RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Tech Support

Uniden Tech Support - For discussion of all technical aspects of current or future Uniden scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2015, 1:52 PM
Global Database Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

BC9000 was a nice size. It would be nice to be able to just enter a channel or two to listen without the scanner asking a bunch of questions (aka the 536). Sometimes its nice to sit in front of something and enter a few things without having to hook up to a computer and do adjustments.

780+9000 with modern features would be nice.
Old 01-21-2015, 1:57 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJH View Post
BC9000 was a nice size. It would be nice to be able to just enter a channel or two to listen without the scanner asking a bunch of questions (aka the 536). Sometimes its nice to sit in front of something and enter a few things without having to hook up to a computer and do adjustments.

I am with you to a point I will take a 9000 with a 996xt display. I would be quite happy with that.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2015, 8:42 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJH View Post

I agree with you 100% on it would be great to have the option of entering information manually rather than depend on a computer.
Old 01-21-2015, 9:06 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I always thought it would be awesome to have an actual home desktop scanner with all the bells and whistles instead of using a mobile scanner as a base scanner.
Old 01-21-2015, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally46 View Post
I always thought it would be awesome to have an actual home desktop scanner with all the bells and whistles instead of using a mobile scanner as a base scanner.
As a base station I agree with you.
I am using a 436 as both a base and in car. It is horrible as a base as it is not stable difficult to read screen and it keeps falling down.
In the car when I pick it up it stops scanning because of the side lever/function switch on side is activated by me grabbing scanner. I would think that this is a poor design so I just pick it up differently.
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2015, 9:38 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
It is horrible as a base as it is not stable difficult to read screen and it keeps falling down.
Have you ever thought about a metal bookend bent back a bit? That's what I used until I made a custom stand out of a charging station for cell phones.
Larry
Old 01-21-2015, 9:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I am using a 436 as both a base and in car. It is horrible as a base as it is not stable difficult to read screen and it keeps falling down.
In the car when I pick it up it stops scanning because of the side lever/function switch on side is activated by me grabbing scanner. I would think that this is a poor design so I just pick it up differently.
Try a stand of some kind. That will give the scanner much needed stability and keep it at an angle for better viewing of the screen. They're available on eBay and I think Scanner Master has them as well.

Old 01-21-2015, 9:42 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Grab it from the bottom and problem is solved.Below the screen and grab and yes it going to be horrible as a base because it is a handheld.

Old 01-21-2015, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule1075 View Post
Grab it from the bottom and problem is solved.Below the screen and grab and yes it going to be horrible as a base because it is a handheld.

That's what I have to do or grab it anywhere else and don't touch the keyboard otherwise something will get activated and cess to scan. I could engage the lock button but then that limits me if I need to make some kind of adjustment or volume adjustment etc.
Old 01-21-2015, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWI_Scanner_Guy View Post
Try a stand of some kind. That will give the scanner much needed stability and keep it at an angle for better viewing of the screen. They're available on eBay and I think Scanner Master has them as well.

The thick cable from the ST-2 antenna t makes it very difficult to position scanner. I actually position the antenna cable to move or stablize 436 handheld scanner.
Old 01-21-2015, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8IAA View Post
Have you ever thought about a metal bookend bent back a bit? That's what I used until I made a custom stand out of a charging station for cell phones.
Larry
Not sure how to picture this custom stand. Perhaps I will check scanner master or some for a stand but my solution will be to get a full size desktop scanner maybe HP-2 or if Whistler comes out with something.
I don't like having to move handheld scanner on a constant basis between car and house and screwing and unscrewing antenna since this puts unneccesary wear on antenna connector on scanner.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:12 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default If cost

Is a barrier, this is two 99 cent card holders, lashed together. Works just fine for my needs, as these
are across the room and I have no trouble with stability or reading the displays with my tired eyes.
Being a lifelong Californian, I took a minute to secure the card holders to the top of the BCT15x at the
top of the rack with a tiny bit of Quake Hold.

I have one of the hand built stands on order, should be here next week. If it is all it appears to be, I will order a few for my (too many) handhelds
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcotor View Post
Is a barrier, this is two 99 cent card holders, lashed together. Works just fine for my needs, as these
are across the room and I have no trouble with stability or reading the displays with my tired eyes.
Being a lifelong Californian, I took a minute to secure the card holders to the top of the BCT15x at the
top of the rack with a tiny bit of Quake Hold.

