HP-1: HomePatrol-1/2 internal GPS mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrogoth13

I was looking here:

VK16E Module Gmouse GPS Module SIRF3 Chip GPS Module w Ceramic Antenna TTL Level | eBay

I wonder if we could bypass the serial port on the back of an HP scanner and mount one of these boards inside to provide GPS location data all the time? 5 wires, two for power, one ground and two data. This board uses the same chipset as the Uniden GPS does. All we need to know is what pins on the back of the serial port do we solder the two data wires to.

Ideas?

Last edited:

Voyager

I was looking here:

VK16E Module Gmouse GPS Module SIRF3 Chip GPS Module w Ceramic Antenna TTL Level | eBay

I wonder if we could bypass the serial port on the back of a HP scanner and mount one of these boards inside to provide GPS location data all the time? 5 wires, two for power, one ground and two data. This board uses the same chipset as the Uniden GPS does. All we need to know is what pins on the back of the serial port do we solder the two data wires to.

Ideas?

RXD and Ground. Ring out a GPS cable which has a standard config on the GPS end. That will tell you which pins you want.

Curious,,
I wonder if that would be feasible on handheld units,like the 396XTor 436HP..
Same idea in principal..Theres usually plenty of room in the cases to make it fit...

dkf435

How about just plugging one in when it is needed and unplugging when not that way the rest of us do not have the added current draw and a lot less noise. What 5-10 % of the time you do not know where you are at?

David Kb7uns

BobW55

I do not know about the other scanners.
The HP-1 has large pads for the GPS data connections on the board.
Problem would be that there is very little usable space to place the GPS chip inside.
I removed the non standard USB connection on my HP-1 and replaced it with a 1/8" stereo connector.
I only did this because the USB connector pulled loose from the board.

dkf435

Obviously you're unfamiliar with the concept of traveling with a scanner...

Sorry but I am familiar and most of my travel time is with in 50 miles of home so the system does not change..

When traveling further I plug the scanner in to dc power cable and the GPS cable and from the GPS sitting on the dash and external antenna. It locks up in 3d and it goes in location controlled scanning.

Walking around with a scanner that has an internal noise maker as much some of these GPS's make does not make sense plus the extra current draw.

David Kb7uns

Astrogoth13

I was thinking along the lines of a switch in the GPS board's power leads on the scanners rear to enable it for the few moments needed to get a fix then power down. That is assuming it is noisy and a power hog, neither of which I know to be a fact. No ferrite beads on the "noisy" Garmin GPS unit.

Anyhow I'm not even sure it will fit inside at all so let's play nice.

dkf435

The bulk of the noise may very well be coming from the display circuit in the Garmin that I used.

I have been collecting the old yellow Delorme Tripmate GPS's and have a bag of the Hirose connectors and will be modifying those to self start and plug directly into the Uniden scanners. A set of 4AA NiMh batteries will go for the day of driving and it is self contained and 5 channels give more then enough accuracy a toggle switch on the battery lead will give more time and they will cold start in usually less then 10 minutes.

When running the VX-8R that I have you must switch to the large battery to get through the day. Have seen speaker mics with a GPS inside and that may help with being on the dash for separation from receiver and having sky view.

David Kb7uns

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I think the Uniden GPS puck would be a much better choice, given it usually locks on in a few seconds, and is small enough that it is more likely to fit in the scanner case.

Status
Not open for further replies.