Complete Newbie needs some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcott85

Hi,

I purchased a Uniden BC125AT just so I could monitor my local police, fire, etc. communications.

This is the first time I have ever used a scanner. I went to this website to find the frequencies for programming my scanner.

The first frequency for my PD is: 853.77500. When I try to enter it, the scanner says "out of band." I is there an update or any setting I can change to get my scanner to accept this? If not, it looks like I can't get and PD frequencies on this scanner.

If I can't get it on this scanner, do you have any other recommendations for an entry level (inexpensive) scanner that could get that frequency?

I would also be looking for one that is super simple to use.

Also, what is the easiest and fastest way to program my scanner for multiple frequencies / stations once I have one that can scan that frequency?

I appreciate all of your help!

elk2370bruce

It is quite possible that the police department is using a trunked system in which there are a number of frequencies involved and this requires some additional programming. As stated, it would be helpful if we knew what your location is (city/county/state) but it defintely has nothing to do with amateur radio. Give us some more information for any meaningful answer.

N8IAA

Hi,

I purchased a Uniden BC125AT just so I could monitor my local police, fire, etc. communications.

This is the first time I have ever used a scanner. I went to this website to find the frequencies for programming my scanner.

The first frequency for my PD is: 853.77500. When I try to enter it, the scanner says "out of band." I is there an update or any setting I can change to get my scanner to accept this? If not, it looks like I can't get and PD frequencies on this scanner.

If I can't get it on this scanner, do you have any other recommendations for an entry level (inexpensive) scanner that could get that frequency?

Also, what is the easiest and fastest way to program my scanner for multiple frequencies / stations once I have one that can scan that frequency?

This scanner does not receive above 512MHz.
Larry

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thread moved to the Uniden Owner Tech Support forum since the OP's question had nothing to do with Amateur Radio.

Hit_Factor

You might start by posting in one of the appropriate scanner forums on this site.

Nice welcome for someone who is just getting started.

Providing a little more info could have helped him down the path of success.

Something like telling him how the forums are setup and that Uniden specific forums exist.

Everyone starts with no knowledge and learns from there.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Hi,

Welcome to RadioReference. Click on the link below for more information on the features of your scanner. Note the "Frequency Coverage". As stated above your scanner does not cover the 800 MHz. band, so 853.77500 is out-of-band.

BC125AT - The RadioReference Wiki

You would need something like the BC346XT. (Around $200).

Freescan is the easiest software to program your scanner.

Also you may want to consider one of Uniden's Home Patrol scanners, which only require entering your zip code to scan your area, however they cost around $300 and up. They are very simple to use and provide digital capability should your area upgrade to digital.

Last edited:

captncarp

newbie help

tcott85 pay attention to what W8RMH wrote as that is the most sensible advice for you. Either scanner that he listed is spot on for you although the HP is easiest to get up and running but the price factor is up to you. I have tried both and prefer the BC346XTC mainly because I can put it in my shirt pocket and take it anywhere.

DMC

tcott85

Thanks for the help W8RMH. I did try posting my original post in a Uniden help forum, but when I clicked "new thread" it said I didn't have access to post there, so I went to a different forum.

The BC346XT looks like the scanner that would fit what I am looking for. I only found the the BC346XTC, with a "C" in the model number, on Amazon. Is that the same scanner? Anything with that one that you would see as an issue for me? It is currently $199.

I really appreciate the help and insight.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.