RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Tech Support

Uniden Tech Support - For discussion of all technical aspects of current or future Uniden scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 11:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I haven't read every post in this thread, but how about a REAL, PRINTED MANUAL???

I'd even pay extra to get one!

Jim
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

This is what I want in my next generation Uniden.

1. The same casing and design as the BCD 996XT.
2. Bluetooth so I can have wireless headset to make the wife happy. She hates listening to the scanner
3. True ID talkgroup following on different systems.
4. A high quality speaker with some volume.
5. Want to be-able to add more characters to identify talkgroups

6. Last but not least a 3rd party vendor to hack encryption so we can have our true hobby back. This
might be asking for a whole lot but what the heck.
Old 10-25-2012, 3:31 AM

1. Drop in charger!
2. TDMA, P25 Phase 2
3. MPT1327 native tracking
4. Unlimited TGIDs & RIDs in a system - once you label all the channels, then a couple hundred Radio ID's - bang you're out of space on the system.
5. USB Data cable IN THE BOX. Even data transfer over a standard style USB adapter. Or, both in the same cable!

Last edited by ausscan; 10-25-2012 at 3:39 AM..
Old 10-25-2012, 8:10 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There are some good ideas here - so let's synthesize, and I'll add one or two of my own

a. TDMA Phase II decoding (including X2 compatibility)
b. NXDN (as I understand it the protocols for this were made available to the public just recently)
c. MPT-1327 (not much in the US, but overseas, yes)
d. Drop in charger (ham radios have had this technology for years) or intelligent battery charging (again, this should be doable - after all Maha and other companies have been doing this for a LONG time). This timed charging without any sensing when the batteries gets too hot is sloppy engineering
e. For the mobiles, detachable face plate that doesn't cost USD300 or so to implement. Utterly ridculous. Again, ham radios have had this technology for the better part of 20 years, and at a fraction of the user cost. Once again, that's just plain sloppy thinking
f. Hire the RR member - he knows who he is - that wrote the Easier to Read guides to write the manuals for these radios. The slap-dash crap that's supplied with Uniden's scanners is inexcusable.
g. A quality belt clip - c'mon, Uniden - again, the technology for this has existed for years
h. Included USB/serial cable - and you download the drivers from the web, not from a CD or jump drive, so you're assured of having the most up to date drivers for your OS. Again, this technology exists now

Mike

Last edited by ka3jjz; 10-25-2012 at 8:20 AM..
Old 10-26-2012, 9:13 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

CPQSK modulation, MotoTRBO, NXDN. Until then, i will keep supporting Harris, Motorola, and Kenwood.

Tim
Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2012, 3:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exclamation

Everybody has covered everything I want in a future Uniden scanner.

What I want (in addition to all of the above in everybody's posts): Optimized squelch hysteresis. Most Unidens are cursed with having way too much hysteresis in the squelch circuit, 6 dB to be exact. I've found from experience I like no more than about 2 dB of hysteresis at the threshold.

I don't know where the designers came up with 6 dB of squelch hysteresis as their design spec. It's WAY TOO MUCH in my opinion. 2 dB is about right. It's enough to provide a stable threshold but not enough to get in the way of reliably opening on a weak signal. It's about how much squelch hysteresis that top of the line commerical radios have and works well. It gives a nice knife edge sharp threshold and is stable.
GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)
Old 10-26-2012, 7:10 PM

I'd like to see my HP1 have automatic battery charging and a battery meter instead of it's hard timer. The unit gets pretty darn warm if the batteries get overcharged.
Old 10-27-2012, 9:56 AM

Default Like 396XT - hand held, programmable without computer

Like 396XT. For Apple computer users, retain ability to program radio without computer, USB interface, and interoperability with Apple computer OSs to download firmware upgrades.
- NXDN
- MOTOTRBO
- P25 Phase II TDMA and P25 X2-TDMA
Old 10-27-2012, 12:58 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I agree with the drop in charger. That would be really nice. Also would be nice to have the time on the scanners screen! Would be a nice little feature that wouldn't be hard to do.
Old 10-27-2012, 3:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It looks like it's already been covered well but I will say it again: The next generation scanners need to include support for MOTOTRBO/DMR. This format is becoming very popular with public safety and is already heavily used by business. In my area you literally cannot search through 1MHz of VHF or UHF spectrum without hearing at least one TRBO repeater. I expect the use of this format by public safety will continue to grow since Motorola is producing more public safety grade TRBO radios (i.e. the XPR7550, XPR5550); and because Hytera, Vertex and Harris are all making MOTOTRBO compatible DMR radios now.

Uniden also needs to work on fixing these issues:
  • CTCSS/DCS decode speed: Current Uniden scanners take far too long to decode CTCSS and DCS. Although I can't remember the exact numbers, I once did a test and it takes somewhere around 350~400 milliseconds for a 996XT to decode a CTCSS tone, versus 150~200ms for a commercial grade radio.
  • Disable the need for CTCSS/DCS decode after priority samples: Currently, if you have priority enabled and are receiving traffic on a NON-priority channel that has CTCSS/DCS enabled, the radio has to successfully decode the tone/code after it checks the priority channel before it will unmute the audio on the non-priority channel. Combine this with Uniden's long CTCSS/DCS decode time and it makes priority scanning almost useless.
  • Be able to search for CTCSS/DCS and P25 NAC at the same time: This should be pretty self explanatory, and I have no idea why it wasn't implemented to start with.
  • Decode P25 radio IDs on conventional channels without the use of an awkward "one-freq-trunk system": Again, this should be pretty self explanatory.

