RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Tech Support

Uniden Tech Support - For discussion of all technical aspects of current or future Uniden scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 4:45 PM

1) Better decoding of multisite simulcast systems. It's abysmal now.
2) Catch up with TDMA, mototurbo, etc. decoding.
3) Black on white background display. The green and orange backgrounds are hopeless in the car when I'm more than a foot away.
4) Enough memory to accommodate big state-wide trunking systems.

Bob, WoNXN
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2012, 5:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default mute

how about a one button mute
bluetooth
keyboard data entry (usb)
Old 11-04-2012, 8:42 PM

wv montaineer thanks for the info on the uniden bc 170 that satisfied my question..Bob
Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 AM

nexedge, p25 phase 2, abaility to trunk edacs provoice systems ( thats what my pd is on and i have all my freq in convetional mode, and hear all kid's of of my city) a built in discriminator output would be super!
Old 11-05-2012, 1:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

P25 Phase II, MDC 1200 Data Operated Squelch! Louder speaker on portable. High pass filter on the speaker to get rid of the audible PL tone. normal front display plus small display on the top showing channel name ala APX7000
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2012, 2:53 AM

A lot of great wants and wishes, but I'm wondering what the next generaton of scanners will look and operate like. Will it be a 396-like body with touch screen technology that the HP1 uses? Will we see an HP-2? I am wondering if a physical key pad with buttons will become a thing of the past.
Will a new portable have all the software feature sets as the HP-1 extreme download for advanced trunking and search abilities?
I think having P25 Phase-2 TDMA capability is an obvious must have, I can't imagine any new trunking scanner not having that ability now that GRE has tapped into that new realm. Those kind of systems are popping up in many states now. Not having TDMA capability would be a waste of time.
BG..
Old 11-05-2012, 4:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The original post should have specified a baseline. I see posts asking for new features, and I see others asking for features that Uniden has already provided. For example:

My HP-1 has about 6000 Unit IDs, dozens of Groups in some Systems, and many other features that were asked for. It also handles simulcast reception virtually as well as the XTL and XTS series radios. Those radios use some non-P25 code to improve the voice, so no scanner will ever sound as good as they do.

I'm not sure where the "ability to turn the backlight off" came from, as every scanner I've had that was made within the past 10 years has had this - even the mobiles.

Some of the requests are simply not possible, such as the ability to change UserID on systems that only transmit it for the originating unit. You cannot display what is not sent.

I also agree that the minute a scanner comes out with TRBO or NXDN you will see everyone using the encryption option which is standard on most, if not all, DMR format radios.

That said, there is a very nice list in the mix.

As for the format, I've been saying for years I want basically an iPhone type/size unit (likely would have to be thicker) that scans the typical scanner bands. I also want user-upgradable/installable digital formats so the user community can develop new digital decoding modes when they come out (this would eliminate a lot of R&D work on Uniden's part, too).

Oh - someone mentioned OTAP (Over The Air Programming). The early DMA scanners HAD that. It was a failure because nobody used it. You set the scanner to a certain frequency, and it would receive programming over the air. I think about the only people who ever used it were the NASCAR programming folks. But, Wi-Fi and BlueTooth would eliminate the need for that anyway. BT would also give you many other options - such as using a BT earbud/headset/car amp/Etc. in addition to the data options.

Of course, all these options will cost money, so they won't all be added to the next scanner model. I sincerely believe that P25 Phase II will be added.

Oh, and the remote head? How much smaller can you make the HP-1? By the time you add a backplate for the display module, you only save about half an inch. Is that a route many people would pay for? If so, certainly the RH-96 would have been more popular which saved several inches (like 4 or more) over the stock unit, yet the RH-96 never sold well.

Something to keep in mind for the TRBO guys: The MotoTRBO trunked system format is not DMR compliant - it is proprietary to Motorola, so I seriously doubt it will be added. This includes ConnectPlus and CapacityPlus systems. I'm not sure if the simplex mode is DMR compliant either. So, all you might have on TRBO is a conventional repeater with two slots.

Joe M.
Old 11-07-2012, 4:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I would like to see something that is handheld/SDR hybrid. Something that has a new software architecture that allows 3rd party programmers to write apps for decoding various digital formats.
Old 11-07-2012, 8:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'll add one more:

- Wireless internet enabled, over the air firmware updates and web based setup/programming. This would then work will all OSs.

A cool Android app would be nice.

