Uniden Scanners for the New User

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Merry Christmas! There are going to be a lot of new folks joining us on the boards as they unwrap their new toys, this year. This is an attempt to put in one place helpful resources to common answers for the new scanner owner.

If you've gotten a new Trunked Scanner, check out its Wiki page on this site for a great list of features and relevant links:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_Scanners

Just click the model on that page to go to the detailed model page.

Also, there are some good links for Uniden's Dynamic Memory scanners, as well as info on our upcoming scanners at:

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/ScannerManuals

If your audio is cutting out every couple of seconds, then you probably have one of the priority features turned on.

Close Call Priority -- audio will cut out every 2 seconds on all systems. If your model supports it, check out Close Call Do-Not-Disturb to keep the Close Call feature but lose the "gap."

Weather Prioirty -- audio will cut out every 5 seconds on all systems.

Conventional Priority -- audio will cut out every 2 seconds only on Conventional systems.

If your Digital Trunked System isn't being received, then maybe it isn't a digital system. Many analog systems include some digital channels and should be programmed as "Type II". While targeted to Uniden's next-generation radios, the explanation linked below applies generally to any trunked scanner and might help you understand what type of system to select in your system based on the RadioReference database entry:

Deciphering Trunked Systems

Got another helpful tip or link? Post it below. Please don't use this thread for general QA (there are plenty of other threads for this).

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Easier to Read Scanner Manual - Uniden Scanners & other scanners.
http://marksscanners.com

Easier to Read BCD996T/UBCD996T Scanner Manual
http://marksscanners.com/996/996.html

Easier to Read BR330T/BCD396T/UBCD396T Scanner Manual
http://marksscanners.com/330_396/330_396.html

RR WIKI - US Scanning Mailing Lists/Groups.
United States:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/US_Scanning_Mailing_Lists
Canada:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Canada

Scannerstuff Publication (Only cover some states)
http://www.scannerstuff.com

Monitoring Times - Radio/Scanner Publications
http://www.monitoringtimes.com

Last edited:

mathewslegacy

Thanks for all the great info....I have enjoyed going thru all of it. But I still can not find the answer to my 4 digit decimal question. I have a new BC340CRS and I realise that it is an entry level scanner. It only goes out to 3 decimal places. Our local fire/ems/police departments recently switched to a new radio system with some frequencies ending in a 4 digit decimal, with a majority of them not ending in zero. I can pick up the ones that end in zero just fine, but obviously not the ones that don't. Should I return this scanner and purchase on that does go out to 4 digits or is there a way that this scanner can have the 4th digit added. Thanks for all your advise.

rt4768

996T - Lousy Manual!

UPMan - thanks for posting the links, after reading this sad excuse for a manual that came with the 996T I got for Christmas, I'm going to need them.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the user manual for the 996T is absolutely horrible? I have been an engineer for 20 years. I have written more operator instructions, specifications, and technical papers than I can possibly remember. In my opinion, this manual was written by someone who has never written a manual before and has no idea of how to write instructions. A new user should be able to pick up a manual, read it, push buttons, turn knobs and obtain the desired result. This manual? Not possible. Who wrote this piece of crap anyway? For the price paid for this unit this manual should be a lot more user friendly. Well Uniden, you're probably really good at electronics, but your technical writing skills leave a ton to be desired! Try again!

scanstl

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the user manual for the 996T is absolutely horrible? I have been an engineer for 20 years.

I am not sure about the 996, but the BCT-15 manual was written poorly. It merely explains how to select each option, but there is little to no explanation of what the options do.

The biggest problem I have I posted in a new thread though regarding the reception as I can not tune anything consistantly!

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129105

Thanks for the welcome Christmas post!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
To reiterate from the first post:

Got another helpful tip or link? Post it below. Please don't use this thread for general QA (there are plenty of other threads for this).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually there's a better idea, I think - and it depends on whether Paul wants this on his Uniden wiki or here. We already have a DMA FAQ type document in the wiki - if you have additional things to add, please feel free to do it here...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_DMA_FAQ

In a forum, where the ideas can at times run on for multiple pages (just look at the Maryland milcom thread for an extreme example of this) it can be hard to go directly to the topic you want to cover. A FAQ can start to make this simpler.

