BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Problem with my scanner SD volume connecting to my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0XOC

Premium Subscriber
Greeting all.

I'm new to the scanning hobby and came to this via HAM radio. I'm struggling a bit trying to find out how to deal with the an issue updating my BCD436HP scanner. I've talked with tech support and has this occur on two separate occasions. Let me spell out the situation.

I have a Mac (new with plenty of resources) and I'm virtualizing Windows XP (preparing to move to Win7). I know my way around a computer quite well (career thing) and know my gear is running well. I've replicated this issue using two separate scanners and spent about 1/2 hour on the phone with Uniden tech support. I know I'm running the current and current version of HomePatrol and have figured out a workaround but it's really not optimal.

So, when I plug my scanner into my computer and try to run an update, it works once, then any subsequent time accessing the scanner I need to remove the memory card and re-partition and format it for it to work again. Once I've done an initial update, when I connect the scanner to my computer, it mounds the SD card and I see my 'E:' drive but if I try and access it through Explorer, it just hangs the Windows UI.

Has anyone seen any anomalies like this? I'm just looking for some additional feedback or suggestions at this point.

Thanks.
-Eric

JamesO

Almost sounds like a driver problem and the inability to recognize a formatted SD card in the scanner?

The fact it does work once means overall the software is functional.

I have found that Mac has issue with USB as well.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Not a MAc user - but this issue has been mentioned several times, Mac's running one of the emulators will corrupt the SD card.

Again - some searching should show the solution if someone else does not chime in.

A 100$ Craigslist laptop would solve the issue :)

dmaria

Greeting all.

I'm new to the scanning hobby and came to this via HAM radio. I'm struggling a bit trying to find out how to deal with the an issue updating my BCD436HP scanner. I've talked with tech support and has this occur on two separate occasions. Let me spell out the situation.

I have a Mac (new with plenty of resources) and I'm virtualizing Windows XP (preparing to move to Win7). I know my way around a computer quite well (career thing) and know my gear is running well. I've replicated this issue using two separate scanners and spent about 1/2 hour on the phone with Uniden tech support. I know I'm running the current and current version of HomePatrol and have figured out a workaround but it's really not optimal.

So, when I plug my scanner into my computer and try to run an update, it works once, then any subsequent time accessing the scanner I need to remove the memory card and re-partition and format it for it to work again. Once I've done an initial update, when I connect the scanner to my computer, it mounds the SD card and I see my 'E:' drive but if I try and access it through Explorer, it just hangs the Windows UI.

Has anyone seen any anomalies like this? I'm just looking for some additional feedback or suggestions at this point.

Thanks.
-Eric

You did not say which VM you were using. I use the Fusion 5 VM on my iMac and MacBook Pro. Both of them work just fine with the Uniden software for the 536 and 436 and I don't have any issues with the OSX corrupting my memory cards.

Dave

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
The software, firmware, scanner etc. are designed to operate on a Windows platform. It does not and is not supposed to work on a Mac which is probably why its not.

Therefore using the wrong computer system causes many problems which can be rectified by using the proper platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.