BCD396XT/BCD996XT: priority assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

adymoe

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, I need help learning how to use preemptive priority with this scanner (BCD996XT). The easy to read users manual didnt help me much. Basically I have 1 system, in that system is 2 TG's...local police and local ems. In my police talk group I have 2 channels (8782, 3776), in my ems talk group I have 1 channel (35072). I want to prioritize channel 8782 over the other 2 if thats possible. I dont think Priority ID is the correct mode for this as the manual said preemptive priority works for Motorola Systems which is mine. I just want to be able to hear the channel 8782 over 3776 & 35072 when they are talking at the same time. Thanks guys!

Voyager

That TG has to be assigned by the SYSTEM as a priority TG as well. If it is not, the preemptive priority will not work.

Also note that trunked priority is controlled at the system level in the menu, and not by the PRI button. The button only toggles conventional priority channels.

adymoe

Premium Subscriber
Oh okay I didnt have that TG assigned. How do you to that? And your saying I cant prioritize with fleetnet? That doesnt make much sense for it to work like that

Voyager

The system manager assigns TGs as priority on the system. If you don't know how, you are most likely not the system manager.

adymoe

Premium Subscriber
im sorry Im really confused. Im kind of new to this and dont know what a system manager is. I cant assign a TG as priority on my own scanner?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
No, not on Fleetnet.

To use the feature, the system must support it. Since the users of the Fleetnet system do not need it, it has not been implemented.

Voyager

im sorry Im really confused. Im kind of new to this and dont know what a system manager is.

That's the guy in charge of the radio system you are monitoring.

And if Mike is correct, they have not assigned any priority TGs which means it will never work on your scanner.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It's easier to understand the US Congress than it is to understand priority "stuff" when it comes to the interaction traunked radios systems and scanners.

There are different types of trunked radio systems, as you have seen. If it is a Motorola system, the manager of that radio system (that's the "system manager") can set talkgroups up to be priority talkgroups. For example, fire talkgroups can be priority over dog catcher talkgroups.

If your community is using a Motorola trunked system and that radio system's manager has set up priority talkgroups in that system, you could take advantage of that with your scanner by using Preemptive Priority ID Scanning.

Let's say your community's Motorola system has set Fire Talkgroup 1 as a priority talkgroup. You have programmed your scanner so that Fire Talkgroup 1 is a priority takgroup/channel. If you are listening to Dog Catcher 1, and someone begins transmitting on Fire Talkgroup 1, then your scanner will jump to Fire Talkgroup 1.

So three conditions have to be present for Preemptive Priority ID scanning. 1-Motorola trunking system, 2-talkgroups have to be programmed in that system to be priority talkgroups and 3-your scanner is programmed for those talkgroups to be priority. If any of these are missing, then priority scanning on your scanner is a little different.

adymoe

Premium Subscriber
Ohh okay I see. So unfortunatley I have no control over that than. Well that sucks, I cant stand when EMS talks over Police and I miss hearing information

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Well you still have some priority that can be used - priority id scanning. While it doesn't pre-empt a conversation, when there is a break in the original and the scanner goes to the control channel it would "give way" to a talkgroup you have assigned as priority. That's regardless of system type. So if you have police as priority and both ems and police are trying to talk, the scanner would go to police. Better than nothing. I use priority Id scanning and get decent results.

adymoe

Premium Subscriber
Thanks ofd8001, so according to the manual it says "The scanner can only look for priority IDs in the trunked system it is*currently*scanning." Does that mean if I have it set to ID search rather than ID scan...priority wont work?

Voyager

Priority will work whether using ID SEARCH or ID SCAN. It will not work while scanning other trunked systems or conventional systems.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Thanks ofd8001, so according to the manual it says "The scanner can only look for priority IDs in the trunked system it is*currently*scanning." Does that mean if I have it set to ID search rather than ID scan...priority wont work?

What that means is the trunked radio system has to be "active" for Priority ID Scanning to be functional. Priority ID scanning doesn't work if the scanner hasn't "locked-on" to a trunked system.

An example may be easier to understand. Let's say you are scanning a trunked system, which has Priority ID Scanning configured. You are also scanning some conventional systems too. If the scanner stops on a frequency for a conventional system (meaning the trunked system is "inactive") it will NOT look at the trunked system for activity on a priority talkgroup.

Or perhaps another way of saying it, the scanner has to be receiving the trunked system's control channel for Priority ID Scanning to be functional. If the scanner is receiving a conventional frequency, then the trunked system's control channel is not being received by the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.