Now if Paul wants to add stuff to his twiki site, that's no problem. Just link the article above to the one on the Uniden site. We already have an example of this where links are provided for the firmware updates.

If you have tips specific to one scanner - such as software - please put it there. It makes much more sense than having it scattered all over the place.

I have no problem with joining the 2 wikis 'at the hip' as it were. Remember, as long as you're registered here in the forums, you should be able to also edit the wiki. Please forward all userid issues to Lindsay, as neither bezking nor myself have access to that part of the site.

73 Mike

dsellers

Uniden 996

I have had fits programming this scanner. I bought ARC 996 and a membership to RR. I put up a big antenna in the attic and am recieving signals very well. I just can't program it. The manual is terrible. The manual with ARC is bad too. I am a ham so I can program radios. I simply can't isolate what I have loaded into the scanner and scan it only instead of every preprogrammed band it came with.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did you check out the Easier to Read manual? That link is in the DMA FAQ, which is linked in the earlier message in this thread. That would, at least, give you a place to start. One thing that got me, and I'm sure others, is to discard the concept of 'banks'. There's no such thing - you create your own 'banks' using 'groups and 'systems'. Once I got this concept, the rest was fairly simple, if very detailed. I have a 396, not a 996, but they're close.

Another thing to do would be to go down to the Louisiana forum and see if someone has some .m96 or UASD files you can import. When you have local questions like this, it's often best to get help from the locals. 73 Mike

KB5NJX

I have the BCT15 and have found that the bear tracker warning system (bear claw icon) will also cause your audio to cut out every two seconds, when active.

Last edited:

dougr1252

If your audio is cutting out every couple of seconds, then you probably have one of the priority features turned on.

Another thing that causes audio cutouts is CTCSS or DCS, also known as "PL tone". If audio cuts out on a conventional channel with CTCSS, try changing the modulation setting to "FM" instead of "NFM". If the signal is weak, you may need to lower the squelch setting too.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Looking for a part for a Uniden Scanner?
We've added a form that lets you directly request a part number/ordering information for parts that don't show up in our regular web site. Just surf over to:
PartsRequest < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

and follow the instructions provided. We'll normally get back to you with an answer with a couple of days.

e63

I just received my 396XT. Not able to lock out first preprogramed Alaska ALMR. The radio is flashing HOLD. Have been able to enter Oakland CA EDACS and receive. I'm familar with the 396T. Help and Thanks.

W6KRU

I just received my 396XT. Not able to lock out first preprogramed Alaska ALMR. The radio is flashing HOLD. Have been able to enter Oakland CA EDACS and receive. I'm familar with the 396T. Help and Thanks.

The flashing HOLD indicates you have set system hold. To turn it off, press Hold until it turns off. It is a long press. The reverse turns it back on.

e63

Thanks, The problem still exists with Alaska it is still being scanned. On the active system line first digits where normally SO shows however, when Alaska comes up it show S2. When S2 shows Alaska is still by itself. How do I lock it out. Again thanks for the quick help.

W6KRU

Thanks, The problem still exists with Alaska it is still being scanned. On the active system line first digits where normally SO shows however, when Alaska comes up it show S2. When S2 shows Alaska is still by itself. How do I lock it out. Again thanks for the quick help.

That line should show more than S2. Something like: S2: ***4*****. The 4 is just an example and this would indicate that you are scanning system 24. To turn it off you would press (.no)24 while scanning. You need some serious time with the owners manual.

e63

Thanks, it took me almost 30 days to master my first 396. I find the printed old style manual more natural. Some of us older folks born before computers are not as sharp. Again thanks for you help.

Brebuck

BCD396XT Quick Start Guide

This was originally posted in the general Uniden scanner forum but I thought it might more appropriately belong here. I am a completely new user myself, but I put together answers to many of the questions that i had w/the scanner initially. Since I am a rank amateur, I'm sure that there are errors and I hope that the pros on RR can suggest corrections or revisions. I probably should have added a little about quick keys and number tags but decided to minimalize.
I lifted a lot of material from the 396t manual and from Wikipedia.

I personally feel that if there was something like this in the 396xt box, there would be fewer complaints about Uniden's documentation.

Attachments

• REF.pdf
    96.7 KB · Views: 2,470
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.