SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100 antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Yes but it won't cover any of them very well. It's so bad I'm not sure why manufactures even include them. They should have you purchase an optional antenna that's better suited for your needs instead.

You can purchase numerous antennas that claim to be "wide band" or "multi band" but most them aren't that great either. It's best to purchase an antenna that is designed and tuned for a particular band that you're most interested in. You'll find it might also work good enough for everything else if your close enough or if they have a strong signal to begin with.

No one seems to be interested in manufacturing a good portable rubber ducky antenna designed for both VHF and UHF aircraft.

So just like gun holsters, you'll end up with a big drawer of portable antennas in time.

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Yes but it won't cover any of them very well. It's so bad I'm not sure why manufactures even include them. They should have you purchase an optional antenna that's better suited for your needs instead.
Good luck with that! If Uniden or Whistler stopped supplying OEM antennas with their scanners, you'd see an explosion of negative posts here that would crash the RR servers and make a denial of service attack look like a slow day.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The antenna that comes with the SDS 100, will it cover multi frequency's ?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Previous poster (iMONITOR) is on the right track.

The answer is:
The stock antenna is a very bad compromise - at best.

First, what do you want to listen to most? For instance, if the majority of it is 800Mhz, get an 800MHz antenna (REM-810s).
https://www.scannermaster.com/REMTRONIX_800_MHz_Portable_SMA_Antenna_p/59-541920.htm

But, if you want to listen to multiple bands, get an REM-842S :
REM-842s performance antenna for SDS100 | Uniden SDS100 Police Scann
https://www.scannermaster.com/SMA_VHF_UHF_800_MHz_REM_842S_REMTRONIX_Triband_p/22-542056.htm

For VHF, etc, I'll let others chime in.... (RH77)?
I had to do a bit of Dremel work to get one to fit my 100s - do they make a specific one for the 100 yet)?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M1X73EA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Or, get the BNC and use an adaptor....

Last edited:

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Qualifier. I’m still learning about this radio. I purchased mine early last December I think. Little did I know… There is a learning curve. And I’m not giving up. And I’m not trying to be negative. Simply sharing experience.

I had read the Remtronix 810s was good. Didn’t research closely enough. Should have gotten the 842S. Consequently, I found that the stock antenna worked just fine for most of my local VHF stuff. Of course this was after many questions asked on here about filters and other adjustments.

Still learning and hopeful. I’ve had many different radios since the 1960’s and honestly, this one is not a really great receiver (IMHO)!Additionally, my Unication G5 outperforms the SDS 100 with the local simulcast systems too. I did take it to the Metro NY area recently and it performed well. I also put it on an external antenna I put back up. This also seemed to “open its ears” too!

As it’s been stated many times before. “Location, Location!” And YMMV!

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
If Uniden ... stopped supplying OEM antennas with their scanners, you'd see an explosion of negative posts here...

You took the words out of my mouth.

BTW, I tested the 842 models vs the stock Uniden antennas and found all were within 1 dB of performance. I posted a more detailed review in the thread referenced a few posts above.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
After all the good advice that’s been said, it boils down to this… first, identify what you want to monitor. If the stock antenna does it for you, great, no need to upgrade. However, if you find your scanner needs some help and you suspect an aftermarket antenna replacement would or might do the trick, go for it. I’ve got that drawer full of handheld radio antennas mentioned in an earlier post and have come to realize there is some improvement when the antenna is specifically cut for a particular frequency. But if it’s necessary to monitor using that uniquely required antenna, you are probably on the fringe anyway… and pushing the envelope.

There are those who enjoy trying different things in hopes of improving reception and even do it when there’s no need. And that’s all right too. It’s a hobby to most and experimenting is the fun of it… just be careful, you could end up spending a small fortune on all the claims aftermarket antennas purport to have. As for recommending where to start, for multi-band, my pick would be the Remtronix 842. I chose the BNC version for my 325P2 and use it with an adapter on my SDS100.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
An all-band antenna designed to cover 25 to 1300 MHz will never beat a band-specific antenna any more than using only a five iron would beat owning a full set of clubs. But to borrow a photography maxim: the best antenna is the one that's with you. Being as the SDS100 is designed for portability and covers such a wide frequency range, you'd need to bring a suitcase full of antennas with you to replace the one OEM. So while it may be a "jack of all trades, and master of none", it's the best alternative for portable use.

Status
Not open for further replies.