In addition, here are some other things that I would like to see, but probably won't:
  • True P25 mixed-mode support like what is found in commercial/public safety radios: This is the ability to have analog information (CTCSS, bandwith, etc.) and digital information (NAC, TGID, RID decode, etc.) in the SAME channel, and the radio seamlessly switches between the two modes depending on what is received. You can kind of do this now by creating one channel and leaving the CTCSS/DCS and NAC values blank, but this leaves the channel open to interference by not having CTCSS/DCS enabled, it will not decode radio IDs, and it takes forever to recognize that a signal is no longer digital and switch back to analog.
  • More rugged handheld design: It doesn't have to be public safety or even commercial grade quality, but I would gladly pay a little more for a better case design. I believe something along the lines of the Yeasu or Icom ham radios would be a good compromise between ruggedness and extra price.
  • Drop in rapid charger: This would be extremely convenient, and again I would gladly pay a little more for it. I don't know why Uniden or GRE hasn't already included this, even the bubble pack FRS radios at Wal-Mart come with drop in chargers.
Old 10-30-2012, 8:02 PM

Uniden or other source (i.e. when GRE comes back): P25 emergency button activation detection, notification, and ability to set it to priority on the scanner.
Old 11-01-2012, 7:34 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't usually partake in this type of thing. However, I have a request. How about redesigning the keypad to allow for keypad text entry and alpha tagging? Like the GRE units, alpha tagging is so much quicker via the keypad entry method than using the multi-function dial. If you are programming manually and have several thousand talk-groups to alpha tag, the keypad method saves having to scroll and scroll and scroll using the multi-function dial. Something to the effect of the old flip style cell phones.... Press number 2 once to enter an A, twice to enter a B, and a third time to enter a C. Much faster when tagging thousands of RIDs or TGs. Or, press the number 2 to be able to select A, B, or C. Then select 1 for A, 2 for B, or 3 for C. Entering the character automatically moves you to the next position where you can press 6 to be able to select M, N, or O. Then press 1 for M, 2 for N, or 3 for O. So, entering county disp would equate to entering the string of 2 2 6 3 8 3 6 2 8 1 9 3 . 3 1 4 3 8 1 7 1 and then enter to save. FUNC could toggle upper and lower case. The . key would enter a space. So much quicker than having to scroll to a C, hit 6 to move to the next character, scroll to an O, hit 6 to move to the next character, scroll to U, hit 6, scroll to N, hit 6, scroll to Y, hit 6, hit 6, scroll to D, hit 6 scroll to I, hit 6, scroll to S, hit 6, scroll to P.... A lot of scrolling. Not to mention that with each new character, you have to scroll from the beginning of the alphabet every time. Keypad entry would be much quicker.

Last edited by kf4sek; 11-01-2012 at 7:50 PM..
Old 11-01-2012, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4sek View Post
If you are programming manually and have several thousand talk-groups to alpha tag, the keypad method saves having to scroll and scroll and scroll using the multi-function dial. Something to the effect of the old flip style cell phones.... Press number 2 once to enter an A, twice to enter a B, and a third time to enter a C. Much faster when tagging thousands of RIDs or TGs.
Seriously?

(sorry, I just had to....I know others are thinking it....)

Old 11-01-2012, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkaczor View Post
I agree with the drop in charger. That would be really nice. Also would be nice to have the time on the scanners screen! Would be a nice little feature that wouldn't be hard to do.
Id like to have the time, yes sir...
Don't be fooled, I'm not a LEO!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8rcall View Post
Here you go

The official US time (NIST & USNO)
Old 11-02-2012, 12:44 PM

Personally I'd like a modern mobile scanner with the simplicity of the old BC400 model. Truth be told, the numerous features these products have can be a hinderance in a patrol car. With an enlarged display, programming via idiot proof software, and simple features such as Priority (as on the BC400) it'd be a hit for those who want or need a scanner in their car but lack the need to understand or use the rest of the features. Oh, also a button lock so when reaching for things around the cabin of the patrol car, my elbow doesn't consistently activate features which I (1) have no clue what they are and (2) have no clue how to correct!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:52 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8rcall View Post
Preferrably with an option for AM/PM or military time. As long as it has military time that would be god enough for me.
Old 11-02-2012, 1:30 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have said it before... Wi-Fi BSSID and a built in Web Server so that you could use ANY HTML5 web browser to get a GUI to control the radio. In the same venue, build an Web Services API so that third party software can easily program or control the radio via plain AJAX.

If that's too much, at least a real USB interface and have the full control of the radio possible from your computer with a supplied piece of software that either is bult into the radio or is supplied via web download or on a CD for both Mac and Windows that mimics the full faceplate of the radio, at a minimum.

Things are getting so complicated these days, I can;t imagine programming my BCD996XT via the faceplate controls!!!! Thank GOD for third party software ... I would be lost without it. Heck, even for conventional channel programming it is difficult to do it each and every time you get a new radio.

'Nuff said :-)

Oh I forgot... here is a great example of what I envision for a great future Uniden Scanner from the usability point of view.

Nikon D4 DSLR Wireless Control Demonstration - YouTube
Old 11-02-2012, 1:52 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

a scanner simular to the infamous br330t but with usb lsb
Old 11-02-2012, 5:51 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I would like the option of turning the backlight OFF in addition to the other options available. Running the 396T on battery power with the backlight off (in bright sunlight, for example) would extend the amount of time on a set of batteries.

More powerful speaker on the handhelds.

Russell

BCD436HP HP-1 BCD396T BCT-7 BC350C PRO-2052 ICOM R-75 BC175XL REGENCY R-1050 TDXone TD-Q8A YAESU FTM3200DR FT70DR