While your at it toss in a 2-Meter transceiver as well!
Old 11-07-2012, 8:46 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Come to think of it, I was thinking, if an iPhone or Galaxy S III can be so feature ladden for the size and price, why can;t our scanners be that small cool or similar? OK, so we want a decent speaker and perhaps a good sized Lithium Polymer pack, but at least the screen should be a nice one like a modern tablet or phone. Price has come down. Think of the components that go into a modern phone these days and the price point. Anyway, we can use a good screen and os. No need for 4 line 16 char displays, so limited!

And why make me buy a separate hockey puck GPS? Why not build it in? Again, cell phones have this and so do some new consumer Point and Shoot cameras.
Old 11-08-2012, 1:08 AM

I want a mobile radio with lighted rings around the stupid volume/squelch knobs! I also think an AMOLED display would be nice....I think white/blue on a black background looks really sweet....but I work in the dark not the daylight, don't know how it would look in the sun???

Paul
Old 11-08-2012, 8:58 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well, this may not be an idea for my next main line radio, but I am tired of using up radios that are fully featured to just serve a feed of a single frequency. I think EVERYONE would be able to contibute much more if we had a radio built for the purpose at hand.

So, I vote for a new model radio strictly designed for streaming ... I say it should be a minimum of a 10 radio box with ten separate receive frequencies concurrently and separately tunable to the entire frequency range that the radio supports. But it should at least cover Air, MilAir, Business, Emergency, Military and the VHF,UHF,800/900 bands with of course digital decoding etc.
. It should have a minimal screen and built in TCP/IP and built in TCP/IP streaming with full USB control built in. You can set up the radio via a computer to set the frequencies, the feeds for each etc... TCP/IP settings, DNS yada yada.

In the event that TCP/IP is too hard to implement, it should have an audio out jack per frequency and at least two of the radios have a DISCRIMINATOR out jack ...

This would be a killer product. One box, 10 streams, purpose built ... we would likely see many more feeds up and running 24/7 ...

Thoughts?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
Well, this may not be an idea for my next main line radio, but I am tired of using up radios that are fully featured to just serve a feed of a single frequency. I think EVERYONE would be able to contibute much more if we had a radio built for the purpose at hand.

So, I vote for a new model radio strictly designed for streaming ... I say it should be a minimum of a 10 radio box with ten separate receive frequencies concurrently and separately tunable to the entire frequency range that the radio supports. But it should at least cover Air, MilAir, Business, Emergency, Military and the VHF,UHF,800/900 bands with of course digital decoding etc.
. It should have a minimal screen and built in TCP/IP and built in TCP/IP streaming with full USB control built in. You can set up the radio via a computer to set the frequencies, the feeds for each etc... TCP/IP settings, DNS yada yada.

In the event that TCP/IP is too hard to implement, it should have an audio out jack per frequency and at least two of the radios have a DISCRIMINATOR out jack ...

This would be a killer product. One box, 10 streams, purpose built ... we would likely see many more feeds up and running 24/7 ...

Thoughts?
Actually, thats an amazing idea. I would love to see somthing like this. Not sure if we will, but it would be nice.
Old 11-09-2012, 3:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I say it should be a minimum of a 10 radio box with ten separate receive frequencies concurrently and separately tunable to the entire frequency range that the radio supports.

Thoughts?
Do you really think there will be a market for a $5000 scanner? If you receive 10 frequencies, that means it must have 10 receivers, and currently one costs $500 for a digital scanner.

Joe M.
Old 11-09-2012, 3:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Come to think of it, I was thinking, if an iPhone or Galaxy S III can be so feature ladden for the size and price, why can;t our scanners be that small cool or similar?

And why make me buy a separate hockey puck GPS? Why not build it in? Again, cell phones have this and so do some new consumer Point and Shoot cameras.
There is a whole other world of economics for cellphones. Your potential market is nearly everyone, so there is a lot of pressure to make small chips that incorporate as many features as possible. This R&D cost is offset by millions who buy these $750-$1250 phones compared with maybe tens of thousands who will buy a scanner.

And yes, the phones do cost that much. You only get them for $50-$250 because the providers are getting their money back over the two-year contract term (plus more).

Additionally, the phones only operate in a few very small frequency bands. They would not be able to use the same chips since you would want a much larger frequency range coverage. Some aspects should be able to be duplicated, such as the touchscreens, memory, WiFi, and BlueTooth.

On the GPS, I suspect the reason is because not everyone wants that, so making everyone buy it would reduce sales. But, an optional internal GPS would be great - particularly on a portable scanner. For mobiles, you really don't want the GPS internal anyway since the units are often mounted in locations that are not conducive to reception at GPS frequencies (IOW, they would not work very well). The mobiles are also usually in RF shielded cases to reduce RF interference which would reduce RF reception internal to the scanner.

