Uniden BCD396XT Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryyvr

While my Uniden scanner was on I accidently hit a button while it was on scan mode on edacs sysytem. My display now reads "Scan Mode" "Nothing to scan". Could someone please assist me in how I can start my scanning again.

Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
While my Uniden scanner was on I accidently hit a button while it was on scan mode on edacs sysytem. My display now reads "Scan Mode" "Nothing to scan". Could someone please assist me in how I can start my scanning again.

Thanks
Most likely, you hit a number key, and accidentally toggled off the one active Quick Key.

See Nothing to Scan - The RadioReference Wiki
for more.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Any idea on how to recover it? It seems as if all the keys are locked as it beeps.
If you see a small key icon in the upper right area of the display, then you have the keypad locked. You can unlock that by pressing the Function key (the top button on the left side under the rubberized cover) and then press the power button.

Once you've done that, follow the steps in "Nothing to Scan" to go back and turn your system back on. You could also go in through the Program menu (accessed with the bottom button on the left side), then Program System, and then into the system you want to turn back on.The lockout for a trunked system is set at the Site level.
So:
Program key
Select Program System
At the Select System screen, scroll to the system you want to modify to highlight it.
Press "E" (enter) to select the system
Scroll to highlight Edit Site
Press "E"
Scroll to select the site name
Press "E"
Scroll to select Set Lockout
Press "E"
Highlight the 'Unlocked' setting & press "E"
Now press Scan to resume scanning.

wtp

place

it would show up where the battery voltage is
if you press on the top knob and it says keypad lock that will answer the question

teufler

If you have Freescan, hook up the cables and download the radio. You can then see everything thats locked. Also if you have used Freescan before , just reload your last file and your back in business.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I don't have freescan. I'm just wondering if i just clear the site & start fresh again?
Why would you do that?

If it was correctly programmed originally (by that, I mean you were able to monitor the system you wanted), then it sound like your "nothing to scan" has occurred because you managed to lock out the only active system or talkgroup in the scanner. That you could do by hitting a quick key number, or the lockout (L/O) for a talkgroup. A single, accidental, key press is not going to delete or modify your programming (other than the lockout status). Deletion or modification (or editing, if you prefer the term) requires a series of keystrokes, and selection of appropriate menu options.

Try resetting the lockout as I suggested earlier. If that does not work, or if you'd really prefer starting 'all over again', you can clear the scanner memory by turning it off, then pressing & holding the 2, 9, & <Hold> keys while turning the scanner back on. You'll get a prompt warning you that this will clear the scanner memory, so accept that, and you'll get another prompt asking if you want to load the pre-programmed systems that came in the scanner originally. I would say "no" to that, since that information is mostly out of date, and would include information from all the states.

Personally, I wouldn't go to that extreme, which is like using nuclear weapons on a fire ant mound. I'd correct the lockout status of the existing system & or talkgroups. The Nothing to Scan page linked above and the Easier to Read manual both have details on how to edit your existing system.

The use of software, such as FreeSCAN, ProScan, or ARC-XT would allow you to simply reload the scanner programming in a couple of minutes,, and you would be back in operation.

teufler

well, we have all hit a button or two. What software do you have? What ever, just load the radio with you last file .When you are looking at the screen, if you see asteriks on the bottom of the screen, that tells you something or everything is locked out.

terryyvr

As suggest by other members on here I turned off the scanner, then turned the scanner on by holding the "2" & "9" keys then turning the "on" button. When it came on "Scan mode nothing to scan" still comes on.

To answer another question I have programmed the scanner manually on the edacs as I only monitor the 1 group.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
As suggest by other members on here I turned off the scanner, then turned the scanner on by holding the "2" & "9" keys then turning the "on" button. When it came on "Scan mode nothing to scan" still comes on.

To answer another question I have programmed the scanner manually on the edacs as I only monitor the 1 group.

The instructions given were to hold down three keys... "2" - "9" - "hold"

and then power on the scanner.

or if you'd really prefer starting 'all over again', you can clear the scanner memory by turning it off, then pressing & holding the 2, 9, & <Hold> keys while turning the scanner back on.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
2+9+HOLD while powering on will erase everything programmed into the scanner. I don't think you really want to do that. Since we have no idea how your scanner is programmed, it is virtually impossible to give you precise steps to recover from what you've done. In pressing a random key accidentally, I'm going to guess you pressed either L/O (twice), F+L/O (again, twice) or you pressed a number key which happened to be the quick key assigned to the only thing being scanned.

You need to either unlock what you locked out or re-enable the QK that you disabled. Without having the scanner physically in my hands (or a Freescan image of what is programmed into the scanner), neither I nor anyone else will be able to tell you specifically which of the above you need to do nor how to undo it.

If you programmed it yourself, then you might recall whether you assigned a QK. If you did not, then the only option left is that you locked something out (and permanent L/O requires a double keypress). You need to go through every element you programmed (each site, site frequency, channel group, and channel) and unlock everything that is locked out.

terryyvr

I program my scanner manually & just monitor the 1 talk group on the EDACS system.

So it looks as if I'm all set now to start reprogramming manually & the earlier issue i had is gone. Could someone walk me through the steps on how to program maunally again? I got as far as system 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.