How to determine the active voice frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
You can create a separate favorites list that includes the trunked frequencies but designates them as conventional. Then when the scanner stops on a frequency and renders a voice communication, it will display the frequency.

troymail

Silent Key
You can create a separate favorites list that includes the trunked frequencies but designates them as conventional. Then when the scanner stops on a frequency and renders a voice communication, it will display the frequency.

Swing and a miss... :wink:

I'm talking about listening to a trunked system and the radio stops on a specific talkgroup... I want to know what frequency THAT activity is on.

Also - I don't think your suggestion works for Phase 2/TDMA activity (which is the system I'm trying to do this on).

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Run Pro96Com or UniTrunker right next to it. :lol:

phask

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know how to determine - live or through recordings - what trunking voice frequency a user is on with the 436/536?
I think you can once the analyze feature comes out - seems like I can with the HP1. But if needed I use Unitrunker.

troymail

Silent Key
Ok... I see a pattern here.... All say I need a 2nd/different radio (plus other tools) to see the active voice frequency. I was hoping there was a trick/feature I haven't found yet.

I've wondered for a long time why it makes sense to display the TDMA slot on the display but not the frequency. What's the point?

phask

Premium Subscriber
Ok... I see a pattern here.... All say I need a 2nd/different radio (plus other tools) to see the active voice frequency. I was hoping there was a trick/feature I haven't found yet.

I've wondered for a long time why it makes sense to display the TDMA slot on the display but not the frequency. What's the point?

I don't see the point to see the freq. So what's the point?

brucewarming

Voice Frequency

That voice frequency will keep changing, multiple times in a conversation. As one other person said you can program each of the voice channel frequencies in that system. each transmit you will see the frequencies change. No you didn't ask, but you can "UID" Unit ID each person/car/sites radio.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe there is a way to set the scanner up so that it displays the active voice frequency.

I have ARC 536 Pro running in the Virtual Control mode. The active voice frequency is displayed in Virtual Control along with being recorded in the log file.

kma371

QRT
Maybe use a different display mode? I know on the xt models only "display 2" showed a freq. The others either showed the radio ID or TG ID.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That voice frequency will keep changing, multiple times in a conversation. As one other person said you can program each of the voice channel frequencies in that system. each transmit you will see the frequencies change. No you didn't ask, but you can "UID" Unit ID each person/car/sites radio.

UID's change daily or each time a radio is given to another person.

Some systems they don't but oftentimes they do.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I don't see the point to see the freq. So what's the point?

Seeing the voice frequency is very important.
It is a valuable troubleshooting tool for one.

I rely upon the voice frequency daily and for me it is as important as you being able to see the department name or talkgroup name.

So the OP has a very valid point.

I do think this is something Uniden can add in a FW update or make one or two lines display what the user selects in the profile instead of what Uniden thinks you should see.

I myself hate the dumbing down of info that is shown to the users but with smartphones, tablets etc, that is the way things are going.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Seeing the voice frequency is very important.
It is a valuable troubleshooting tool for one.

I rely upon the voice frequency daily and for me it is as important as you being able to see the department name or talkgroup name.

So the OP has a very valid point.

I do think this is something Uniden can add in a FW update or make one or two lines display what the user selects in the profile instead of what Uniden thinks you should see.

I myself hate the dumbing down of info that is shown to the users but with smartphones, tablets etc, that is the way things are going.

Not questioning the "motive" - just curious WHY??? Maybe it's something I'm missing and would want to try. So why does one really care what the voice freq is?

wtp

new is not better for all

if you are new to radio it is great if you just put in a zip or do gps and listen. but, some of us want more information and besides it helps all. the county next to me (desoto) changed control channels to a voice channel twice now. i sent in the update but if you had a hpwhatever you would get nothing until the update. i am not sure if they load just the cc ones or all but i suspect just the cc's. and still some only put in the red or blue. but what happens when they get a new one??? the t and xt folks can help and get the freqs sure but it takes time. ok just my 2 cents.

phask

Premium Subscriber
if you are new to radio it is great if you just put in a zip or do gps and listen. but, some of us want more information and besides it helps all. the county next to me (desoto) changed control channels to a voice channel twice now. i sent in the update but if you had a hpwhatever you would get nothing until the update. i am not sure if they load just the cc ones or all but i suspect just the cc's. and still some only put in the red or blue. but what happens when they get a new one??? the t and xt folks can help and get the freqs sure but it takes time. ok just my 2 cents.

I'm far from new to radio - (been monitoring since the mid-60's) and what you are saying means nothing. If you heard them and knew the voice - well that means you have the control channel. If they change the control channel - you would not hear them. If they change the control channel to a loaded voice channel that is not listed as a CC , well you will hear them. Might be nice to know, but I could care less and I just have not ever seen it done on systems I monitor, though I'm sure it happens.

I program all the systems CC and voice, in case of system failure and fall back they go to those voice channels. Again - I see no need to constantly see what voice channel a user is on.

Still waiting for an answer.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
It's interesting to see the VC and CC. I consider it just additional information.

My PRO-18 alternates between VC and CC. I just like seeing both.

Do I HAVE to see both? Of course not. But that's not the point.

wtp

i tried

i tried to find if the hp's held all the channels for a system just in case it changed.
we are here to help all and some radios are just set up with just the cc and alts in them it would be nice to help them. remember the database is set up by us.

JoeyC

About the only benefit to seeing the voice channel in use while listening to a trunked system would be for troubleshooting reception issues. Other than that the voice channel in use is irrelevant and most users would have no use for seeing it. I guess that is why Uniden decided it was not necessary to see. It probably could be an option with a firmware revision, but getting one that provides users additional features is not the Uniden way.

troymail

Silent Key
With the various comments - some supportive and understanding to my request - here's the reason:

I'm monitoring a system that has two sites - one north and one south.

I am WELL north of the north zone (read: the south zone is WAY off from my location).

I have detected (according to the x36) that I can receive (probably only sometimes) activity on the south zone.

What's odd is that I only seem to be receiving SOME talkgroups on the south zone (I only have the SOUTH frequencies programmed). The north zone is locked out.

I am interested in seeing the voice frequencies that are active on the SOUTH zone voice activity I'm getting to better understand more about why only some activity is being seen. I'really wondering if the SOUTH zone is somehow using 1 or more of the NORTH zone frequencies or maybe even transmitting on north and south zone frequencies at the same time (some of the talkgroups on the system are countywide and others can only be heard on one zone or the other).

On a positive note - the x36 seems to be able o pull in some of the south zone activity

On the flip side - it doesn't tell me enough about what it is receiving to understand what is really happening.

So - again, telling me which slot (0 or 1) of a frequency that isn't provided makes no sense to me... If it doesn't make sense to provide the frequency (as some have suggested), why does it make sense to tell me the time slot which is even less useful?

BTW - I'm relying on recordings to tell me the radio is seeing/hearing this activity. Even if the frequency can't be presented on the display (which I believe it could as an option), it would be nice to at least have it stored in the recording header for later analysis.

Hopefully I've satisfied those who feel there is no need now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.