Joe M.

Last edited by Voyager; 11-09-2012 at 3:49 AM..
Old 11-09-2012, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
On the GPS, I suspect the reason is because not everyone wants that, so making everyone buy it would reduce sales. But, an optional internal GPS would be great - particularly on a portable scanner. For mobiles, you really don't want the GPS internal anyway since the units are often mounted in locations that are not conducive to reception at GPS frequencies (IOW, they would not work very well). The mobiles are also usually in RF shielded cases to reduce RF interference which would reduce RF reception internal to the scanner.

Joe M.
The mobile models could still offer the same plug in GPS module that just connects to an already existing GPS antenna jack on the case. Much easier running a single external GPS coax than having to hook up, power, and supply the GPS input line on the current mobiles. This might even boost sales if a hand held and mobile were produced seperately, but both would accept the same "GPS module" (similar to the old plug-in digital "card" on the 250/785).

Last edited by Dewey; 11-09-2012 at 5:42 AM..
Old 11-09-2012, 6:55 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wink The Uniden SDR/Scanner

The Uniden base scanner that I like to have..
A SDR/Scanner with USB 3 control that uses the PC OS,processor and memory to run it.
With all the 996XT has plus..
-IF discriminator output
-P25 Phase II and P25 X2-TDMA
-DMR/MOTOTRBO
-NXDN
-P25 Standard Non-TRS Radio ID's (Single channel trunked for this is a major PITA)
-MDC 1200 ID Decode
-The ability to decode PL/DPL & NAC at the same time during searches.
-More than 10 custom search ranges.
-More talkgroups per system and ability to share talkgroups over multiple systems.
-GPS receiver either built in or as an option.
-Individual channel/TGID delay settings.
-Last active channel recall when you press Manual.
-Audio out thought the PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garys View Post
One thing that would be nice would be various software options so that if I don't want all the unit ID stuff you do, I don't to pay for it. Digital modes could be offered on the same basis depending on the hardware being built in to handle it if the proper unlock key was entered. That way if people don't ever listen to a particular trunking system type or don't have TDMA in their area (yet), they don't have to pay for it. If circumstances change, then they can purchase the additional keys.
Garys you hit the nail on the head!
Old 11-09-2012, 7:47 AM

Water resistant/proof
Rectifies Voice Inversion
Old 11-09-2012, 8:44 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Do you really think there will be a market for a $5000 scanner? If you receive 10 frequencies, that means it must have 10 receivers, and currently one costs $500 for a digital scanner.

Joe M.
The idea is that by sharing the common circuitry, the price should be less than the $5,000 you claim. Besides, what's the point if you still buy the 10 radios to do the 10 feeds? I have a feeling it can still be done for less than $1,000 ...
Old 11-09-2012, 6:17 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The trunking systems other want would be nice. I'd also love to see them play well with my Mac/OS. Yes I have a Windows laptop I used for programming but I detest Windows so I try to use it as little as possible.
Some OTAP would be a nice addition again as well. I never had one of the scanners capable of it but it would be very convenient.

On the cosmetic side of things. The PSR-800 allows you to change the colors of your alert lights to custom colors. How about giving us a way to change the backlight displays from the default settings. I like all of them but the white but giving us the ability to tweak them would eliminate some of the complaints I've seen from people who say those default colors aren't easy to view. You can set them how they work for you.
How about the ability to create custom alert tones to import into the unit? I like and use the default ones but I can make custom tones for my cell phone for different things. How about allowing us to do that for the scanner?
Speaking of phones. I don't want to see a scanner the size of a smartphone (way too small for me). I like the size of the 396XT/PSR-800 and the 996XT so those are perfect sizes. But I said this in the PSR-900 preview post, I'd love to see the display on the front be expanded to include more of the front display and be configured to work like a smartphone display. That way with a tap on the screen you can adjust displays, settings, etc, a swipe one way or another can bring up a numeric or alphanumeric keypad for programming for people like me that still like doing it by hand or just for a quick tweaking on the fly. Then one button push or swipe brings it back to the display screen set up with the settings you chose. I guess the HP kind of has something like this already but if taken to the next level and expanded on it could be wonderful. It could lead to a much easier to see and read display.

210XLT, 120XLT, BCT2, Pro-90, Pro-2048, Pro-94, BCT15X, PSR-800,BCD396XT,BCD996XT