I have one of the hand built stands on order, should be here next week. If it is all it appears to be, I will order a few for my (too many) handhelds
nICE and inexpensive. Where did you get those card holders?
Old 01-22-2015, 9:21 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

.99 Cents Only Store
Old 01-22-2015, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Not sure how to picture this custom stand. Perhaps I will check scanner master or some for a stand but my solution will be to get a full size desktop scanner maybe HP-2 or if Whistler comes out with something.
I don't like having to move handheld scanner on a constant basis between car and house and screwing and unscrewing antenna since this puts unneccesary wear on antenna connector on scanner.
RAM mounts solve the first problem. Get one with a suction cup if you don't want to use screws.
Amazon.com: Ram Mount RAM-HOL-UN4U Universal Finger-Grip Phone or Radio Holder (Black): GPS & Navigation
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The second problem isn't one. Use the BNC adapters that came with the scanner and ST-2, and all the wear from connecting and disconnecting cables gets put on the adapters, not the scanner itself. And it will be faster.
Old 01-22-2015, 2:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
I want one like this, listens to P25 1 and 2, and about everything else.
IC-R9500 Communications Receiver - Features - Icom America
a 14000 dollar receiver that you need to buy a digital card for to hear P25.. no thanks.
Old 01-22-2015, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
RAM mounts solve the first problem. Get one with a suction cup if you don't want to use screws.
Amazon.com: Ram Mount RAM-HOL-UN4U Universal Finger-Grip Phone or Radio Holder (Black): GPS & Navigation
Amazon.com: Ram Mount 2 x 1.7 Inches Base with 1-Inch Ball that Contains the Universal AMPs Hole Pattern for the Garmin zumo/TomTom Rider/Urban Rider: GPS & Navigation
Amazon.com: Ram Mount Composite Short Double Socket Arm for 1-Inch Ball Bases: GPS & Navigation
Amazon.com: RAM Twist-Lock Suction Cup Base with 1 inch Ball: Computers & Accessories

The second problem isn't one. Use the BNC adapters that came with the scanner and ST-2, and all the wear from connecting and disconnecting cables gets put on the adapters, not the scanner itself. And it will be faster.
Thanks for that info.
Those first above items in Amazon are primarily for car use? If so that's fine too because I also need a secure mount for 436 until I get dedicated scanner for this older car either a HP-2 or Whistler?

My newer car has a cup holder and the base mount goes into that then has an arm that attaches to a cradle. Excellent car install and scanner is secured.

Now my older car has no cup holders. One of those mounts looks like a suction cup to attach to windshield but I can't imagine that being successful because of the shape of the handheld scanner 436 and location on windshield. For my old car, I could use a secure mount but not sure what it can mount to because there is nothing but plastic console and seat in the middle.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:43 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You could also consider a seat bolt mount. I have used them in a variety of applications, and they can be had nowadays for scanner/phone use for about $25 on Amazon, or even at mountguys.com

Here's the Amazon link for the one I am currently using: Amazon.com: Arkon Smartphone Seat Rail or Floor Car Truck Mount for Apple iPhone 6 Plus 6 5 5S 5C Samsung Galaxy Note 4 3 2 Galaxy S5 S4: Cell Phones & Accessories

Took me 5 minutes to install in my daily driver, and holds any of my handhelds fine with just the stock holder attached. I will add that the stock holder isn't enough for a 436 if you have one of the bulky cases.

Come to think of it, this comes with a plate for floor mounting, so you could mount it to a desk or table too.
Old 01-23-2015, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that info.
Those first above items in Amazon are primarily for car use? If so that's fine too because I also need a secure mount for 436 until I get dedicated scanner for this older car either a HP-2 or Whistler?
It's a completely modular system. The components I linked are what I use to secure my 436 to my coffee table at home. In my truck, I substituted a second ball mount plate for the suction cup, and bolted the ball mount plate to the center console. You can get longer connector clamp modules if you need, you can totally customize your mount to the device and the location by mixing and matching the components you buy.
Old 01-23-2015, 1:12 PM

Quote:
The thick cable from the ST-2 antenna t makes it very difficult to position scanner. I actually position the antenna cable to move or stablize 436 handheld scanner.
This is what I use. Have one in car and one in house. Work great.
Attached Images