock antenna. With less static things might sound better.

Some folks here might be able to give you a more technical explanation as to why the antenna works better than the stock antenna.

Again glad that you got good results!

west-pac

Not much more needs to be said, other than what @trentbob said. I concur, a better received signal, with less static, will make the audio more crisp, clear, and easier to understand.

One thing you could do to compare antennas, is sit in the same place and listen to a distant NWS broadcast, swap antennas several times while listening to that broadcast and see if you can hear the difference, or notice the signal difference on the signal meter.

MichaelC34

What i noticed with it is exactly what you just said, and yes i have tested that out seems like it picks up way more then the stock antenna thank you!

top13

Premium Subscriber
I recently got the 842b for my pro-106. I have not used it enough yet to make a determination. I am sure it is better. The problem is I listen to all bands. Aircraft to 900mhz. It is virtually impossible to find an antenna that works everywhere. I need to get my testing done.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have the 842b and the 810 and 820
The 842 is better than stock Uniden or Whistler but not as good as the 810 820 on 700 800 but better than the 810 820 at 150Mhz and 460Mhz
This is testing with TRX-1 Uniden 325p2, 436hp, SDS100 all programmed the same side by side in the car at the same time.

MichaelC34

Yep thats what I been noticing and its working great with Public Safety I can not complain especially the area I live in I pick up stuff 20 miles out sometimes

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Long explanation short, there are at least two things at play here:

1. The fewer bands you cover with an antenna, the better it will work on those bands. Conversely, the more bands an antenna covers, the worse it will work on each of those bands. The stock antenna is designed to work where the scanner works (with the possible exception of VHF Low Band).

2. Sometimes a company such as Remtronix (in this case originally GRE) will come up with a better antenna design then someone else. There are other companies that make antennas specifically designed for aircraft, railroad, or other specialties. Those will generally work better on those bands.

The stock antenna is a good all-band antenna. But, if you select an antenna that covers fewer bands, or less bandwidth within those bands, it will work better within those bands. For example, using a dedicated 450-470 MHz antenna should work much better on that band, but will work worse on other bands.

This is not to discount some other common antenna themes:

* The more you pay, the better it is likely to work.
* The larger it is (more capture area) the better it is likely to work.
* The higher it is, the better is is likely to work (except on Simulcast systems).

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
I have used the Remtronix 842b for some time now and found it to be probably the best "covers all" antenna in my arsenal so far...
It isn't quite as good as my Remtronix vu100b or Diamond rh77ca on vhf or the Remtronix 800b for 800mhz, but it is still better for what I listen to than the stock duck antennas, and more convenient than switching antennas when traveling.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So here's a strange reply, I used the "broomstick" for a while listening to, VHF High, aircraft, UHF 1 and 2, t-band, 7-800 MHz.

Overall good performance and much better to the woefully inadequate supplied antenna with the SDS 100. Not denied by many and those who do, it is questionable.. their reasoning.

I found some problems with VHF High which you would think would be the best performing area but when I put my hand around the antenna reception increased tremendously, uh oh. Oh boy.

7-800 MHz okay for close systems but certainly not as good as.. you know.

Here is what I use now on my SDS 100, the old, BNC standard stock antenna before x36 and SDS XXX. SMA antennas.

Isn't that something? It provides overall better reception except for 7-800 but if you're close to your system it works great but as far as VHF High, UHF or t-band. Superior. Just stumbled on it.

As always everyone's results might be different but that's the best all band, as I don't listen to any VHF low. Did some pretty extensive testing. Give it a try?

As always you'll get different results from different antennas that are exactly the same. Even the ones from GRE originally before they shorten them for Whistler??. If you've got several huge plastic Ziplock bags of antennas like I do, keep checking them all and you're going to find one that is perfect and others not so much. For those who know what I'm talking about try some of the older antennas, BNC, you might be surprised.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
I've noticed the antenna deficit with the SDS100 as well. I wish I had an extra one of the old BC100 antennas, those things seem to work decent on VHF High/UHF/800 even though they were probably designed with 800 not even close to being in the picture.

So far, I have found the Remtronix to be fairly comparable to the PRO-92 antenna at least in my area. It is definitely more sensitive than the WS1040's stock antenna. If you can find a PRO-92 for cheap I'd say go for it, just make sure it's one of the antennas with three rings near the base, not just two.